Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
a song by Bob Dylan called "Ring them Bells". Seems to have a Christian theme and Christian references. Does anyone know what they mean?

Ring them bells ye heathen from the city that dreams
Ring them bells from the sanctuaries cross the valleys and streams
For they're deep and they're wide
And the world is on its side
And time is running backwards
And so is the bride

Ring them bells Saint Peter where the four winds blow
Ring them bells with an iron hand
So the people will know
Oh it's rush hour now
On the wheel and the plow
And the sun is going down upon the sacred cow

Ring them bells Sweet Martha for the poor man's son
Ring them bells so the world will know that God is one
Oh the shepherd is asleep
Where the willows weep
And the mountains are filled with lost sheep
Ring them bells for the blind and the deaf
Ring them bells for all of us who are left
Ring them bells for the chosen few
Who will judge the many when the game is through
Ring them bells for the time that flies
For the child that cries
When innocence dies

Ring them bells for Saint Catherine from the top of the room
Ring them bells from the fortress for the lilies that bloom
Oh the lines are long and the fighting is strong
And they're breaking down the distance between right and wrong

Songwriters
BOB DYLAN

Read more: Bob Dylan - Ring Them Bells Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
At first glance it looks like an end times message. "Time is running backwards, and so is the bride," makes me think of those that will fall away.

Almost seems pretribulational...and could be. I know in the 70s Dylan had a born again experience...but I'm not sure what denomination he is...

Upvote 0

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did some searching on google to hopefully find an answer, heres a article by Tony Atwood
Ring them bells: more Times a-Changing than religious treatise | Untold Dylan

Once a big fan who even attended a concert with my father who was also a fan, I hasten to say I threw out Bob as a man who helped break moral rightious traditions for the wicked men who run the World, perhaps an embedded agent for his beguilded "chosen people" who denounce Jesus. Change agent - I'll let you decide whether things were changed for the better from the 60's

On face value, with knowledge of the Occult, I wouldn't be surprised if he's mocking, but very subtly!

Like the Beatles -They sold their soul for Rock,n,Roll

Last edited:
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I did some searching on google to hopefully find an answer, heres a article by Tony Atwood

Once a big fan who even attended a concert with my father who was also a fan, I hasten to say I threw out Bob as a man who helped break moral rightious traditions for the wicked men who run the World, perhaps an embedded agent for his beguilded "chosen people" who denounce Jesus.

excellent link, thanks very much!

Reactions: TrueBornAgain
Upvote 0

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's on topic but not the answer most would expect.

If you have a spare 3hrs and want to get the big picture behind whats been going on this explains so much and has God and Jesus as the focal point, made around 2005 and still potent as the day it was made, exceptionally researched and narrated, I'd even go as far as to say it's the best Docco ever made, must see for all Christians in these times.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Once a big fan who even attended a concert with my father who was also a fan, I hasten to say I threw out Bob as a man who helped break moral rightious traditions for the wicked men who run the World, perhaps an embedded agent for his beguilded "chosen people" who denounce Jesus. Change agent - I'll let you decide whether things were changed for the better from the 60's

On face value, with knowledge of the Occult, I wouldn't be surprised if he's mocking, but very subtly!

I don't think it's mockery...Dylan became born again in the 70s...this song was from the late 80s. Did a little research...it appears that Dylan came to Christ after going to some Hal Lindsey meetings...so that would confirm the pretibulational message of the song. Looks like Dylan may be Messianic, or at least was when he wrote this.

Bob Dylan finds God – a classic article from the vaults

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also by Dylan, after he became a Christian:

"Gotta Serve Somebody"

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls.

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

Might be a rock'n' roll adict prancing on the stage
Might have money and drugs at your commands, women in a cage
You may be a business man or some high degree thief
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief.

Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may be a state trooper, you might be an young turk
You may be the head of some big TV network
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame
You may be living in another country under another name.

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes

You may be a construction worker working on a home
You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome
You might own guns and you might even own tanks
You might be somebody's landlord you might even own banks.

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side
You may be working in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
You may be somebody's mistress, may be somebody's heir.

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk
You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread
You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed.

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may call me Terry, you may call me Jimmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
You may call me anything but no matter what you say.

You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's mockery...Dylan became born again in the 70s...this song was from the late 80s. Did a little research...it appears that Dylan came to Christ after going to some Hal Lindsey meetings...so that would confirm the pretibulational message of the song. Looks like Dylan may be Messianic, or at least was when he wrote this.

Bob Dylan finds God – a classic article from the vaults

I haven't looked into it and wasn't even sure if Dylan was Christian, but as I read the lyrics, I got the idea it was definitely christian, and that it was truth in line with the Bible.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I haven't looked into it and wasn't even sure if Dylan was Christian, but as I read the lyrics, I got the idea it was definitely christian, and that it was truth in line with the Bible.

Interesting.
Yessir, he released three or four albums in the 70s and 80s that were heavily influenced by his faith. Probably his most famous song from that time period was, "Gotta Serve Somebody." "Saved" is another one (my personal favorite)...if you like contemporary Christian music, Third Day did an excellent cover of that one. I think Dylan is probably one of the greatest songwriters/poets of the 20th century...but everyone else sings his songs so much better than he does, lol.

Upvote 0

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for my unpopular views, perhaps I'm wrong on where Dylan's religious Faith lies, but I know the "chosen ones" as they like to believe they are a superior race unto Gentiles, this may be controversial to those who haven't done much research Biblically that reveals they are not God's chosen race as they have done not what He commanded of them in letting go of the Talmud, and it's leading off topic but as controvercial as it is, regardless of his fantastic musical talents, admittedly I am skeptical and un-trusting of any rich influencial Jews in the World, especially too as Dylan is most famous for his lyric "your son's a daughters are beyond your command" destroying Gentile families (sacred union of the Family is all but destroyed now)

Important to note is am not against Jews I have met and know some lovely ones but I know their History particularly Ashkenazi who are the most wicked sect/cult. Orthodox Judaism created Freemasonry and are as Satanic as they come. These ones God's word condemns as the Synagogue of Satan.

Maybe Dylan is a free agent but I doubt it in that industry. George W Bush had all of America believing he was a Evnagelical Christian but the truth couldn't have been more froward. Messaniac could be seen as the chosen ones masquerading as Christians, when it comes down to allegiance all sects will stand against Gentiles if they had to chose. So will all muslum sects stand aganist Christians when they are no longer a minority. Jews have sought all the positions of power and influence on the planet, perhaps research the music industry in this regard. Dylan may still be a nobody if His kindred didnt control the media which always gave him exposure etc etc ad nauseum.

I have trouble finding modern popular music that doesn't have any hidden agenda, Satan's war is waged from where people put their unconscious trust, in the Music Industry and Hollywood all run by the wicked Jews.

On face value the Lyrics appear nice, what they may mean is open to interpretation, thats my interpretation and some will say that's paranoid, bigoted, racist or whatever label, well so be it...

The whiting or un-whiting agents of social etyhics/morality will condemn my view because it dosen't fit in the new age agenda that has gotten so deep into our society through ignorance to God's word, that's why the end is near. I digress and don't wish to argue. I would say if you want to write a biblical song write it in accordance with Scripture but that wouldn't make money or be popular, you can't serve two Masters - Money or God !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yessir, he released three or four albums in the 70s and 80s that were heavily influenced by his faith. Probably his most famous song from that time period was, "Gotta Serve Somebody." "Saved" is another one (my personal favorite)...if you like contemporary Christian music, Third Day did an excellent cover of that one. I think Dylan is probably one of the greatest songwriters/poets of the 20th century...but everyone else sings his songs so much better than he does, lol.

Dylan was the "jester" with the "voice that came from you and me" in Don McLean's "American Pie."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for my unpopular views, perhaps I'm wrong on where Dylan's religious Faith lies, but I know the "chosen ones" as they like to believe they are a superior race unto Gentiles, this may be controversial to those who haven't done much research Biblically that reveals they are not God's chosen race as they have done not what He commanded of them in letting go of the Talmud, and it's leading off topic but as controvercial as it is, regardless of his fantastic musical talents, admittedly I am skeptical and un-trusting of any rich influencial Jews in the World, especially too as Dylan is most famous for his lyric "your son's a daughters are beyond your command" destroying Gentile families (sacred union of the Family is all but destroyed now)

Important to note is am not against Jews I have met and know some lovely ones but I know their History particularly Ashkenazi who are the most wicked sect/cult. Orthodox Judaism created Freemasonry and are as Satanic as they come. These ones God's word condemns as the Synagogue of Satan.

