Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Simply stated, conservative Christianity focuses primarily on law, doctrine, and authority; liberal Christianity focuses on love, spiritual experience, and what Baptists call the priesthood of the believer.
I don't think that is entirely accurate. I appreciate your detailed response. Some of my disagreement with your response may simply result from definitions of words, but here they are FWIW:

Love and spiritual experience are often areas of focus for conservative Christians too. Imagine a Pentecostal who might have a fundamentalist theology while seeking spiritual experience and trying to love others.

The priesthood of the believer also doesn't seem to be a distinguishing trait if it means that priests are not required. Most Protestants believe in the priesthood of the believer, but most of them are not liberal Christians. Similarly, some Catholics are liberal Christians. If you mean that liberal Christians are more likely to decide for themselves what to believe instead of looking to leaders in their denomination, then probably that is true. Quakers are an example of that approach, and probably most of them identify as liberal Christians.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Drjean.....I usually refer to myself as a “free man in Christ” or an “unreligeous Christian”. Religion says “do”—Christianity says “done”. Understanding that is everything one needs to know.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Mainstream protestant Christianity in my country would almost certainly perceive American mainstream protestantism as shockingly fundamentalist, reactionary, and extreme.

Our Lutheran church, in turn, would seem flamboyantly liberal to an American spectator.
They don't do doorstep proselytizing. They don't stand on the streets shouting angrily into megaphones.
They think Chick tract are not only unintentionally humorous, but also a dangerously simplistic distortion of the gospel.

I'll let them speak for themselves:

Startseite www.ekd.de

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I'd say liberal Christians believe largely in the same tenets as their fundamentalist brethren: Jesus died for our sins, this act of mercy is what saves mankind, etc.
Where they disagree is on the exegesis of the Bible: a literalist reading simply misses such fundamental aspects as cultural context, individual (theological) perspectives by different authors, etc.

They don't necessarily deny that the Bible is *inspired*, but the shape of that inspiration does not mirror the fundamentalist notion that God basically handed down every single letter verbatim.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I have talked to liberal Christians, I am confused.
- Some seem like atheists who do not want to label themselves atheists.
- Others seem like normal Christians who do not want to label themselves normal Christians.

My confusion with liberal Christians reminds me of my confusion with neo-pagans. Do they actually believe anything that an atheist doesn't also believe? Sometimes I think the answer is "yes" and sometimes I think the answer is "no".

For example, if Jesus was an ordinary human prophet or teacher, then where are these wise sayings? The sayings preserved in the gospels are few and often underwhelming. If a person identifies as a Christian, he/she should have a better reason than the sayings of Jesus or even the letters of Paul IMO.

Sayings that could save humanity from endless war --

"Love your neighbor as yourself"

"Forgive....seventy seven times"

"So in everything do to others as you would have them do to you"

And make billions of bad or no longer loving marriages into good ones if both people do these!

Considering the end of war and a great increase in happiness, well....His sayings are a tremendous reason to want to learn more of what He said, the amazing things He said people don't know yet. Even ways to rescue people in the most horrible lives -- the most desperate on the one hand for some, and the most destructive on the other hand for others -- and make these lives into lives that are good and wonderful to live.

And that's not all.

:)

• Informative
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd say liberal Christians believe largely in the same tenets as their fundamentalist brethren: Jesus died for our sins, this act of mercy is what saves mankind, etc.
Where they disagree is on the exegesis of the Bible: a literalist reading simply misses such fundamental aspects as cultural context, individual (theological) perspectives by different authors, etc.

They don't necessarily deny that the Bible is *inspired*, but the shape of that inspiration does not mirror the fundamentalist notion that God basically handed down every single letter verbatim.
O.k. I think of Bishop Spong ( John Shelby Spong - Wikipedia ) because I grew up in the Episcopal Church. I wonder if Bishop Spong actually believes in the tenets you listed as common to liberals and fundamentalists?

Spong was part of the Jesus Seminar and has written some books on the historical Jesus. I guess I don't understand why Spong and others like him are not atheists. I suppose Spong would probably lose his job if he became openly atheist. ... Of course I don't understand neo-pagans either. They seem to believe in metaphysical naturalism, but they cast spells and go through the motions of worshiping mythological gods. Why aren't they atheists?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
@Jane_the_Bane , here is a quote from the wikipedia article listing 12 points of Christian reform that Spong advocates. They sound pretty atheistic to me.
  1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
  2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
  3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
  4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
  5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
  6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
  7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
  8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.
  9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.
  10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.
  11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.
  12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.
John Shelby Spong - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is hard to answer because of the slipperiness of the term “liberal.” First, it was never clear whether it means politically liberal or theologically liberal. While at one time conservative theology meant political conservative, there are now moderate evangelicals that understand Jesus’ priorities to imply something that in the US is considered politically liberal. I think of "progressive" as being associated more with the political implications. I connect "liberal" with an approach in theology and exegesis that was associated with the word "liberal" back into the 19th Cent.

