Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Knowledge of ones Self...that's like opening a can of worms. Once opened who knows where that can lead. Which can be a scary thought to the ego, who wants to be in control.
I don't quite get why the "New Age" vilifies the self so much, somehow seizing upon Freudian terminology yet turning it into something else entirely. The evil "ego".
Yes, our identity is a composite, often self-contradictory construct. Yes, identity is an activity, not an essence.

BUT: returning to a mental state prior to self-awareness is a step back, not forward. I'd say genuine mystic experiences do not reduce us, but *expand* our consciousness.

• Agree
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to why people are into religion/spirituality? What draws you to it the most? As for me, I'd say emotions were the biggest thing.
Might add more later.

For me my religion has been my life for around fifty years since 1965 when I first declared. I married my wife in a Baha'i marriage in 1973. A few years later we went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land and visited Holy places around Haifa and Akka in northern Israel. We raised our children with Baha'i values and they are still Baha'is.

In our Baha'i marriage our in-laws have been supportive of us and assisted us when we needed help during our marriage. The Faith requires that in-laws approve the marriage.
We are non-partisan politically and vote in all elections. The Faith also requires us not to use alcohol or illicit drugs. We also pray daily in privacy certain prayers.

So I would say for me being a Baha'i has been more than emotions it's been the "warp and woof" of the tapestry of my life.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Knowledge of ones Self...that's like opening a can of worms. Once opened who knows where that can lead. Which can be a scary thought to the ego, who wants to be in control.

For me it was certainly like opening up a can of worms. Also being more self aware helped destroy my faith and realize how biased and phony it was. Although if you're willing to take the risks the rewards can be great. Being self aware can open up the eyes to new paths that you'd probably never be able to realize existed prior.

For those who need guidance I'd say one major pitfall I've faced is overestimating the capacity for the human mind to understand itself and all the intricacies that come along with it. This can lead one down a road where they only are able to grasp a portion of their psychology and as a consequence expresses a largely false idea of their psychology and overall deteriorating it.

It's happened to me when trying to study my own sadism psychology. Originally thinking it was akin to having low/no empathy and more resembling something like psychopathy when in reality sadism is more an expression of empathy and really a polar opposite of psychopathy. It's only from the last few years that I've slowly been able to recover from such damaging and false thoughts about myself. Even now I still should be cautious and have greater respect for my lack of knowledge despite the increase of knowledge I've had about myself recently.

Still if you can handle all that, I'd say it's best to know thyself as much as possible than to remain ignorant. The latter being an position I largely held when I was still a theist. Just be prepared to face possible downtime and often excruciating self growth.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I don't quite get why the "New Age" vilifies the self so much, somehow seizing upon Freudian terminology yet turning it into something else entirely. The evil "ego".
Yes, our identity is a composite, often self-contradictory construct. Yes, identity is an activity, not an essence.

BUT: returning to a mental state prior to self-awareness is a step back, not forward. I'd say genuine mystic experiences do not reduce us, but *expand* our consciousness.
I don't know if that was a general comment or not, but just for the record I'm not New Age and the Ego is not evil. With that said, spiritually speaking, because of our attachments to this physical world the Ego can get into the way of opening one's inner self where expanded conscious awareness happens. Some call that opening of conscious awareness an "awakening". An expanded consciousness does not and can not happen via the Ego. The very nature of those mystical experience moments bypasses the Ego. At the same time because we do live in a physical world, we need the Ego with all of it's duality, judgments and attachments to even function in this world. Try buying a gallon of milk while in woo woo land.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Curious as to why people are into religion/spirituality? What draws you to it the most?

As for me, I'd say emotions were the biggest thing.

Might add more later.
Having purpose is the reason i i follow the Lord. I am a son of God. Doesnt that sound unbelievable? Well its not. Its the meaning of life.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
If I have religion, why do I need anything about spirituality?
Maybe you don't need anything spiritual. Personally, this is just me mind you, but I found that I'm in need of living and growing in the awareness of God's presence such that He has become an actual reality for me. I found religion as a place to learn about God. It's in the spiritual world where I became consciously aware of the "presence" of God as a reality in my life. That's why I need spirituality.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you don't need anything spiritual. Personally, this is just me mind you, but I found that I'm in need of living and growing in the awareness of God's presence such that He has become an actual reality for me. I found religion as a place to learn about God. It's in the spiritual world where I became consciously aware of the "presence" of God as a reality in my life. That's why I need spirituality.

So you take religion as a knowledge only.
Fine, if so, then religion is the wrong world for major "religions" of this world. You simply created a confusion. And you are the first one to be confused by yourself.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
So you take religion as a knowledge only.
Fine, if so, then religion is the wrong world for major "religions" of this world. You simply created a confusion. And you are the first one to be confused by yourself.
Yes, religion is scripture and beliefs. God is neither of those things. No confusion here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Why is God not a belief?
That's the difference between religion and the spiritual. It's in the spiritual arena where God becomes experienced and a reality. In the example I first gave, I see God in the smile and laugh of my infant grand-daughter. That's not religion. It's God as ones reality.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to why people are into religion/spirituality? What draws you to it the most?

As for me, I'd say emotions were the biggest thing.

Might add more later.

I'd say a tool set to figure out my place in the universe. It's not something that can be precisely described in concrete, measurable terms. Plus studying other people's religions and spiritual beliefs help me understand what drives them.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's the difference between religion and the spiritual. It's in the spiritual arena where God becomes experienced and a reality. In the example I first gave, I see God in the smile and laugh of my infant grand-daughter. That's not religion. It's God as ones reality.

You made a mess again. Now, God is not in a religion.
Fine. Define everything as you like to. And modify the definition as it needs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums