What do Unitarians believe about Christ?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Unitarian Universalists have almost as many views of Jesus Christ as are imaginable, but most of them see Him as a good man with good teachings, not so different from the good and wise men in all ages. There is one consensus about Christ, however, which seems to find universal UU agreement: He is not an atoning Savior.
Unitarian Universalists have almost as many views of Jesus Christ as are imaginable, but most of them see Him as a good man with good teachings, not so different from the good and wise men in all ages. There is one consensus about Christ, however, which seems to find universal Unitarian Universalist [UU] agreement: He is not an atoning Savior. UU minister Waldeman Argow declares of UU’s: “They do not regard him as a supernatural creature, the literal son of God who was miraculously sent to earth as part of an involved plan for the salvation of human souls.”[1] In fact, Argow maintains incorrectly that to accept the biblical portrait (which incidentally, teaches both His full humanity and His undiminished deity), is to make Him irrelevant, for then, supposedly, He is a God that man cannot relate to.
What Unitarian Universalists Are Taught About Jesus Christ | John Ankerberg Show

I ask because my mother seemed to hold these views. I don't know that she believed there is a salvation.

Did John Ankerberg express their views correctly? I talked to my mother about Jesus for at least forty years. She never reacted and never read the Bible. Something made her not care or not believe.

I have to leave now. I'll probably check this thread tonight. Thank you, friends.

Reactions: Darkhorse

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would say that that is a correct overview of the UUs up to the end of the quote from Argow. The church today has become so diverse that almost any belief--including pagan--is welcome. Still, what you outlined probably does continue to represent the most common POV and does accord well with the UU statement of principles. By the way, a good and easy primer written by a UU minister is The Challenge of a Liberal Faith. Maybe it is available on Amazon.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I said it in a matter-of-fact way.

In that case, yes.
I was in a UU church for about a year and the congregation had a Baptist couple, some Jews, a Native American man, some non-affiliated Christians, and even two Pagans.

Services had some formal ritualistic aspects but the teachings were pretty non-specific. They basically said that all of our different methods of communing with the divine were OK.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,315.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
In that case, yes.
I was in a UU church for about a year and the congregation had a Baptist couple, some Jews, a Native American man, some non-affiliated Christians, and even two Pagans.
A very close Pagan friend is very active in a UU church.

Upvote 0

Starcomet

Unitarian Sacramental Christian
May 9, 2011
Baltimore City
✟42,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
The UUA, as in the organization/religion, officially says Jesus was just a man with good teachings as you and others have said. Among the members it will vary widely! Some (especially the secular humanist ones) will have a very harsh view of Jesus and believe he either never existed or if he did he was insane. Others will share the view of the organization officially and the Christians members will have a more conservative Unitarian view of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0