Second, in my opinion there are two different kinds of theological liberal. One is someone who has simply become skeptical about traditional theology. They may not have anything specific to replace it, but they have this feeling that Jesus wouldn’t agree with things like 90% of the people going to everlasting torment, and that things like the Trinity may not represent Jesus’ view. Although this isn’t my approach, there are people in my church like this. I think such people are common even in more conservative churches. The survey data I see on attributes of younger Christians about gays suggests that the number of people like this is growing.

The second type of theologically liberal are people who follow the official theologies of the mainline churches. These go back to 18th Cent developments in scholarship, which began to have significant impact in the US in the late 19th Cent, leading up to the early 20th Cent church conflicts. These folks tend to see Scripture as a description of human encounters with God, but not in itself God’s word. (One phrase is "Scripture contains the Word of God," though that's not a phrase I'd use.) They accept modern scholarship on Scripture. They also accept modern theology, which sees traditional theology as attempts of Christians in various cultures to understand and apply Jesus teachings and the impact of his death and resurrection. But as we’ve come to understand more about the Jewish background of the New Testament, it’s clear that this theology at times misunderstands the intent of the Biblical authors.

I represent the latter type of liberalism, so I’ll talk about it. In my opinion the range of views represented go roughly from N T Wright to Marcus Borg. Wright is considered a conservative in the UK and Europe, but in the US context he’s a liberal. In particular, he rejects Chalcedon, the key definition of the Incarnation, because he doesn’t think it uses Biblical categories.

In my experience, all liberal theologians accept key Christian doctrines, such as the Trinity and Incarnation. However they don’t understand them in the way that they ended up being formulated officially. The Incarnation as officially described takes an approach that is commonly called “ontological.” That is, it’s based on the kind of metaphysical entity that Christ is. In particular, he is a person with two natures. Most modern theologians don’t use that type of description, and believe that the NT authors didn’t intend it. They see the unity between Jesus and God to be “functional.” That is, Jesus is spoken of in the NT as God’s way to be present with us. He functions as or for God. Another approach, which you’ll see in Wright, says that Jesus is part of the “identity” of God. If you’re interested in more, see Wright’s paper Jesus and the Identity of God. Wright has rather pointedly refused to answer the question of whether Jesus is God, because he doesn't think that's the right way to put it, but denying it is likely to imply things he doesn't want to imply.

Key questions:

* What’s the role of Scripture? As I noted, I think God actually did send Jesus, and that he did actually guide Israel, at a minimum through the voice of the Prophets. The Bible contains the only primary source data for understanding that. Yes, it comes from a culture that’s more credulous about miracles, and many of the NT documents probably make false claims about their authors, but I still think it’s hard to explain the existence of Christianity without thinking that something like that actually happened. So despite its limitations, our theology still has to be based on Scripture. It’s just that we need to assess each book in the Bible critically, to understand how it can and can’t be used.

* Do we actually believe in God, or is it a metaphor? That’s a difficult question. As far as I can tell, mainline leaders and the theologians they work with actually believe in God. There are people further out than Borg, who I think do use God as kind of a metaphor. But Borg himself says clearly that he thinks there’s something beyond this world, with an actual God that does things. I’m part of a pretty liberal church in the Northeast US. I’m reasonably sure that our members and clergy believe there’s an actual God, and do normal things like pray. Of course there is one minister in my denomination who is an atheist. I don’t deny that there are more radical people. But I don’t think very many liberal Christians go that route.

A trickier person to deal with is Spong. He says he doesn't believe in a "theistic God." He seems to be rejecting the idea that God is kind of like a human being outside the universe, who reaches in an intervenes. It's a bit unclear what his alternative is. Someone reading his work could reasonably accuse him of making God essentially a metaphor. I'm not going to make a judgement, because I can't tell what he's actually advocating. I think this view is unusual within mainline Christianity. (By mainline I mean the traditional liberal denominations: Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, etc.) But maybe if I understood what he meant I'd be more accepting. I note that with this view it becomes hard to say that humans are made in God's image, even though this is something he wants to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People could start here: Liberal Christianity - Wikipedia and follow the links to learn more....or people could continue to build straw men, knock them down thus demonstrating their apparent belief they understand something that bears no resemblance to actual "liberal Christianity". :wave:
tulc(prefers to let the people who do believe something explain what they believe) :sorry:

• Informative
Upvote 0

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People could start here: Liberal Christianity - Wikipedia and follow the links to learn more....or people could continue to build straw men, knock them down thus demonstrating their apparent belief they understand something that bears no resemblance to actual "liberal Christianity". :wave:
tulc(prefers to let the people who do believe something explain what they believe) :sorry:

Thanks for your response

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings, symbols and scriptures. Liberal Christianity did not originate as a belief structure, and as such was not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal doctrine. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, liberalism has no unified set of propositional beliefs. Instead, "Liberalism" from the start embraced the methodologies of Enlightenment science, including empirical evidence and the use of reason, as the basis for interpreting the Bible, life, faith and theology.

