What do you do when your too tired to read the bible/pray?

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went through seven days in a row working overnights and then managed to get sick enough to have to take a couple days off work - my boss sent me home when I threw up in front of her lol.

At any rate, for a couple weeks up till the last couple days I have just been exhausted. I slept for entire days - getting up for 3-4 hours to eat and stuff, then back to bed. When I was working I would go to work, come home and sleep till I got up for work again. Sometimes I was just too tired to eat. It was bad enough that I slept through church Sunday both morning and evening! I feel awful about it, cause I had told them I would be there.

Normally when I pray or read the Bible it requires focus and some level of effort.

What do you do when your too tired and/or sick to focus on anything?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I went through seven days in a row working overnights and then managed to get sick enough to have to take a couple days off work - my boss sent me home when I threw up in front of her lol.

At any rate, for a couple weeks up till the last couple days I have just been exhausted. I slept for entire days - getting up for 3-4 hours to eat and stuff, then back to bed. When I was working I would go to work, come home and sleep till I got up for work again. Sometimes I was just too tired to eat. It was bad enough that I slept through church Sunday both morning and evening! I feel awful about it, cause I had told them I would be there.

Normally when I pray or read the Bible it requires focus and some level of effort.

Shift work is unnatural and tough. I refuse to do it now. it just upsets what they call "circadian rhythms". Anyway I was informed that the body needs to be asleep between 10pm and 2pm on a regular basis to feel good and healthy.
If you are sick and tired just watch some uplifting stuff on youtube, would be my recommendation. I enjoyed watching a 3 hour movie recently on YouTube about the life of Augustine.

Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Stop trying. Use your common sense. I don't think that God is worrying too much about it. You need a good rest, perhaps taking time off and having a holiday where you can recharge your batteries. There is a priority list: God first, family next, church last. God is not going to hit you with a big stick if you decide to have a few Sundays off going to church and being involved in religious activities because you are just too tired and badly in need of a rest. The graveyard is full of people who thought they were indispensible. God does not expect you to work yourself into the ground in serving Him. Your employment, through which you pay the bills, comes before church. The church doesn't pay your bills, so it is not as important. So, set your priority list on the basis of how much time and energy you have at this time.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I stay in bed (and call the doctor if necessary) :oldthumbsup: ... oh, and I hope that my wife takes pity on me :p

Commanders don't send soldiers who are wounded or sick back to the battlefield, they send them to the hospital to recover first. Likewise, the Lord doesn't expect you to give what you don't have to give, or to do what you cannot do, so go get well first.

What you do in Christ is VERY important, vital, in fact, but in the midst of all you do for Him (once you've recovered your health, that is ;)), remember that God loves you, period, not because of what you do!

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,596.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First, rest and recover in the immediate term.

Second, review my habits and routines to see if they are placing unreasonable strain on my health, and adjust if necessary.

Being too tired to pray occasionally is normal. Being so worn out that you are always too tired to pray is unhealthy.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Praise!

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, praise Him - (imo) just saying His name strengthens. Say it again!

No doubt David's situation in the I Sam 30 account was extremely difficult. He and his men returned to camp and found their dwellings and everything was burnt plus their wives and families had been taken. Then the guys who just fought with David talked of killing him. David wept then

-he encouraged himself in The Lord. It doesn't say how - but

encourage yourself in The Lord.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

When you're that tired....just sit down quietly for even 5 or 10 minutes. You don't even have to say anything other than, "Lord, I'm tired. Please help me to work through this ..." Then maybe recite the Lord's Prayer once (it's very, very short), or read one little Proverb...and call it a day.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I usually get some sleep. God is not going to get mad at me if I do not perform a daily regimen of "things you need to do because you are a Christian".

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, people want to sleep...

I am forced to pay attention to one thing.

Upvote 0