Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When I have talked to liberal Christians, I am confused.
- Some seem like atheists who do not want to label themselves atheists.
- Others seem like normal Christians who do not want to label themselves normal Christians.

My confusion with liberal Christians reminds me of my confusion with neo-pagans. Do they actually believe anything that an atheist doesn't also believe? Sometimes I think the answer is "yes" and sometimes I think the answer is "no".

For example, if Jesus was an ordinary human prophet or teacher, then where are these wise sayings? The sayings preserved in the gospels are few and often underwhelming. If a person identifies as a Christian, he/she should have a better reason than the sayings of Jesus or even the letters of Paul IMO.

Last edited:

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was and is God incarnate, who was born of a virgin, performed many miracles, died by crucifixion and rose afterwards then ascended to Heaven.

I see no conflict between believing that and being liberal (for certain values of 'liberal').

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They don't believe, but they want you to think they do.
Jesus was and is God incarnate, who was born of a virgin, performed many miracles, died by crucifixion and rose afterwards then ascended to Heaven.

I see no conflict between believing that and being liberal (for certain values of 'liberal').
I'm not talking about being politically liberal and also Christian, if that is what you understood.

It seems to me that one almost universal feature of liberal Christianity is a willingness to categorize parts of the Bible as out-dated, allegorical, corrupted, etc. Additionally, there is often a willingness to change traditions to meet modern requirements.

Bishop Spong is an example of somebody that I would label a liberal Christian
John Shelby Spong - Wikipedia

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I never hear the Archbishop of Canterbury mention anything about the gospel in his public pronouncements, Plenty of politics, though.

A young man who has been attending our church for the last years and had not had any connection with the church since he was a child texted me a couple of days ago after hearing the archbishop's latest ramblings on the news about children's sexual preferences, saying "The Church of England has gone mad. don't they read the bible? Doesn't look to me they do,"

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I'm not talking about being politically liberal and also Christian, if that is what you understood.

It seems to me that one almost universal feature of liberal Christianity is a willingness to categorize parts of the Bible as out-dated, allegorical, corrupted, etc. Additionally, there is often a willingness to change traditions to meet modern requirements.

Liberal Christianity, as I understand it are more focused on things like Social Justice.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's probably most widely used to denote anyone with a different point of view from the person putting the label on that person. :)

I'd say it's someone who is non-orthodox concerning Christian doctrine as most traditional denominations would define it. As in they don't believe in the Trinity, or that Jesus was only a great teacher and not God, etc.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Liberal, aka Progressive, Christians encompass almost a wide a range of belief as Conservative Christians. The main difference seems to be that when Liberal Christians disagree with you, they do not condemn you to hell.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Those may not understand the Gospel?

I think that the scariest thing that Jesus stated in the Bible was
"I never knew you."
Apparently this was to some that thought they were good to go to Heaven.

One should at least have these three down.

Grace Alone
Faith Alone
Christ Alone

M-Bob

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I have talked to liberal Christians, I am confused.
- Some seem like atheists who do not want to label themselves atheists.
- Others seem like normal Christians who do not want to label themselves normal Christians.

My confusion with liberal Christians reminds me of my confusion with neo-pagans. Do they actually believe anything that an atheist doesn't also believe? Sometimes I think the answer is "yes" and sometimes I think the answer is "no".

For example, if Jesus was an ordinary human prophet or teacher, then where are these wise sayings? The sayings preserved in the gospels are few and often underwhelming. If a person identifies as a Christian, he/she should have a better reason than the sayings of Jesus or even the letters of Paul IMO.
You might want to label me a liberal Christian, but I think it's because very few people have put the time into studying the bible I have, I've been on disability most of my life because of a mental illness, so I've studied the bible 35 years on disability, right now I listen to the old testament 11 times a year and the new testament more.
I don't persecute gays, I don't condemn women who have had abortions, if I die now I gain a lot because god has been the center of my life for many years.

Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12
Love covers all wrongs.

And it's not about sin, everyone sins and continues to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to ask them instead of the people who disagree with them what they believe. Their answers might surprise you. :wave:
I suspect this forum might be a better place to ask: Whosoever Will, May Come - Liberal
tulc(just a suggestion) :)

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I personally shy away from calling myself "Christian" because the term has been highjacked by liberals who are not following Christ. This includes 70% of those who say they are "Christian" but believe you can get to heaven without Jesus.

