What do you guys think about Oprah's teachings?

I-can-see

Jan 12, 2010
Atlanta
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mom used to love the MESS outta Oprah. She was, and still is, an idol that many woman look up to. Then we hear about her religion. She say's that she is christian, but what she speaks about is contrary in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCxCz2Q5Nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM5ILOsHLnw&feature=related

Those are just a few links. I think that Oprah has gone down the wrong path, and is bringing millions of people with her. What do you guys think is the significance of what Oprah is doing concerning the church and the world?

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
6They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth—men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone. 2 Tim. 3:6-9

1But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. 2 Peter 2:1-3

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here is another youtube video I stumbled over by accident. I had no idea where Oprah stood prior to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGLNbiw1gk&feature=related

It is actually a subset of the video above, but I'll leave it here for the "readers digest" version of her beliefs. Based upon this, it appears that Oprah has moved away from Christianity to Universalism.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Here is another youtube video I stumbled over by accident. I had no idea where Oprah stood prior to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwGLNbiw1gk&feature=related

It is actually a subset of the video above, but I'll leave it here for the "readers digest" version of her beliefs. Based upon this, it appears that Oprah has moved away from Christianity to Universalism.

I remember that episode. I rarely watch her but watched that day just to confirm what I already knew about her New Age theology. She's a dangerous woman.

To have that man y folks hanging on her every word while she spouts out the devil's lies.

Like so many who call themselves "Christians", Oprah tosses out the baby and the bathwater. She denies the very truth of the God who "supposedly" saved her.

And I am always left to wonder when I see folks proclaiming a way other than Christ, is this a person who knows Christ?

How does one get saved by Christ and preach another way?

Upvote 0

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I once read a book by her. I've never watched her on TV more than a few times, so I can't really grasp overall where she stands.

In the book she faced the obvious question that most do. If Christ is the only way, that leaves hundreds of millions in history doomed, because they never got to know him or hear the gospel.

As she explained more than one way in her book, she went over these same groups, tracing how long it took the gospel to reach others. Like all the different american indians tribes. They were here for almost 1500 years after Christ died before the first few even heard the gospel. It was another 300 years before it spread to the west. The Indains worshipped many things. Some tribes many Gods, others one Great Spirit, others nature or a combination of all.

We can find cases like this all over the world. For the most part the majority of the world didn't hear the gospel. We can assume when Christ said he was the only way that took effect when he said it.

Obvious Christian groups come up with many doctrines to try and bring fairness to all those that never heard, but all of those are false doctrines, because Christ is the only way.

In most places in the world children are born into cultures and that is what they're taught to believe from birth. The fact is if you or I was born in Iran, we would be muslim.

These factors are numerous and many. I think Oprah is looking for fairness and justice, because God is just. She can't accept God will torture the mass of humanity just because many haven't heard and millions haven't understood.

I'd have to study her views more, because I have no idea exactly what she believes for herself.

The video's to me really are subjective. She state that she didn't believe Christ came to die on the cross as much as he came to show us how to live...well, he did both. It seems she puts more on Christ taught us how to live than dying on the cross. IN the book she stated she believed Christ died on the cross for all man and saved all man through the cross. That certainly misses the point, because he did both and both were needed. Without the cross, it doesn't matter what Christ taught. Many religious figures have taught great principles to live by, but they didn't die for humanity.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Very good and revealing couple of videos to help believers discern the spirit of the age. In the second video there is some truth in what she says about relationship and belief, but the scriptures clarify it is also about belief. Anyone can have a relationship with whom they think is God. However the idea that there are many paths to what someone thinks is God, Jesus knocked on the head and said there is only one way to God through Him and if one has seen and knows Him then one has in effect seen God and knows God.
According to Jesus Christ's NT she isnt a disciple and believer of Christ... yet. the believers and followers of the way (not the ways) were first called Christians At Antioch.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So do many people here, and yet, they're pro-abortion, pro-homosexuality, universalists, etc.

In otherwords, they don't meet YOUR definition of what a Christian should be.

BTW, I know many people who believe that abortion should be legal. That does not make them "pro-abortion." I know many who believe that homosexuals shouldn't be discriminated against. That doesn't make them "pro-homosexuality."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

brightmorningstar

To Archivist,
In other words they dont meet Christ's.
Bro Sam didnt what you suggest and neither would I. The NT that says there is only one way throught Jesus Christ, that God's creation purpose is man and woman and same sex relations are error and that God knows us in the womb so I cant see how these opposites can be true. As to our idea, no hardly, we didnt write the scriptures, we just believe them.
The question I have is, to whom are the warnings in the NT about false teachers and heresies at odds with the NT, addressed to?

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist

I don't have the authority to define what a Christian is or is not. All I can do is to look at the Bible's definition and choose to agree or disagree.

In this case, I don't see any way around the Bible's declaration that those who engage in sin and support others in their sin are not Christians.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To Archivist,
In other words they dont meet Christ's.
Bro Sam didnt what you suggest and neither would I. The NT that says there is only one way throught Jesus Christ, that God's creation purpose is man and woman and same sex relations are error and that God knows us in the womb so I cant see how these opposites can be true. As to our idea, no hardly, we didnt write the scriptures, we just believe them.
The question I have is, to whom are the warnings in the NT about false teachers and heresies at odds with the NT, addressed to?

No, we all interprete Scripture. Many Christians have differing views on issues such as those mentioned.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't have the authority to define what a Christian is or is not. All I can do is to look at the Bible's definition and choose to agree or disagree.

Ther last time I looked all who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior are Christians. I don't know of anything in Scripture that requires that Christians oppose abortion or rights for homosexuals.

In this case, I don't see any way around the Bible's declaration that those who engage in sin and support others in their sin are not Christians.

Are you claiming that you don't sin? My understanding is that we are all sinners, and we are saved only through the blood of the Lamb.

Reactions: AngelusSax
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

brightmorningstar

To Archivist,
Ther last time I looked all who have accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior are Christians. I don't know of anything in Scripture that requires that Christians oppose abortion or rights for homosexuals.
Jesus Christ NT teaching says to have faith in Him is to seek to do what He teaches (ie. John 14-17)
Under the logic you are using anyone could justify anything they want merely by calling themselves a Christian. As Christians we need to acknowlege the truth and seek to do it.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To Archivist,
I have not given any interpretation of scripture, all I have done is refer to it. I believe it means what it says.

No, you have provided your interpretation of Scripture. For example, Scripture does not say that "God knows us in the womb" as you stated. God did tell the prophet Jeremiah "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you," but that is not what you wrote. What you wrote is your interpretation.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To Archivist,
Jesus Christ NT teaching says to have faith in Him is to seek to do what He teaches (ie. John 14-17)
Under the logic you are using anyone could justify anything they want merely by calling themselves a Christian. As Christians we need to acknowlege the truth and seek to do it.

But there are areas upon which Christians can and do disagree, because they are not clearly addressed in Scripture.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Archivist,
Let us be clear "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you," doesnt mean God didnt form him or us or didnt know us in the womb.
We know its not just Jeremiah but people as in Isaiah 44 and elsewhere.
Therefore there is scripture that says God knows people in the womb and forms people in the womb.
So I can say God knows us in the womb, but I cant say He doesnt.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To Archivist,
Let us be clear "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you," doesnt mean God didnt form him or us or didnt know us in the womb.
We know its not just Jeremiah but people as in Isaiah 44 and elsewhere.
Therefore there is scripture that says God knows people in the womb and forms people in the womb.
So I can say God knows us in the womb, but I cant say He doesnt.

And you are entitled to your interpretation. However, it is not the only possible interpretation.

Upvote 0