Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Religion and spirituality are 2 quite different things.
Maybe. Language isn't one of my strengths. So sorry if I smudge together some words. Just trying to give a wide range of ideas to work with.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose it fulfills a psychological need. A focus on nature balances out sitting in front of a computer monitor about 10 hours a day.

I have no artistic skills and I'm not very good at telling stories (well, not at making them interesting, anyway) so I guess it provides an outlet for creative expression, too.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spiritual life is the biggest adventure. It is like a life-long (and more!) treasure hunt. Everyday finding new clues and treasures. The valleys are so difficult and dark to negotiate, we think we will never get out of them and then boom, we are on the mountain tops looking at the valley fade away. Next we are in a desert, then splashing in the ocean. All along digging up beautiful treasures of truth. The spiritual journey is just the most crazy, far out, amazing, brilliant, challenging trip ever! What's not to love about it?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is Biblical "religion" >

"Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

Here, I personally understand, @MehGuy, religion means being reverent to God, including by loving and helping orphans and widows the way He wants; and orphans and widows include a number of senior citizens. Also, we are reverent by keeping ourselves unspotted from this world. This includes not giving in to lusts which would drive us after pleasure, instead of God being our treasure :)

I appreciate how God's power easily gets me free of how nasty and negative stuff do get the better of me. And how I can be in gentle and quiet love is so better and makes me creative for loving any and all people >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

But while I was not with Jesus, I was not thinking about this. But I could tell I was messed up and failing socially. I did not know what I needed to do. I wanted to do better, but I was getting nowhere in myself. And I could not figure out what God wanted. Then, it came to me that God did not want me to try to straighten my own self out, but trust in Jesus to do all He is able to do :)

And this has meant a lot of encouragement but also plenty of correction to find out how to be and how to relate in love, so I am ready to do well with any person, not only favorites I might want to use. Be ready, though others might not be able, but by staying ready I can have a great time whenever I do share with others who are real in love, and good examples for me :)

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to why people are into religion/spirituality? What draws you to it the most?

As for me, I'd say emotions were the biggest thing.

I'm a very emotional man, but it is actually my intellectual curiosity that continues to propel me in the practice of my religion and spirituality, i.e. my interest in continuing to grow in the knowledge of the truth.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Curious as to why people are into religion/spirituality? What draws you to it the most?

Might add more later.
It does engage the emotions, at least when I'm not going through a dry spell, that's for sure.

Spirituality for me just emphasizes my conviction that there's more to the universe than what can be seen point-blank.

Religion, especially in a liturgical structure, provides one way (of many) to express my inner spiritual inclinations.

Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Might add more later.

You would be correct,
spirit (Ruach) is the emotional self and personality,

It is a part of the soul,s makeup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To me the religion is something that is more concrete/dogmatic.. while a spirituality is more open to personal interpretation and less organized. Some people who follow a theistic path might not want to use the word religion to describe it. If I were a theist again, that'd probably be me.

Not to say that religion can't incorporate elements of spirituality too.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
knowledge of the human conscious and unconscious.

Most spiritual and religious paths I ventured on didn't answer the question well on why we suffer. Christianity wasn't even close, neither was Islam. Buddhism had good techniques to minimise it, but didn't answer the question that well. I find it's best to write your own gospel and live your own myth to really discover who you truly are. No set path can really do that as well as the path you create for yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I'm not at all religious, so much so that I honestly believe that religion has been the source for most of humanity horrors upon humanity through out history. With that said, I live a very spiritual life. I've done a lot of inward searching trying to figure out why I'm drawn to the spiritual life, and for the life of me I just can't figure that one out. But in a majorly big way, here I am. I will say that leading a spiritual life, the practices I do and the people I hang with, the way I now think and act has changed me. I'm way more happier and joyful, more forgiving, have more empathy, compassion and a greater desire to help those in need than in the past.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Spirituality is standing still for a moment and encountering the world afresh, marveling at the strangeness of it all.

Religion is slowly learning how to stay in that moment every day of your life.

(I might be a mystic.)

Upvote 0