✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hope this is the right place to post this,

After checking out my family history, I've discovered that my family originated in a small Basque village, where my first named ancestor built a tower for that village. A recurring symbol in my family is the Black Wolf, it appears on both our original and current family crest. In Medieval Heraldry wolves can symbolize both, determination during a siege, and diligence in industrial work, so I assumed the Black Wolf was meant to refer to the tower my first ancestor build, symbolizing the hard work that went into building that tower and/or the fact that the tower was a defensive structure.

Recently however, I've discovered that wolves are a common motif in Basque and Biscayan heraldry, but I can't find what they they are supposed to represent particularly in that region.

Are there any experts in Basque and Biscayan culture who know what wolves represent in Basque and Biscayan culture?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am by no means an expert in Basque culture, though find Heraldry fascinating, so there are a few points you may consider:

The Basques were shepherds, as is still common in the Pyrenees. Wolves in Spanish heraldry are usually depicted Raivassant - bearing a lamb in their mouth.
Mediaeval Basque country was difficult to control and had a clannish structure that engaged in low level raiding (similar to the reavers of the Anglo-Scottish border).
So it may be to show the power of the clan, the Wolf falling on the others' lambs. It is common to take your particular enemy as a totemic symbol, such as Tigers in India or such.

Wolves and dogs are also psychopomps, associated with the dead.

Further, wolves are associated with Rome (via the myth of Romulus and Remus). This may go back to when Basques didn't fall to the Islamic conquest, as Christians holding out against Islam. This is more doubtful though, as how much Visigothic Spain or even Rome, penetrated the Basque country is debatable. Afterall, they never romanised enough to lose their language.

Often though, Heraldry means nothing. Its primary purpose is identification, so a symbol or pattern is adopted for stylistic reasons or as a pun. It need not have some deeper meaning. Chevrons or such are not meaningful of themselves after all, and a star or animal may be similarly utilised. Usually people might retroactively invent such meanings, though. A good example is the Medici, whose arms bear a number of circles. We think it may have arisen as referencing pills (as Medici basically means pharmacist), but the Renaissance family connected it to a Carolingian ancestor that had bravely fought an Ogre, with each circle representing a dent in his shield from the Ogre's club. Thus they could trace their nobility back to Charlemagne.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am by no means an expert in Basque culture, though find Heraldry fascinating, so there are a few points you may consider:

The Basques were shepherds, as is still common in the Pyrenees. Wolves in Spanish heraldry are usually depicted Raivassant - bearing a lamb in their mouth.
Mediaeval Basque country was difficult to control and had a clannish structure that engaged in low level raiding (similar to the reavers of the Anglo-Scottish border).
So it may be to show the power of the clan, the Wolf falling on the others' lambs. It is common to take your particular enemy as a totemic symbol, such as Tigers in India or such.

Wolves and dogs are also psychopomps, associated with the dead.

Further, wolves are associated with Rome (via the myth of Romulus and Remus). This may go back to when Basques didn't fall to the Islamic conquest, as Christians holding out against Islam. This is more doubtful though, as how much Visigothic Spain or even Rome, penetrated the Basque country is debatable. Afterall, they never romanised enough to lose their language.

Often though, Heraldry means nothing. Its primary purpose is identification, so a symbol or pattern is adopted for stylistic reasons or as a pun. It need not have some deeper meaning. Chevrons or such are not meaningful of themselves after all, and a star or animal may be similarly utilised. Usually people might retroactively invent such meanings, though. A good example is the Medici, whose arms bear a number of circles. We think it may have arisen as referencing pills (as Medici basically means pharmacist), but the Renaissance family connected it to a Carolingian ancestor that had bravely fought an Ogre, with each circle representing a dent in his shield from the Ogre's club. Thus they could trace their nobility back to Charlemagne.
Interesting stuff you got there, thanks for sharing it.

I was able to check out the Wikipedia article on the Lordship of Biscay, it says that the legendary/mythological founder of the Lordship of Biscay was about to go into battle against an invading army from Asturias and just before the battle, he saw two wolves carrying lambs in their mouths and that was considered a sign that he would be victorious in battle. Whether or not there is any truth to legend, only God knows, what you've provided here certainly sheds light on the stuff I've read.

My current family crest, does bare resemblance to at least two noble families that ruled the Lordship of Biscay so, obviously the was intention among my ancestors to emphasize their home region.

Upvote 0