What do you do with songs with problematic verses?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see allot of churches sing 'what a beautiful name it is' that leads off

"....you didn't want to live in heaven without us..." (in some sense true and in some sense not ) Jesus did pray that his servants would be where he was... then again that is about the saved not unsaved and apostolic evangelism in Acts Mars Hill says he doesn't 'need' things from us as does the Psalms where God said 'if I was hungry I wouldn't tell you'

"....so you brought heaven down..." (the word 'so' implies that is the chief reason Jesus came and not the glory of God and turns the song to be more man centered not God centered)

Many people growing up were told God made the world because He was lonely or had some lack but I don't see this in scripture, rather that God's chief end was God's glory

I think a song like that needs more clarity, taking a queue form Luther I would add

" You didn't find, but created that which You see as lovely
Your glory reached down from heaven, and it opened my eyes to see
What a beautiful name it is
The name of Jesus, Christ my King...."

That would add clarity and move it more God centered away from being man centered
Is it better to try to fix a song, or better to pass it by and find better?

Those verses do sound a bit egotistical. I would just avoid those songs if selecting as a youth leader instead of worrying about changing the lyrics.

Upvote 0

Mnarvasa001

LoudCatholic
Dec 20, 2017
West Liberty
✟7,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

"....you didn't want to live in heaven without us..." (in some sense true and in some sense not ) Jesus did pray that his servants would be where he was... then again that is about the saved not unsaved and apostolic evangelism in Acts Mars Hill says he doesn't 'need' things from us as does the Psalms where God said 'if I was hungry I wouldn't tell you'

"....so you brought heaven down..." (the word 'so' implies that is the chief reason Jesus came and not the glory of God and turns the song to be more man centered not God centered)

Many people growing up were told God made the world because He was lonely or had some lack but I don't see this in scripture, rather that God's chief end was God's glory

I think a song like that needs more clarity, taking a queue form Luther I would add

That would add clarity and move it more God centered away from being man centered

I've definitely fallen into the same problem, particularly with the song God Be Praised (older song). I simply changed one of the lyrics because it was clearly inaccurate theologically. So to answer that, changing lyrics is totally encouraged if it's clearly confusing. Think about How He Loves: it was originally sloppy wet kiss, but some artists changed that. I don't see an issue.

As for your analysis of the lyrics to What a Beautiful Name, I definitely understand your concern with the lyrics, but lyric goes, "you didn't "want" heaven without us", so it doesn't place any "need" on God, because you're definitely God needs nothing, but God does want us and our hearts.
"So Jesus you brought heaven down" - Here, I disagree with what you said about the purpose of God bringing his Kingdom. He came for us! He did so in humblest and purest form: as a man who died on a cross, the most humiliating and painful way to die, for the sake of the world. That's what John 3:16 preaches. BUT you are right to say that he came down so that man might offer praise and Glory to God because God deserves it all. I'd say it's "both-and" in this situation. You are right, but it's not mutually exclusive. As a Church, we sing the truth of John 3:16 & Philippians 2:6-11. He loved the world so much that he died for us. The proper response is recognition of that love and sacrifice then a burst of praise and glory to Jesus our King, sharing the good news of what he has done for us to all mankind.

I hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Mnarvasa001

LoudCatholic
Dec 20, 2017
West Liberty
✟7,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
some are harder to ignore that others.... one song has a great sound to it but says
"the Father became my brother"
I would not see that in the New Testament and it doesn't sound logical
"The word became my brother"
"the Father became my Father"
would both be better

Yea, the original is definitely problematic. Jesus because our brother, but Jesus is the Son, not the father...

I LOVE "the Father became my Father". I'm stealing that. That makes perfect sense! We are adopted sons and daughters of the Most High God, so he is the Father, but He becomes our Father through baptism into the life death and resurrection of Jesus his Son!. Love it man.

Upvote 0

Michael Scaman

Apr 16, 2016
Goshen, NY USA
✟12,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've definitely fallen into the same problem, particularly with the song God Be Praised (older song). I simply changed one of the lyrics because it was clearly inaccurate theologically. So to answer that, changing lyrics is totally encouraged if it's clearly confusing. Think about How He Loves: it was originally sloppy wet kiss, but some artists changed that. I don't see an issue.

As for your analysis of the lyrics to What a Beautiful Name, I definitely understand your concern with the lyrics, but lyric goes, "you didn't "want" heaven without us", so it doesn't place any "need" on God, because you're definitely God needs nothing, but God does want us and our hearts.
"So Jesus you brought heaven down" - Here, I disagree with what you said about the purpose of God bringing his Kingdom. He came for us! He did so in humblest and purest form: as a man who died on a cross, the most humiliating and painful way to die, for the sake of the world. That's what John 3:16 preaches. BUT you are right to say that he came down so that man might offer praise and Glory to God because God deserves it all. I'd say it's "both-and" in this situation. You are right, but it's not mutually exclusive. As a Church, we sing the truth of John 3:16 & Philippians 2:6-11. He loved the world so much that he died for us. The proper response is recognition of that love and sacrifice then a burst of praise and glory to Jesus our King, sharing the good news of what he has done for us to all mankind.

I hope that helps!

