What do Christians think of Meditation, not Hinduism, Meditation to find inner peace?

What do Christians think of Meditation, not Hinduism, Meditation to find inner peace?

• Meditation is of the Devil.

• Stay away from meditation, it could lead you astray.

• Meditation does not give you peace and help you calm your mind.

• I don't know what to think of meditation.

• Meditation might work.

• Sure meditation seems like a good technique with good benefits.

• Sign me up, I like the idea of meditating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think meditation is actually required for religion especially when fasting is involved.

The combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger will play all kinds of tricks on your brain allowing you to experience all kinds of hallucination.

I think this is why intense prayer and fasting are major parts of most religions... These allowed the followers of these faiths to experience powerful religious imagery which would certainty reinforce the faith of a superstitious person.

Several studies have been done where they took brain scans of people who reported experiencing a religious hallucination and they can see that very specific parts of their brains were being activated during these hallucinations.

Upvote 0

david14433

I am a seeker of truth and reality.
Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think meditation is actually required for religion especially when fasting is involved.

The combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger will play all kinds of tricks on your brain allowing you to experience all kinds of hallucination.

I think this is why intense prayer and fasting are major parts of most religions... These allowed the followers of these faiths to experience powerful religious imagery which would certainty reinforce the faith of a superstitious person.

Several studies have been done where they took brain scans of people who reported experiencing a religious hallucination and they can see that very specific parts of their brains were being activated during these hallucinations.

I know what you are talking about DaneaFL but the effects of meditation itself versus "combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger" are much different. I am talking about getting in touch with "subjective reality" or just "mind" through meditation. To see reality the way it really is, to see the mind the way it is in it's natural state when clam. You don't impose your will and you don't hallucinate while meditating deeply. And even if you do have a vision or whatever they say your suppose to ignore them. While all those other modalities will cause psychedelics to be released thus giving hallucinations as you say. This is not a part of many religious traditions that use meditation as a tool to get in touch reality. I have no doubt that some people from different religions did hallucinate and have OBE's while doing the things you mention. But I am not talking about "combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger".

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Most people don't know that early Christians use to meditate. A few of these meditations are called "centering prayer" and the more general meditation "contemplative prayer". But the Roman Catholics came along and said no this is the only way to seek God and believe. Thus to this day Christians are still in the dark as to the real power of meditation.

Peace.

The real power of meditation in my experience is opening up to God within the heart.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying it's self serving to want peace and clam. This is absurd. This is a fundamental human right. What kind of person or God would not want that for everyone. What the heck are you talking about?

Peace.

It is self-serving to seek an experience as an end in itself. "Peace" is something that Christ gives to us and which He desires for us, but we do not get peace by seeking it through some means other than having Christ live through us.

You don't get it. In meditation you don't think. Or you slowly try to move away from thinking. Not that thinking is bad. There is a time and a place for it. Just not all of the time. In contemplation meditation you can certainly think. But ultimately you want to clam and tame the mind first.

If you don't think, then you're not meditating. You can call it anything you like, but it's not meditation if you are not dwelling on something. It may be something, but it's not meditation.

I agree we must not focus on our own passions and desires. We don't have conflict there. In meditation you don't focus on your passions and selflessness. You need to read more about what meditation is before you start ridiculing it like this. You focus on what really is here in the now. Which you need to humble yourself to do this. It's not easy. The mind needs to be tamed and by meditating, you tame the mind in meditation in ways being a Christian or Muslim will never give you.

We are meditating on things all throughout the day. We can choose the object of our meditation.

Christ has called me to crucify my entire self: my mind, my will, my emotions, etc. I will agree that whatever it is that you are calling "meditation" will not allow me to attain Christ, who said "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me."

If we are seeking "nothing", that is exactly what we will get. If we are seeking "peace", we will not find it. If we are seeking Christ, we will find Him and the peace that only comes through Him.

