What do we make of this viral video that apparently shows a kneeling man being refused Holy Communion at Benedict’s funeral?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A video circulating online shows a man denied the Eucharist at Benedict XVI's funeral. Will the Vatican address it?

Soon after the funeral of Pope Benedict XVI, a video began circulating online, which appeared to show a man being denied Holy Communion at the Mass, as he knelt before a priest distributing the Eucharist and attempted to receive on the tongue.

The video was apparently an excerpt from Vatican Media’s own broadcast of the funeral. And, of course, the video is without sound or context — any possible extenuating circumstances or additional information is not available to those who view it.

There is only a story told in a few seconds of video — a man kneels, removes the hood of jacket, a priest says something to him and pulls back the sacred host, the man seemingly attempts again to receive it as he rises from the ground, and the priest seems to rebuke him. The man, and a woman behind him in line, turn around and return into the congregation.

Continued below.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the article explains it quite well.
From the article;

"The video was apparently an excerpt from Vatican Media’s own broadcast of the funeral. And, of course, the video is without sound or context — any possible extenuating circumstances or additional information is not available to those who view it."

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article;

"The video was apparently an excerpt from Vatican Media’s own broadcast of the funeral. And, of course, the video is without sound or context — any possible extenuating circumstances or additional information is not available to those who view it."
As I said. The Pillar explains it quite well and charitably at that. We shall see.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The man also bends down to move something before he approaches the altar. What he was
doing is unknown. Plus, it was crowded and not conducive for kneeling. He then grasps
the host with his teeth out of the Eucharistic Minister's fingers.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As I said. The Pillar explains it quite well and charitably at that. We shall see.
The article doesn't explain anything other than what I copied and pasted.

Calling the Church "The Francischurch," is disrespectful in of itself.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article doesn't explain anything other than what I copied and pasted.

Calling the Church "The Francischurch," is disrespectful in of itself.
Oh Jim, I always leave it to you to view anything posted without charity. The article described how some view it as a Francischurch thus this incident adding fuel to their fire.

See it how you want. I disagree of course.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh Jim, I always leave it to you to view anything posted without charity. The article described how some view it as a Francischurch thus thus incident adding fuel to their fire.

See it how you want. I disagree of course.
Without charity? You're the one who posted this article that didn't provide information other
than showing a bias against Pope Francis. So where was the charity on your part?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without charity? You're the one who posted this article that didn't provide information other
than showing a bias against Pope Francis. So where was the charity on your part?
What was I uncharitable about Jim? Look, you have had a bone to pick with me for years. I suggest you get over it or put me on ignore. Many good and informative things are posted in this Catholic forum that are of interest and edification to Catholics. When you start posting about those good things instead of telling me I lose credibility, the forum is not Catholic, etc on everything that disagrees with your personal opinion I’ll start taking you seriously. An incident happened during communion at a funeral televised worldwide. What do you expect? I mean, get used to it. These things happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What was I uncharitable about Jim? Look you have had a bone to pick with me for years. I suggest you get over it or put me on ignore. Many good and informative things are posted in this Catholic forum that are of interest and edification to Catholics. When you start posting about those good things instead of telling me I lose credibility, the forum is not Catholic, etc on everything that disagrees with your personal opinion I’ll start taking you seriously. An incident happened during communion at a funeral televised worldwide. What do you expect? I mean, get used to it. These things happen.
The forum is yours and is not Catholic. All anyone has to do is observe
the number of threads you open per hour, along with articles from
anti-catholic sites like lifesitenews.

Don't worry, I'm going away, for I know when I'm not wanted.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The forum is yours and is not Catholic. All anyone has to do is observe
the number of threads you open per hour, along with articles from
anti-catholic sites like lifesitenews.

Don't worry, I'm going away, for I know when I'm not wanted.
Funny I find the same topics on Catholic sites I do LSN. I never claimed this forum as my own. I do not post anti-Catholic material. You just seem to have a problem with me personally. And have for years. Again, you ignore all the good here. And yes Jim. It is a Catholic forum. Nobody asked you to leave. That’s your choice.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I saw it earlier and retweeted it asking for prayer for the priest.
May he regard the Holiness of the Lord.

Despite not knowing what was said, I seldom see refusal of the Eucharist.

Maybe the man insulted him for making him stand? Maybe not?
The issue it comes down to is making him stand. I think some priests are of the opinion - and I've seen this spread about - the Lord wants fruits not religious nuts. Maybe it offended the priest the show the man put on, but he should have given the Eucharist and prayed over the man and himself for the incident later on.

I understand priests are human and have their own particular opinions, but unless the man was wholely insulting the priest or the Lord, he should not have been excluded because of reverence.

Being we do not know the words spoken, priests have more to answer for so maybe a genuine show of blessing the man and sending him would have vetted rumors or what not.
Was the man non Catholic? Was he Catholic? Did he say something. As a priest [which I am not] perhaps he could have asked him to see him later.
The ones behind him - maybe also not Catholic? Maybe also wishing to kneel.

I don't have answers. So I can say I pray.
I hope he wasn't refused for reverence. If he was, I hope the priest considers it.
If he was stating something in opposition to receiving, I hope the man repents or is guided.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok so watching it again a few times it seems the man kneeling wasn't the problem, but that he wanted the man to use his hands vs taking it by mouth [probably covid or health issues and Italy was hit very hard] ... and I am going to guess right now, that it is probably still in place in very large crowds that nobody receive by mouth.

I enlarged the video to see the priest was waiting for the man to open his hands but instead the man went at it with his mouth and the priest asked him to use his hands and not grab after it by mouth.
I say this again: as I prayed very hard over this issue... and was determined to avoid taking it by hand - that if the Church [the Pope] allows it, he has the keys [authority] and my opinion remains that. Obedience to the memory who has the keys and we're ok.

I'm also guessing since I've never been to the Vatican for the Eucharist that under the new health guidelines, [as in my parish still] to receive Communion last if by mouth... which is what I do rather than by hand.

At the end the priest looked amazed or dumbfounded the man walked away.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Last post to say as I watched it enlarged again.
"I need you to use your hands" the priest said and the man walked away rather than take it. The priest was somewhat befuddled.
No insults, no refusal, just the request to do it as the guidelines for health reasons require.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok so watching it again a few times it seems the man kneeling wasn't the problem, but that he wanted the man to use his hands vs taking it by mouth [probably covid or health issues and Italy was hit very hard] ... and I am going to guess right now, that it is probably still in place in very large crowds that nobody receive by mouth.

I enlarged the video to see the priest was waiting for the man to open his hands but instead the man went at it with his mouth and the priest asked him to use his hands and not grab after it by mouth.
I say this again: as I prayed very hard over this issue... and was determined to avoid taking it by hand - that if the Church [the Pope] allows it, he has the keys [authority] and my opinion remains that. Obedience to the memory who has the keys and we're ok.

I'm also guessing since I've never been to the Vatican for the Eucharist that under the new health guidelines, [as in my parish still] to receive Communion last if by mouth.

At the end the priest looked amazed or dumbfounded the man walked away.
I’m watching the funeral again. I just saw where this incident occurred. He kneeled down and the priest said something. As the man got up, it appeared he tried to take it from the priests hand with his mouth? Not sure. Anyway, a female was behind the man and she did not receive communion either. I’m not sure. Going to try to watch that part again. I missed it yesterday when I was at mom’s.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another thing I noticed is Pope Francis has gained a large amount of weight. I was shocked when I saw that. That can’t be good for his knees. But he is getting older and it’s not as easy to do things as it once was for him.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0