What do Wesleyans believe about speaking in tongues?

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What do the Wesleyan denominations, such as the Methodists and the Nazarenes (and their divisions), believe about the charismatic spiritual gifts? Where do they stand on the cessationist and continuationist view of things?

Reactions: riesie

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do the Wesleyan denominations, such as the Methodists and the Nazarenes (and their divisions), believe about the charismatic spiritual gifts? Where do they stand on the cessationist and continuationist view of things?
Pentecostals are Wesleyan in their theology, they believe these special gifts are for today. But not all Wesleyan type believers do.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Pentecostals are Wesleyan in their theology, they believe these special gifts are for today. But not all Wesleyan type believers do.
Since I am Pentecostal, I know that Pentecostal denominations are continuationist in their view on the spiritual gifts still operating in the modern church.

On the other hand, not all Pentecostals are Wesleyan in theology. Before 1910, the majority of them were, though. The Pentecostals that trace their roots to the Asuza Street Revivals came from a few different denominational backgrounds. The Wesleyan or "Methodistic" Pentecostals are found in the Church of God (Cleveland) and in Pentecostal Holiness Churches. The Reformed or "Baptistic" Pentecostals are generally found in the Assemblies of God or the Foursquare Gospel Churches.

I've heard it said that Methodists are generally more open to the operation of the spiritual gifts than most Baptists. From my experience though, it's the opposite.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Reformed or "Baptistic" Pentecostals are generally found in the Assemblies of God or the Foursquare Gospel Churches.
Where did you get the idea that Assembly of God and Four Square are "baptist/reformed?"

With the exception of the pentecostal gifts, the Assembly of God is doctrinally identical to the Nazarenes.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Where did you get the idea that Assembly of God and Four Square are "baptist/reformed?"

With the exception of the pentecostal gifts, the Assembly of God is doctrinally identical to the Nazarenes.
The information I've read has said the Assemblies of God came from Baptist roots, but I'm appreciate the information you have provided.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The information I've read has said the Assemblies of God came from Baptist roots,
The most iconic belief of the Baptists is Once Saved Always Saved.
The A/G has a longstanding policy of revoking the credentials of any A/G pastor teaching OSAS.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The most iconic belief of the Baptists is Once Saved Always Saved.
The A/G has a longstanding policy of revoking the credentials of any A/G pastor teaching OSAS.
Then, evidently, my information is wrong. ;) In saying that, however, even if a denomination came from another already-established movement, doesn't automatically mean they are going to take all (or even most) of the original's doctrinal beliefs. Isn't the idea of having a new movement/denomination/organization to have different beliefs?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then, evidently, my information is wrong. ;) In saying that, however, even if a denomination came from another already-established movement, doesn't automatically mean they are going to take all (or even most) of the original's doctrinal beliefs. Isn't the idea of having a new movement/denomination/organization to have different beliefs?
That depends a lot on WHY the split took place. Often is over non-doctrinal issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W Johnson

Jul 3, 2017
Michigan
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have never encountered what is commonly referred to as speaking in tongues in a Methodist Church. I did see it as a child at a friend’s Vacation Bible School during a summer break, it kind of freaked me out. I always thought that the gift of tongues meant that the person would be speaking a real language that they did not know and the others around him would understand the language.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have never encountered what is commonly referred to as speaking in tongues in a Methodist Church. I did see it as a child at a friend’s Vacation Bible School during a summer break, it kind of freaked me out. I always thought that the gift of tongues meant that the person would be speaking a real language that they did not know and the others around him would understand the language.

I haven't seen it in church service either, but I didn't start going to a Methodist church until a few years ago. I did speak in tongues once in service but it was in a blended group after my baptism and took me by surprise. I know what you mean on the freaked out part - my friend's Pentecostal church I visited once as a teenager had some stuff going on that was definitely unfamiliar to me!

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I recollect my pastor telling of his cousin or brother (or a friend, I forget which) that was filled with the Holy Spirit in a Methodist church and began speaking in tongues. If I'm remembering the story correctly, the Methodist pastor there wasn't against it, but he felt that some of the more strictly cessationist members would reject it and perhaps leave the church. As a compromise, my pastor's friend could "get into the Spirit" in the church's fellowship hall away from the main sanctuary. Eventually, others joined him there, receiving the Spirit as he did, and I believe he eventually joined some form of a Pentecostal church.

And their are different tongues. The gift of tongues, as you speak of, is a message for the church that should be interpreted. Other tongues, however, are a personal prayer language individual Christians receive that cannot and does not need to be interpreted.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's almost guaranteed. Let's see if we can think of any denomination that came from another one and yet remained identical to it in its teachings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always thought that the gift of tongues meant that the person would be speaking a real language that they did not know and the others around him would understand the language.
Yeah - that only happened once that we know of: in Acts 2.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah - that only happened once that we know of: in Acts 2.
I've actually heard multiple stories where a Christian spoke in tongues during a service with individuals of foreign tongues in attendance. One I particularly remember had this woman praying in tongues for this Mexican woman. The woman praying wasn't the most educated, and she had no knowledge for the Spanish language. Afterwards, however, the woman that was prayed for told the pastor (and others, I'm sure) that this woman was praying in Spanish, glorifying God and telling this woman of His goodness.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've actually heard multiple stories where a Christian spoke in tongues during a service with individuals of foreign tongues in attendance. One I particularly remember had this woman praying in tongues for this Mexican woman.
Yes - we have all heard stories like that, including the writing of the praise chorus "Song of Moses."

But there is only one instance in scripture.

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,526.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Very good question!

Upvote 0