I use the term believer (in Christ).

Last year, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life published a major study on religious affiliation, beliefs and practices in the United States. One of the significant findings was that 70 percent of all Americans believe that many religions can lead to eternal life, including 65 percent of all self-identifying Christians. Perhaps the most surprising finding was that 56 percent of all Evangelical Christians believe that there are many paths, other than faith in Christ, to God and eternal life (See Religion & Public Life - Pew Research Center).

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bruce Bawer in his “Stealing Jesus” --- Labels like biblical Christian and Bible-believing Christian, which many conservative Christians attach to themselves, wrongly suggest that there is something unbiblical about the faith of liberal Christians. We might speak of "exclusionists" and "inclusionists," because conservative Christians, unlike liberal Christians, tend to define the word Christian in such a way as to exclude others -- including, in most cases, a large number of their fellow conservative Christians. But it seems to me that the difference between conservative and liberal Christianity may be most succinctly summed up by the difference between two key scriptural concepts: law and love. Simply stated, conservative Christianity focuses primarily on law, doctrine, and authority; liberal Christianity focuses on love, spiritual experience, and what Baptists call the priesthood of the believer. If conservative Christians emphasize the Great Commission -- the resurrected Christ's injunction, at the end of the Gospel according to Matthew, to "go to all nations and make them my disciples" -- liberal Christians place more emphasis on the Great Commandment, which in Luke's Gospel reads as follows: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself."

* The Church of Law holds that God loves only the "saved” and that they alone are truly his children; the Church of Love holds that God loves all human beings and that all are his children.

* The Church of Law sees Satan as a real creature, a tempter and deceiver from whom true Christians are defended by their faith but by whom atheists, members of other religions, and "false Christians" are deceived, and whose instruments they can become; for the Church of Love Satan is a metaphor for the potential for evil that exists in each person, Christian or otherwise, and that must be recognized and resisted.

* The Church of Law believes that individuals should be wary of trusting their own minds and emotions, for these can be manipulated by Satan, and that questions and doubts are to be resisted as the work of the Devil; the Church of Love believes that the mind is a gift of God and that God wants us to think for ourselves, to follow our consciences, to ask questions, and to listen for his still, small voice.

* The Church of Law sees "truth" as something established in the Bible and known for sure by true Christians; the Church of Love sees truth as something known wholly only by God toward which the belief statements of religions can only attempt to point the way.

* The Church of Law reads the Bible literally and considers it the ultimate source of truth; the Church of Love insists that the Bible must be read critically, intelligently, and with an understanding of its historical and cultural contexts.

* The Church of Law encourages a suspicion of aesthetic values and a literalistic mentality that tends to thwart spiritual experience; the Church of Love encourages a recognition of mystery and beauty as attributes of the holy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Yes, you are correct. In essence, I would say a liberal Christian is someone who says the bible contains the word of God as opposed to an orthodox Christian that say the bible is the word of God. I believe every difference between the two camps can be distilled into that distinction.

You also touched on something GK Chesterton once observed, that is once a person stops believing in Christianity they don't then believe in nothing, they believe in anything. Once a person looses (or perhaps never had) the mooring in the faith they quickly assimilate anything around them. Which is why so many seem so squishy, so insubstantial when it comes to what liberal Christians actually believe.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd say my post does seem to be spot on if the OP is looking for an answer. :wave:
tulc(sometimes hates when he's right) :sigh:
As you suggested, I created a thread in that sub-forum inviting people to this thread.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I personally shy away from calling myself "Christian" because the term has been highjacked by liberals who are not following Christ. This includes 70% of those who say they are "Christian" but believe you can get to heaven without Jesus.

I use the term believer (
Those may not understand the Gospel?

I think that the scariest thing that Jesus stated in the Bible was
"I never knew you."
Apparently this was to some that thought they were good to go to Heaven.

One should at least have these three down.

Grace Alone
Faith Alone
Christ Alone

M-Bob

Way

Upvote 0