what do you do as far as the Great Commission?

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Alot of chufches these days are not sharing the good news...is it bc you disregard the great commission, too modern times, or ur church does not preach this?

I have NO idea where you get that idea...I live in "sin city" and the churches are growing at a pretty good clip...here is the mission statement of my church...where do you see disregarding the great commission here? http://www.canyonridge.org/new-here/mission-and-beliefs

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Alot of chufches these days are not sharing the good news...is it bc you disregard the great commission, too modern times, or ur church does not preach this?

Frankly I don't have much interaction with people outside my family. But my church does teach us to be witnesses to others. We often go to the local homeless shelter and share a meal and then the gospel that is one way we fulfill the great commission.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have NO idea where you get that idea...I live in "sin city" and the churches are growing at a pretty good clip...here is the mission statement of my church...where do you see disregarding the great commission here? http://www.canyonridge.org/new-here/mission-and-beliefs

oh we have churches on every street corner here as well..doesn't mean they are out spreading the gospel though :-( i dont know how many times have heard folks say oh people still do that... a group from our church goes out on saturdays knocking on doors.. I try to talk to folks i come across at work since I am in 8-10 stores a day...and of course to my family and friends...nor did i know if it was just a baptist thing

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok..."soulwinning" is not a terribly effective way to reach people...I'm REAL inclined to just slam the door on people who knock on my door and otherwise disturb my day. If you want to do that, go for it. It's not effective, it's rude and offputting and doesn't have a great track record...just ask the JWs. I much prefer to do as St. Francis of Assisi is quoted as saying "preach the gospel at all times, use words if necessary". Actions speak much louder than words. The actions of certain Christian factions here in the US are enough to make many non-believers have absolutely no interest in the Gospel. But...I personally know a bunch of people who came to faith through the ACTIONS of someone they knew (occasionally it was me). We have the crazy street preachers on the strip here...they usually end up getting arrested for causing a disturbance.

Let me put it succinctly...you knock on my door, you get told to leave, maybe. I might just tell you to shove off and slam the door in your face. Take the time to build relationships and earn the right to be heard and you have a MUCH better chance of that person coming to faith. So...you can rip me and my church all you want, but if the churches are growing right here in "Sin City" at a fast clip, then I guess we're doing something right.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess cause no ones toes are getting stepped on :preach:

I have yet to join them on saturdays ...usually a group of 2-6...it varies..it works here...they usually see 250-300 saved a year...they must be doing something right too...I was mainly just seeing if it was just a baptist thing...is your church a non denom?

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
oh we have churches on every street corner here as well..doesn't mean they are out spreading the gospel though

How do you think they got on every street corner if they did not spread the gospel? Someone had to invite all those people to church.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Just bc they r a church doesnt mean they are teaching bible doctrine

Come visit us any Saturday at 4pm or 6pm PDT or any Sunday at 9am or 11am PDT. Located at the corner of Lone Mountain Rd and N. Jones Blvd in Las Vegas, NV.

However, I'm willing to bet you belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church. No other church on earth would be seen as teaching bible doctrine by you since the IFBs don't believe any other church is doctrinally correct. SO...let's cut this short by saying that as far as I am concerned, IFBs are legalistic and don't think anyone who uses anything other than a KJV bible is a Christian...Your idea of "bible doctrine" and our idea of "bible doctrine" are likely nowhere near close enough to reach any term of agreement. Have a great day...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Just bc they r a church doesnt mean they are teaching bible doctrine

But their doctrine was not what we were discussing, it was if they are keeping the Great Commission.

My point is if churches are growing and they are on every corner then they must be spreading the message.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Alot of chufches these days are not sharing the good news...is it bc you disregard the great commission, too modern times, or ur church does not preach this?....Just bc they r a church doesnt mean they are teaching bible doctrine
This won't be written in textish, but you asked about churches engaged in the Great Commission. If you qualify that now by adding something to the effect of "but only those churches I approve of"...

Of course, it's going to seem like there's only a limited number of churches doing it!

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This won't be written in textish, but you asked about churches engaged in the Great Commission. If you qualify that now by adding something to the effect of "but only those churches I approve of"...

Of course, it's going to seem like there's only a limited number of churches doing it!

Where did I say that? All I ask I is what folks were doing to fulfill great commission...no judging sheesh,,, cant have a quiet conversation these days wo people getting panties bunched

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We have regular outreaches, also concerts, & dinner nights with items, testimonies etc. and occasionally we involve the young people in a play such as "Don't Knock Noah".

You would think that many people would want "good news" these days but if I stand outside a tube station most people with "good news" leaflets (such as attached)
and a readiness to share, most people would rather take the "bad news" free newspapers or walk on by, even though they are just going to sit on a train. They have talked themselves ut of whatever God may have to offer ... but, as Jesus said, "I'm only sent to the sheep", those few (very few!) who want God.

Of course most "churches" are not actually churches because they havn't got the baptism in the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:13) so their "gospel" is words-only.

Attachments

• londonConvention2016.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a fact there is dead churches,...churches have got away from preaching from the bible and concentrate on collecting money..again I only know of baptist that go door to door trying to share the good news...am I wrong to think baptist and jehovah witness are only one doing this

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That is a fact there is dead churches,...churches have got away from preaching from the bible and concentrate on collecting money..again I only know of baptist that go door to door trying to share the good news...am I wrong to think baptist and jehovah witness are only one doing this

Mormons also go door to door. But I don't think going door to door is necessarily what Christ intended.

Loving your neighbor as you love yourself and being a witness to those you come into contact with in daily life should suffice.

Upvote 0