What do I do with my life?? Im soo confused..

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Right now I am a Web Design New Media student online. I just started college this year. I was putting it off for a long time. Anyway I have wanted to be a fashion designer my entire life but the industry scares me REALLY. Im terrified of it consuming & I end up changing as a person. Im also afraid of failure as Id be getting into a lot of debt for school.

I know I shouldn't allow circumstances to change me. However its getting closer to the next semester and Im worried if I should change my major to Fashion Design.

I don't know how Fashion Design or any kind of design would be helpful to anyone else. I want to be able to what I love in life & at the same time use what I love to help others. I have a wide range of interests in the arts. The last year after I graduate I have planned to work my butt off to pay off my debt.

How is a career in Fashion Design a dream from God?? How can that help others?? If I succeed financially I know it would help me & my family live good. (My mother & siblings)

Any advice??

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some of the contestants in design shows talk about designing for the large agencies. It appears that there are many jobs as supporting designers, who keep the seasonal flow of new products going.

There are of course independent designers, but it looks like the norm is more matter-of-fact jobs.

You may find a struggle in any of the arts careers, so you might as well go for the one closest to your passions. But be ready to give up some of your self-expression and reliance on creative juices. Careers in the arts require regular, profitable output -- or else they aren't careers.

There is a larger market for web design, so don't drop it if you are still interested. The software skills will be useful in whatever you do, and you will be able to bring design concepts you learn into any area of design.

On being afraid -- picture someone in their early thirties who is already the CEO of a company, elected to public office, in the Olympics, established in film careers, on world tour for their music. What makes them more capable than you of getting where they want to go?

You have the determination -- you just need the confidence.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing inherent in Fashion Design that makes this profession off limits to Christians. God needs someone to be salt and light in the fashion world - could it be you?

There is also an increasing market for design for special needs, as those baby boomers get older. Someone with taste in fashion who has arthritis, and a hard time doing buttons and clasps, doesn't suddenly change their taste in clothing to double knit polyester and garish prints.

But I think there's always a huge market for well made, reasonably priced and well designed clothing for everyone!

Stay in prayer - God will not let you walk too far down the wrong path if you are seeking His face.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Some of the contestants in design shows talk about designing for the large agencies. It appears that there are many jobs as supporting designers, who keep the seasonal flow of new products going.

There are of course independent designers, but it looks like the norm is more matter-of-fact jobs.

You may find a struggle in any of the arts careers, so you might as well go for the one closest to your passions. But be ready to give up some of your self-expression and reliance on creative juices. Careers in the arts require regular, profitable output -- or else they aren't careers.

There is a larger market for web design, so don't drop it if you are still interested. The software skills will be useful in whatever you do, and you will be able to bring design concepts you learn into any area of design.

On being afraid -- picture someone in their early thirties who is already the CEO of a company, elected to public office, in the Olympics, established in film careers, on world tour for their music. What makes them more capable than you of getting where they want to go?

You have the determination -- you just need the confidence.

Thank you for your response.

Yes i do lack confidence very much in pursuing this I think it has been a huge problem which has been the reason I put it off & put it off... However when I was coming out of high school I believed in it like there was no other way Id live my life in a career. I decided to have take some time between HS & College & try real life.. It was worth it in a sense that I need to become a stronger person inside I worked in retail that entire time it helped inspire my interest in Fashion Design but I then I started being reluctant to pursue a degree in it.. Retail is tough at times.. depending on who is in charge also it can be an unfair environment to work in.. well I think Im basing my whole future career experience on the negative experiences Ive had. Then I decided Id take web design so I could become a freelance designer and not have to work in that kind of environment again once I graduated.

I do want to study both design areas so that I have options in the future. Im thinking maybe Ill stick with Web Design for my AA and then get my BFA in Fashion Design... I still have a couple more weeks to come to a conclusion. A huge part of me is feeling this push to pursue Fashion Design & then a smaller part is saying I should stick to what Im doing right now & just be patient.

I do love them both if I have the opportunity to study Fashion I feel a stronger positive pull to do it. I get teach myself both of them really. Ive taught myself Web Design throughout the years..

I have a couple other questions...

If I continue my degree in Web Design New Media & I find an internship for a fashion label to intern for Fashion Design, can I apply for that internship? Or would I have to be getting my degree in that in order to pursue it?

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
There is nothing inherent in Fashion Design that makes this profession off limits to Christians. God needs someone to be salt and light in the fashion world - could it be you?

There is also an increasing market for design for special needs, as those baby boomers get older. Someone with taste in fashion who has arthritis, and a hard time doing buttons and clasps, doesn't suddenly change their taste in clothing to double knit polyester and garish prints.

But I think there's always a huge market for well made, reasonably priced and well designed clothing for everyone!

Stay in prayer - God will not let you walk too far down the wrong path if you are seeking His face.

Thank you...

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian

Wow! Thanks so much!

I can give you a million excuses as to why everyone else would succeed over me. I dont know why I am very very sensitive when it comes to this one part of my life. Ive dreamt big for this career since I was young & I think my biggest fear is even trying it and then failing at it.

Upvote 0