Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Authority defines truth.
Scary stuff.

Sure. Scary stuff. But...

If Truth authorizes the Authority, then it shouldn't be too much for us to understand that Authority supports and promulgates the Truth. :cool:

So, the question is: Were 'they' authorized?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Rick Otto said:
Authority defines truth.
Scary stuff.

If Truth authorizes the Authority, then it shouldn't be too much for us to understand that Authority supports and promulgates the Truth. :cool:

Read it again. (You changed it, and perhaps didn't realize it.)

Then give some thought as to why i posted my first thought on it, which was:

An example of "authority" DEFINING "truth":

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The assumption that authority supports truth is often a subtle way to usurp the authority of the truth, and replace it with the authority of these questionably appointed authorizers themselves. They become unquestioning and self serving. Audit their commissions.
You will find veiled conflicts of interest.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read it again. (You changed it, and perhaps didn't realize it.)

Then give some thought as to why i posted my first thought on it, which was:

An example of "authority" DEFINING "truth":

No. There's no need to read it again, because as a Christian (which I am, and which you are), we both know that "the Truth" is the very person of Jesus Christ, Himself. And that is the beginning axiom which I'm inferring in my little argument.

So, some little tiny bit of support and promotion is to offer some minimal definitions for posterity. These definitions can still be reconsidered by future generations to some moderate extent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The assumption that authority supports truth is often a subtle way to usurp the authority of the truth, and replace it with the authority of these questionably appointed authorizers themselves. They become unquestioning and self serving. Audit their commissions.
You will find veiled conflicts of interest.

Yes, and I agree with that. Thus, that is why I left my last post with an important question, one we each have to consider for ourselves.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, and I agree with that. Thus, that is why I left my last post with an important question, one we each have to consider for ourselves.
Yes, we do. And in so doing,we must discern were they authorized by the truth or only by the authorities.

By that I simply we are individually obligated to learn the truth, what it is and how to discern it.

But wouldn't we rather be discussing celebrity gossip? XD

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we do. And in so doing,we must discern were they authorized by the truth or only by the authorities.

By that I simply we are individually obligated to learn the truth, what it is and how to discern it.

But wouldn't we rather be discussing celebrity gossip? XD

I thought we were discussing celebrity gossip (i.e. that quip by St. Ignatius). ^_^

• Haha
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No. There's no need to read it again, because as a Christian (which I am, and which you are), we both know that "the Truth" is the very person of Jesus Christ, Himself. And that is the beginning axiom which I'm inferring in my little argument.

So, some little tiny bit of support and promotion is to offer some minimal definitions for posterity. These definitions can still be reconsidered by future generations to some moderate extent.

You may have missed the point here, in that authority, as in tyranny or any other such evil, as demonstrated in 1984, could care less about the "truth", and in fact, destroys it, and anyone who speaks it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may have missed the point here, in that authority, as in tyranny or any other such evil, as demonstrated in 1984, could care less about the "truth", and in fact, destroys it, and anyone who speaks it.

I've read 1984, twice in fact, and I've seen the movie. Also, Sis, as I stated above to Rick Otto, I'm in agreement that we have to discern whether the teaching has really been "authorized" by God in Christ. Sometimes the things that some people have said while in the hierarchy of the Church have been false.

Anyway, maybe I'm at fault here for not making myself clear enough, but while I can agree that a statement like that of St. Ignatius can be dangerous, it also isn't a reason to throw the baby of all 'Church Tradition' out the window with the bath water like some Fundamentalist Christians tend to do.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I've read 1984, twice in fact, and I've seen the movie. Also, Sis, as I stated above to Rick Otto, I'm in agreement that we have to discern whether the teaching has really been "authorized" by God in Christ. Sometimes the things that some people have said while in the hierarchy of the Church have been false.

Anyway, maybe I'm at fault here for not making myself clear enough, but while I can agree that a statement like that of St. Ignatius can be dangerous, it also isn't a reason to throw the baby of all 'Church Tradition' out the window with the bath water like some Fundamentalist Christians tend to do.

You missed the entire point of both of my posts.

Upvote 0