God has desires indeed. I would just be cautions with lyrics that can be heard various ways by various people. I was told in grade school God made the world because he was lonely for example

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2016
Northern Idaho
✟6,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's like repurposing furniture. Why throw out a nice song simply because of some disagreeable lyrics. Just put your own doctrinally acceptable words in there and get your worship on.

Our church has done that from time to time -- change a word here or there in a song. It works well and avoids burning down the forest because of one thorn bush.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I first read the original question, I thought it was from the perspective of a songwriter who isn't happy with his/her work. My answer would have been to either re-write it or seek a collaborator.

Then I thought it might be from the perspective of a worship leader selecting other people's music with verses they couldn't put before the congregation for whatever reasons, in which case they'd have to pass on the song altogether.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are a lot of songs sung in churches that are out and out dishonoring to God. The author put in what they think God is like. Obviously the author of this song doesn’t know God. If this weren’t so, they wouldn’t have painted God to be needy or unable to be satisfied in and of Himself. God, for the author is not complete. This is untrue. God is made less by the words no matter how beautiful the melody is. I refuse to sing it when it’s played. I love Him too much to sing lies about him.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the song is beautiful. It speaks to God's people continually trying to know His heart! :amen:
Where does it say that? If they want to know his heart they have got to stop telling Him lies about himself. He will not reveal his heart to those who prefer pretty lies.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The actual lyric is: "You didn't want heaven without us"

That is absolutely true, no ifs, ands or buts. It's what scripture tells us.

We know without a shadow of a doubt that the will of God--what God wants-- not a heaven without us, but that He has prepared heaven to be our home. ("My Father's house has many mansions....").

The lyric is absolutely true. It has nothing to do with God's "needs" it has to do with His will, and His will is that we reside with Jesus in Heaven.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The actual lyric is: "You didn't want heaven without us"

That is absolutely true, no ifs, ands or buts. It's what scripture tells us.

We know without a shadow of a doubt that the will of God--what God wants-- not a heaven without us, but that He has prepared heaven to be our home. ("My Father's house has many mansions....").

The lyric is absolutely true. It has nothing to do with God's "needs" it has to do with His will, and His will is that we reside with Jesus in Heaven.
The lyric is absolutely false. Where does the Bible say God didn’t want Heaven without us so that if no one ever came, He wouldn’t want to be there? And He’s in for a shock cause many won’t be there. Now what will He do? Heaven without most of us!!!!

That He wants us doesn’t mean He can’t stand Heaven without us. A woman who very much wants children doesn’t say, “I don’t want a home without children” as if she would divorce her spouse and live in the street if she never gets children. That’s what the lyric suggests. We think LESS of that kind of statement than “I really want children.” The lyric speaks less of His character as though He can’t stand not having us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The lyric is absolutely false. Where does the Bible say God didn’t want Heaven without us so that if no one ever came, He wouldn’t want to be there?

They lyric doesn't say all that. The lyric says, "You didn't want heaven without us."

That's absolutely true. We know that His will is for us to be in heaven with Him.

And He’s in for a shock cause many won’t be there. Now what will He do? Heaven without most of us!!!!

Now that statement is hysterically silly, because you know that in a worship song, "we" refers to we who are worshiping.

That He wants us doesn’t mean He can’t stand Heaven without us.

That's not what the lyric says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They lyric doesn't say all that. The lyric says, "You didn't want heaven without us."
But it’s untrue. I’m sure He likes Heaven just fine without us. He had Heaven without us for millennia and will have Heaven without most of us anyway. Sounds more like a spoiled child who doesn’t want home if the desired people aren’t there. His happiness does not depend on us being there.
That's absolutely true. We know that His will is for us to be in heaven with Him.
The statement means he’s moving out if his will is not done. The lyric says it does. No us? Then He doesn’t want Heaven then according to the lyric. Totally untrue.
Now that statement is hysterically silly, because you know that in a worship song, "we" refers to we who are worshiping.
So he only wants those who sing that song and no others???? Talk about silly.
That's not what the lyric says.
If a person says, “if you’re not there I’m not going or staying or living there” means exactly that. If we aren’t there, He doesn’t want Heaven. That’s what it says. It’s totally wrong. He wants us, true. That he doesn’t want heaven unless we’re there is not. Heaven is desirable with us or without us. Who do we think we are?

Another thought....How would we feel if our son or daughter said that we wouldn’t want to have lived in our house without them? Pretty narcissistic!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 14:1-3 "Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in Me. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may also be".

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“Whoever has my command and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

John 14:21

To those who want to please God, to walk with Him, to be able to discern when God is there and when He is not, this is the way, the only way. Trying to please your own feelings with an experience while singing will not do it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
\
Another thought....How would we feel if our son or daughter said that we wouldn’t want to have lived in our house without them? Pretty narcissistic!

If my father had, in fact, left his house with great cost to himself to find me and bring me back, I'd have to say that he didn't want the house to be without me.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If my father had, in fact, left his house with great cost to himself to find me and bring me back, I'd have to say that he didn't want the house to be without me.
How about He saw the son needed to be home instead of not wanting to experience a lack? Don’t you see that the motive the song gives is not good?

God was fulfilled and content in Heaven without us. He will continue to be so whether we show up or not. I know it’s an ego trip to think His happiness hangs in us “accepting Him” but it’s not true. Heaven won’t miss us if we decide to go elsewhere. Most of us do. I know that’s sobering but it’s true. Heaven will be without most of us and that means without those God wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0