What do we do about Stone Mountain Georgia?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stone Mountain - Wikipedia

1200px-Stone_Mountain%2C_the_carving%2C_and_the_Train.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: Ken Rank

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL.... when poor conclusions are drawn, about anything... when extended out you eventually run into something that exposes how the foundation was faulty to begin with. What DO we do with Stone Mountain? See, at this point I am surprised that some 50 year old man has not tried to play in a girls softball league claiming this to be what he identifies with. That is what I mean... you open up a door based on nonsense... and all the craziness of the world becomes obvious.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The largest bas-relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving depicts three Confederate leaders of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (and their favorite horses, "Blackjack", "Traveller", and "Little Sorrel", respectively). The entire carved surface measures 1.57 acres (6,400 m2). The carving of the three men towers 400 feet (120 m) above the ground, measures 76 by 158 feet (23 by 48 m), and is recessed 42 feet (13 m) into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee's right elbow, which is 12 feet (3.7 m) to the mountain's surface.[6]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you remove statues of all of the evil men in history, you will have no statues at all. And you will still have many problems, especially in the areas of racism. Why? Because we live in a world that is living in open, willful rebellion to God's created decree. Man demonstrates his hatred of God by displaying his hatred of his fellow man who happens to be a different skin pigmentation than him. If you don't love God, it is impossible to love your fellow man.

As a side note, I don't care for statues at all. But once the people forget their history, including the bad things they have done, they will most certainly repeat those evil deeds.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No Robert E Lee in Virginia. What about one 100 times larger in GA.

What do we do with the tribute to the Comfederate?
Nothing... they don't promote racism... that is a heart condition. To blame it on an object is a lazy and irresponsible act by people who are not as intelligent as they think they are!

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When I travel to Europe I seek out monuments and preserved items even from bad events in history. When I was in York many years ago I stumbled upon Cliffords Tower where a large number of Jews died during a particularly horrible 12th century pogrom. It is sobering to see this thing from an ancient time and know that there was a horrible event that occurred there. And perhaps we should endeavor to NEVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT AGAIN. Now, granted Stone Mountain wasn't carved during the Civil War (many Civil War statues like the one in Charlottesville were put up in the early 20th century and some possibly not for good reasons), but we can use it as a reminder of a justly defeated ideology in the US. (Besides, if I recall, Borglum, who did Mt. Rushmore is responsible for Stone Mountain, so we can also appreciate it as an art form).

No one says we need to make it a hagiography of the South (and I realize many Kluxers flock to Stone Mountain but they will go whereever, the elimination of Stone Mountain won't make their hatred cease to exist).

When I lived in New Orleans we even found the monument to the Battle of Liberty Place, a cause celebre for David Duke and his cesspool of friends. It was squirreled away behind a parking garage as I recall. But it was sobering to realize that here was a monument to a particularly dark event in Reconstruction race relations. Yeah, it's sickening that it acts like a magnet for the nazi scum who worshiped there, but its existence also can be a less to the rest of us of our nation's dark past and something we need to remind ourselves that even in the 21st century we are not always as advanced as we'd like to be.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When I lived in New Orleans I also worked on "Robert E. Lee Blvd". It was strange but I was never horrified by it. I was a yankee transplant from Illinois, so I was confident in the fact that Northerners had soundly defeated the South (and by some estimates the North did it with one arm tied behind its back resource-wise). So I wasn't threatened and I am reasonably certain that there were no normally-functioning people who even thought about the fact that everytime they addressed something form work they had to write "Robert E. Lee Blvd" on the letter.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Do we blow up Auschwitz because of the horrors that went on there?

Do we destroy all images of Henry VIII?

Do we pull down the colleseum in Rome?

All theses thing are part of history. They can teach people of how to respect life etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟895,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You do understand it's not a statue?
OH well with the post there was not a whole lot there. I find it nuts they have an issue at this point.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
It's all a slippery slope (no pun intended), that's for sure.

Where do we stop? Should we:
Get rid of Mount Rushmore? Washington and Jefferson were slave owners
Tear down the Jefferson Memorial? Same reason as above
Tear down all statues of Jefferson and Washington? Same reason as above
Strike out any reference in history books, rename roads and streets that are named for our founding fathers who were slave owners?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The largest bas-relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving depicts three Confederate leaders of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (and their favorite horses, "Blackjack", "Traveller", and "Little Sorrel", respectively). The entire carved surface measures 1.57 acres (6,400 m2). The carving of the three men towers 400 feet (120 m) above the ground, measures 76 by 158 feet (23 by 48 m), and is recessed 42 feet (13 m) into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee's right elbow, which is 12 feet (3.7 m) to the mountain's surface.[6]

Hmm. I wonder if this means we can call USC a racist school. After all it is The University of SOUTHERN California and their mascot is Traveler!

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0