What do Wesleyans believe about speaking in tongues?

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I've never heard my church talk about it one way or another, and haven't seen another Methodist do it in services. However, I did do it once - to my surprise - after being baptized and being received into church membership with a group of people when everyone was talking and reciting. I believe people can do it, but I do believe there is too much emphasis on it in general and that leads to some confused church practices.
I know there are Independent Methodists (or "Wesleyan Methodists") that are Full Gospel in their teachings. They accept the validity of the spiritual gifts still operating in the modern Church, and generally practice strict and conservative outward holiness. I've read in a few different places, though, that Methodists are generally more open to the operation of the gifts in the Church.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I've noticed that a few here have tried to stress that Methodists don't encourage any interaction with the Spirit and the operation of its gifts in the modern Church. While some Methodists may lean more to a cessationist view, some may very well be more continuationist in their theology. Traditionally, it seems that Methodists encouraged its converts to experience an interaction with the Spirit and its gifts. John Wesley, the father of Methodism, apparently recorded such experiences in his revivals at the start of his evangelical crusade following his break from the Church of England. The Methodist logo is a cross with flames, leading some to the conclusion that ice has been tossed on the fire.

Saying all Methodists are cessationists (more or less) isn't accurate. That's the same as saying all Baptists believe in eternal security (or "once saved, always saved"), but they don't. While movements/denominations/churches can be categorized by their beliefs under umbrella terms (i.e. Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, etc.) that doesn't limit them all to believe the exact same way. Every "T" will not be crossed the same, which is why there are divisions within different movements based simply on different opinions. In some cases, differing opinions can be overlooked, while, in other cases, they simply cannot.

If it seems as if I were rambling, I'm sorry, but I was kind of was. I simply wanted to get my point across that not all Methodists are of the view that the gifts have ceased, and that traditionally Methodism leaned toward a continuationist teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know there are Independent Methodists (or "Wesleyan Methodists") that are Full Gospel in their teachings.
"Wesleyan Methodist" was the name of a particular denomination of Methodism. My dad was ordained WM and was as cessationist as anyone can be. That said, he was also vehemently opposed to women being given any kind of role in church life; while the WM denomination was the first english speaking denomination to do so back in the mid 1800s.

WM is now just known as The Wesleyan Church.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
"Wesleyan Methodist" was the name of a particular denomination of Methodism. My dad was ordained WM and was as cessationist as anyone can be. That said, he was also vehemently opposed to women being given any kind of role in church life; while the WM denomination was the first english speaking denomination to do so back in the mid 1800s.

WM is now just known as The Wesleyan Church.
My point precisely. I didn't mean what I said to be taken that all self-proclaimed Wesleyan Methodists are continuationists. It simply meant that there is a great diversity within certain movements, with there being some Wesleyan Methodists that are fundamentally Pentecostal in doctrine.

Likewise, there are some Holiness Baptists that are continuationists, while some are not. Some Pentecostals practice strong outward holiness, while some do not.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
O, for a THOUSAND TONGUES to sing
My great Redeemer's Praise !

Hi, I'm writing to you because I searched for someone who claimed to be Methodist. I've just started attending this church because of their love and also because they believe in the gifts of the Spirit, especially healing. I just wanted to ask you a question.

I see that some Methodist churches believe in infant baptism and believers baptism. If one that baptizes infants, do they baptize them again when they grow up? And is it by immersion or sprinkling. Hope you can help me.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see that some Methodist churches believe in infant baptism and believers baptism. If one that baptizes infants, do they baptize them again when they grow up? And is it by immersion or sprinkling. Hope you can help me.
In effect, they are giving the parents the choice. No, the church does not anticipate any re-baptizing later on; that would be to say that the first baptism--performed by the same church--was invalid.

Pouring
is the most common mode of baptism in churches which do not baptize by immersion.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
In effect, they are giving the parents the choice. No, the church does not anticipate any re-baptizing later on; that would be to say that the first baptism--performed by the same church--was invalid.

Pouring
is the most common mode of baptism in churches which do not baptize by immersion.

How do they believe we receive the Holy Spirit? As an infant?

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Infants are usually sprinkled by a flower being dipped in water then shaking droplets onto infant's head.

Re-baptism as an adult does happen, but it's not that common, it can be by immersion if requested, a Baptistry at nearby Baptist Church can be used by Methodist minister if they have an agreement.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Infants are usually sprinkled by a flower being dipped in water then shaking droplets onto infant's head.

Re-baptism as an adult does happen, but it's not that common, it can be by immersion if requested, a Baptistry at nearby Baptist Church can be used by Methodist minister if they have an agreement.