Maybe Dylan is a free agent but I doubt it in that industry. George W Bush had all of America believing he was a Evnagelical Christian but the truth couldn't have been more froward. Messaniac could be seen as the chosen ones masquerading as Christians, when it comes down to allegiance all sects will stand against Gentiles if they had to chose. So will all muslum sects stand aganist Christians when they are no longer a minority. Jews have sought all the positions of power and influence on the planet, perhaps research the music industry in this regard. Dylan may still be a nobody if His kindred didnt control the media which always gave him exposure etc etc ad nauseum.

I have trouble finding modern popular music that doesn't have any hidden agenda, Satan's war is waged from where people put their unconscious trust, in the Music Industry and Hollywood all run by the wicked Jews.

On face value the Lyrics appear nice, what they may mean is open to interpretation, thats my interpretation and some will say that's paranoid, bigoted, racist or whatever label, well so be it...

The whiting or un-whiting agents of social etyhics/morality will condemn my view because it dosen't fit in the new age agenda that has gotten so deep into our society through ignorance to God's word, that's why the end is near. I digress and don't wish to argue. I would say if you want to write a biblical song write it in accordance with Scripture but that wouldn't make money or be popular, you can't serve two Masters - Money or God !

Dylan professed Christianity, and neither of us knows him well enough make a judgment on his profession.

That was a pretty savagely bigoted diatribe. You do know that Jesus is a Jew, right?

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Dylan is probably one of the greatest songwriters/poets of the 20th century...but everyone else sings his songs so much better than he does, lol.

Agreed, still, his die hard followers just want to hear him do it. :)

For me, after the 60's he kinda got lost in the crowd for much better music, but there is a certain non glitter aspect about the music as a whole that I like. And the icon that he is, I'm very happy to see he's an active, working Christian.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
He's claimed from Judism, iChing(?), spiritual, mystic, Christianity, "?",
"music is my religion", Judism, Messianic etc...so that like weighs out
to him being "spiritual".

As for the meaning of the lyrics of the song you posted...well I tend to agree
with what John Thompson wrote about the song's lyrics mean: "that any of our concepts of personal freedom are ultimately a myth. Our option is not to serve or to be independent, but simply to choose to whom we will ultimately bow."

Upvote 0

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I know. Jesus was given to the Jews by God that they would repent from evil and wickedness.

Jesus was of God not a Jew as such, but given to the Jews that they would change their wicked ways, firstly then to the Gentiles. I revere Jesus and God not some great artist of words who the blind idolize !

I'd change my mind on Dylan if he gave up much of his riches to help all people regardless of race or creed, the needy and poor. He has the ability to appease God with his gifts, I believe he doesn't expose the wickedness of Jews today in his lyrics but he appeases them. I'd rather be called a bigot than bearing false witness, to maintain acceptance among the social order of today's sick society.

Does anyone care that Zionist Jews wish to kill all Christians, and destroy our cultures through deceit, the Christian genocide is upon us, and the marxist agents have been working fervently on it for a hundred plus years in secret. They enjoy reverence and fame among us but wish to destroy us. Does Dylan follow that agenda?? I can't say for sure but look up "Rabbi Finkelstein" and hear his radio interview and you may see where I am coming from, hear what he boasts about, then make up your own mind. There's a challenge before you label me as a crackpot ! I am a defender and contender for true Christian Faith.

The wars of today are all fought for Jewish Banking Oligarchs and Israel who are not the true heirs of the Holy Land, when we stay ignorant and and quiet to this and even defend it then we are a part of it, so say what you will. Those who preserve the word of God and repent and become saved, are the heirs of Israel and Zion.

You know a man when he's truly found the Lord and given his life to serve Him, I don't see that in Dylan, myself. The lyrics are a mish-mash of scriptural words greatly blended into a confusing soup, and mixed in is Satan, but I will say this in it's favor, that perhaps it will plant some seeds in the lost?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
[from link]
" When he wants to paint an abstract painting on a religious theme, then he does it with half references, and accumulated but disconnected images, which he does here."

I see Dylan as a painter with words and music. As the author of this link says later, he is just as interested in the sounds of words as their meaning. He would probably laugh at people trying to figure out the meanings of lyrics like this. The lyrics are almost like red herrings to distract us. I think to write a song like this, he has to access his artistic side more than his logical analytical side. And what he has created is something larger than life. A masterpiece in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0