What do Christians think of Meditation, not Hinduism, Meditation to find inner peace?

What do Christians think of Meditation, not Hinduism, Meditation to find inner peace?

• Meditation is of the Devil.

• Stay away from meditation, it could lead you astray.

• Meditation does not give you peace and help you calm your mind.

• I don't know what to think of meditation.

• Meditation might work.

• Sure meditation seems like a good technique with good benefits.

• Sign me up, I like the idea of meditating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

david14433

I am a seeker of truth and reality.
Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
One more thing DaneaFL. Some forms of meditation encourage one to open, balance, awaken invigorate the senses and feelings. This is done firstly by relaxing of course. The idea is that over time you get in tune with more and more subtle feelings while letting go of course feelings. While the subtle feelings heal the body and mind more. Anyway I thought I would add that.

Upvote 0

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hope you understand meditation better now.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing information about your brand of meditation. It's different from the types of meditation I was familiar with.

It seems like this type of meditation is more pure, without all the superstitious woowoo.

As long as you keep practicing it with the real-world effects in mind then I don't see any problem in it. I think there's sufficient evidence to show that proper meditation can have several beneficial effects on the body; and if you are actively aware of the negative effects like hallucinations then I think it's harmless.

However, I think the whole process can be explained chemically and biologically. So if you main goal in meditation is just to "feel good" well, I say this facetiously, but there is a pill for that!

If your goal in meditation is to reorganize your thoughts, just go to bed. Your body does that by itself in REM sleep!

If your goal in meditation is to "see reality better" well, go get some prescription lenses! :p

The point I'm trying to make with these silly examples is that I think there might be more scientifically direct ways to reach the goals that you are trying to reach with meditation.

However, if it can be shown that meditation is the fastest, easiest, safest way to reach certain goals, then go ahead! But I'm just not convinced yet that this is the case.

Upvote 0

david14433

I am a seeker of truth and reality.
Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The point I'm trying to make with these silly examples is that I think there might be more scientifically direct ways to reach the goals that you are trying to reach with meditation.

However, if it can be shown that meditation is the fastest, easiest, safest way to reach certain goals, then go ahead! But I'm just not convinced yet that this is the case.

IMHO meditation has benefits that no other modalities have thus far. Comparing it to other things is like comparing apples and oranges. Or worse off apples and junk food. It just takes a lot of time to really get the benefits.

Look it's fine that you don't see the benefits of meditation yet. But I hope I raised some awareness about it.

Peace and keep on seeking truth wherever that leads you.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing information ab
However, I think the whole process can be explained chemically and biologically. So if you main goal in meditation is just to "feel good" well, I say this facetiously, but there is a pill for that! .

when you meditate certain naturally occurring chemicals in your body are released

Quote off net I found:

More recent studies have looked at the neurochemistry of meditation. Meditation has been shown to increase serotonin production. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter and neuropeptide that influences mood and behavior in many ways. Its importance is demonstrated by the recent explosion in use of fluvoxamine, a " selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor" like Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloftsuch, for treating depression-related emotional disorders. Low levels of serotonin have been linked to a variety of disorders. For example, conditions associated with low serotonin levels include: depression, obesity, insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, migraine headaches, premenstrual syndrome, and fibromyalgia.

I also read it helps release naturally occurring DMT. That is the trippy spiritual chemical.

Unlike synthetically introduced drugs, natural methods of relaxation or transcendent states are achieved with the bodies natural correct balance of chemical release. Introduced ones might mess up the balance.

Upvote 0