Thanks. This church is across the street from a Baptist church that they do projects together with, like a food bank.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do they believe we receive the Holy Spirit? As an infant?
Churches that baptize infants do believe that the sacrament imparts the Holy Spirit, yes; but this is not the same as the "Baptism with/of the Holy Spirit" which some denominations consider to be a subsequent reception of the HS. However, the particular view on the subject of baptism, either about the mode or specifics about the meaning, can vary from Methodist church to the next one, so you would probably do best to check with whatever congregation you have in mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Churches that baptize infants do believe that the sacrament imparts the Holy Spirit, yes; but this is not the same as the "Baptism with/of the Holy Spirit" which some denominations consider to be a subsequent reception of the HS.

Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Churches that baptize infants do believe that the sacrament imparts the Holy Spirit, yes; but this is not the same as the "Baptism with/of the Holy Spirit" which some denominations consider to be a subsequent reception of the HS.

If a person who was baptized as an infant never accepts Christ as an adult and they die, are they saved?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No. Baptism is not a guarantee of salvation. But then again, if a person is not baptized until he is an adult and makes a personal profession of faith, but later apostasizes and, for example, becomes an Atheist, the only answer we can give in that situation also is No. That is what we derive from the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was sprinkled as an infant.
At 19, after salvation, I got immersed in a Baptist Church.
A year later I was baptized in the Holy Ghost - in a friend's car - I saw blue flames come down through the roof of the car - my friends did not see the blue flames, but when I told them what I saw they were not as perturbed that I didn't speak in tongues right away.
That night, alone, I started singing in tongues;
spoke in tongues the next day

I agree that Baptism is not a guarantee of salvation, as Albion posted.

Paraphrasing Arminius; it is impossible for a Believer to lose their salvation, but it might be possible for a person to CEASE BEING A BELIEVER, so I am not OSAS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I was sprinkled as an infant.
At 19, after salvation, I got immersed in a Baptist Church.
A year later I was baptized in the Holy Ghost - in a friend's car - I saw blue flames come down through the roof of the car - my friends did not see the blue flames, but when I told them what I saw they were not as perturbed that I didn't speak in tongues right away.
That night, alone, I started singing in tongues;
spoke in tongues the next day

I agree that Baptism is not a guarantee of salvation, as Albion posted.

Paraphrasing Arminius; it is impossible for a Believer to lose their salvation, but it might be possible for a person to CEASE BEING A BELIEVER, so I am not OSAS

You were like me, being baptized before receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I was immersed twice before being Baptized in the Holy Spirit. Then was baptized again one more time.

After you were immersed, did it change your life at all? In other words did you keep sinning willfully or not? And now that you've received the Baptism is there any other change in your walk regarding sin? In other words, are you no longer sinning "willfully" or do you still? Just curious, as I believe now, that it is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit that makes us a Christian based on Romans 8:9. And for me it would be after you've been given the ability to no longer sin willfully that this is when we should be baptized to signify that old man is dead, and thus we bury it.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The whole period of immersion, then baptism of Holy Spirit a year later -- yeah, I changed a LOT
during that time, 1stcenturylady

I'm sure I sin AGAINST my will and have over the years, but I might be done with water baptisms, really

for a while I went to a Charismatic Episcopal Church in Dallas, considered another water baptism by POURING to join that denomination, but then some gay bishop was appointed in New Hampshire - a big stink and ugly fight in Episcopal church about it all, I went back Methodist -- now, ironically, UMC may have big stink/split about the same thing

though really nothing has affected my local UMC church an 8-minute walk from my house, I feel some kind of split may be coming

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The whole period of immersion, then baptism of Holy Spirit a year later -- yeah, I changed a LOT
during that time, 1stcenturylady

I'm sure I sin AGAINST my will and have over the years, but I might be done with water baptisms, really

for a while I went to a Charismatic Episcopal Church in Dallas, considered another water baptism by POURING to join that denomination, but then some gay bishop was appointed in New Hampshire - a big stink and ugly fight in Episcopal church about it all, I went back Methodist -- now, ironically, UMC may have big stink/split about the same thing

though really nothing has affected my local UMC church an 8-minute walk from my house, I feel some kind of split may be coming

Yes, same here. But no one at my small (actually tiny) Methodist church is gay.

As I was told, the UMC probably owns the church building, so I can't see us building or buying our own space. We use our money to provide the largest food bank in the area - extraordinary! That's actually how I found this church as I am poor - but rich with the Spirit! Maybe finding this church is the reason God has me poor right now. He is in control!

Upvote 0