The word liberal in liberal Christianity originally denoted a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture according to modern philosophic perspectives (hence the parallel term modernism) and modern scientific assumptions, while attempting to achieve the Enlightenment ideal of objective point of view, without preconceived notions of the authority of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma
Liberal Christianity - Wikipedia

From the above I do believe I am a liberal Christianity

Having said that can I still post here?

:)-

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your response

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings, symbols and scriptures. Liberal Christianity did not originate as a belief structure, and as such was not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal doctrine. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, liberalism has no unified set of propositional beliefs. Instead, "Liberalism" from the start embraced the methodologies of Enlightenment science, including empirical evidence and the use of reason, as the basis for interpreting the Bible, life, faith and theology.

The word liberal in liberal Christianity originally denoted a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture according to modern philosophic perspectives (hence the parallel term modernism) and modern scientific assumptions, while attempting to achieve the Enlightenment ideal of objective point of view, without preconceived notions of the authority of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma
Liberal Christianity - Wikipedia

From the above I do believe I am a liberal Christianity

Having said that can I still post here?

:)-

That was well said. I consider myself a liberal Christian as well. Another way of looking at may be my view that there are two types of Bible scholars. Most are "apologetic scholars" who study the Bible only to confirm the understandings and credos that they already hold. They are incredibly reluctant to consider, and much less accept, any sort of new understanding. On the other hand a "liberal scholar" is willing to follow up on new discoveries and understandings no matter how they challenge existing views.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with that article is that it looks only at the more skeptical aspect of liberal theology. It's true that liberal Christians are a bit skeptical about miracles, because we understand that the authors of Scripture came from a culture that was somewhat credulous about miracles.

But although there are certainly some skeptical aspects about liberal theology, that treatment overly emphasizes skepticism. Modern theology deals with the full range of topics, including the nature of God, Christ's nature and mission, what it means to be saved, etc.

And even in the area of miracles, the idea of coming up with naturalistic explanations for the miracle stories is more characteristic of the earlier liberal theology. I suspect that some of the miracle stories grew in the telling, but it does seem clear that Jesus was known as a healer.

• Informative
Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟410,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my own case I tend to think of myself as a 'moderate', but I have no doubt that I would be considered liberal by many. I guess there being some looseness in what the term strictly/technically means opens it up to that sort of branding, anyway.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my own case I tend to think of myself as a 'moderate', but I have no doubt that I would be considered liberal by many. I guess there being some looseness in what the term strictly/technically means opens it up to that sort of branding, anyway.

Unfortunately for quite a number of Christians the liberal brand is automatically translated as "heretic".

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with that article is that it looks only at the more skeptical aspect of liberal theology. It's true that liberal Christians are a bit skeptical about miracles, because we understand that the authors of Scripture came from a culture that was somewhat credulous about miracles.

But although there are certainly some skeptical aspects about liberal theology, that treatment overly emphasizes skepticism. Modern theology deals with the full range of topics, including the nature of God, Christ's nature and mission, what it means to be saved, etc.

And even in the area of miracles, the idea of coming up with naturalistic explanations for the miracle stories is more characteristic of the earlier liberal theology. I suspect that some of the miracle stories grew in the telling, but it does seem clear that Jesus was known as a healer.
I do have to apologize, I posted before I read your post, (BAD tulc! no doughnut!) and I must say it was very even handed and informative, I quite enjoyed it! :oldthumbsup:
tulc(just wanted hedrick to know that!) :clap:

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It depends a great deal on what is meant by the term "liberal Christian". It seems that being a Christian and politically liberal is being excluded in the definition; though this still leaves a fairly wide variation.

In some ways it really depends on who you ask. That alone makes pinning it down pretty difficult. In fact I tend to be of the position that "conservative" and "liberal" are basically unhelpful terms outside of a political context. Often "liberal Christian" seems to just mean "not a Fundamentalist"; whether that's intended as a compliment or as an insult seems to depend--again--on who you ask.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0