What are you talking about. Have you learned anything about what meditation is. You don't put anything into your heart or mind. No filth goes into the heart while meditating, you just are as you are. Why don't you understand what I am saying meditation is and what it's not? If anything, it's more about letting go of inner filth and cleaning your inner self. If one is to clean the inner parts of the mind, then one must empty out first, and then one can add nice and beautiful things as needed.

You misunderstood me. You asked me what I meant by dwelling on things that are spiritually detrimental to us, and I answered you by explaining what I meant. Again, meditation goes on all day long, as meditation requires an object, and we are thinking about things all day long. Since we are meditating all day long, meditate on something "good", as St Paul teaches us.

You act as if the only way to find clam and peace is through Jesus. Sorry but that is not the case. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

On that you and I fundamentally disagree. And since we disagree on that pivotal point, any further discussion on this matter will prove fruitless.

I hope you understand what meditation is now. I don't want to hear you talking about passions, filth, and desires and whatever else you want to conjure up, since meditation is none of those things.

Well, it's a public forum, and people say a lot of things whether we want to hear them or not. Hopefully you understand that the thing that you are calling "meditation" is not meditation, as meditation requires an object. One can only meditate on something.

One more thing knee-v, in meditation your don't seek or desire peace and clam but they naturally arise in you as a positive side effect of just being naturally clam and peaceful in your meditation. So it's not self-serving. It can't be. It's impossible. If anything it's just neutral. As a matter of fact they say that when positive or negative feelings arise in ones mind and body it's best to be just neutral. Thus one trains the mind to see life and reality the way they are and not trained. So in this respect it's neutral more than anything.

Neutrality is still not self-emptying; it is still not Love, which is inherently outward-seeking. Neutrality is a form of hatred and self-love.

The ultimate expression of what mankind is supposed to be like is summed up when God hung on the cross, voluntarily letting Himself be murdered by the hands of men. That is to be our pursuit, and any other pursuit "misses the mark". Christ did not seek neutrality; He constantly sought to pour Himself out and participate in the Life of the Father, and to pave the way for us to share in His life as well.

But again, I understand that you and I disagree on the centrality of Christ in the life of mankind. Take care, my friend.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Well, it's a public forum, and people say a lot of things whether we want to hear them or not. Hopefully you understand that the thing that you are calling "meditation" is not meditation, as meditation requires an object. One can only meditate on something.

Somewhere Zen Buddhists are lauuuuuuuuuuuughing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can definatley meditate on Godly things.

Psalm 119:99
I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes
Psalm 119:98-100 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)

My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises
Psalm 119:147-149 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 143:5
I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done
Psalm 143:4-6 (in Context) Psalm 143 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations[/font]
Psalm 145:5
They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works

Upvote 0

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You can definatley meditate on Godly things.

Psalm 119:99
I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes
Psalm 119:98-100 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)

My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises
Psalm 119:147-149 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 143:5
I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done
Psalm 143:4-6 (in Context) Psalm 143 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations[/font]
Psalm 145:5
They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works

That is a good start dougangel. Just let the words and meaning sink in deep. And the best way to do that is by letting them go into inner silence and giving it up into the hands of God. So you can say a scripture and and let it go deep into your being by releasing it into inner silence the best way you can. I am sure there is a specific ways of doing it. It really does work if you do it right. God really is deep inside of us.

Upvote 0

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know what you are talking about DaneaFL but the effects of meditation itself versus "combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger" are much different. I am talking about getting in touch with "subjective reality" or just "mind" through meditation. To see reality the way it really is, to see the mind the way it is in it's natural state when clam. You don't impose your will and you don't hallucinate while meditating deeply. And even if you do have a vision or whatever they say your suppose to ignore them. While all those other modalities will cause psychedelics to be released thus giving hallucinations as you say. This is not a part of many religious traditions that use meditation as a tool to get in touch reality. I have no doubt that some people from different religions did hallucinate and have OBE's while doing the things you mention. But I am not talking about "combination of sensory deprivation, thrist, and hunger".

Peace.

Well I'm no neuroscientist and I don't know all the mechanics that go into meditation but it seems to me that, regardless how they prepare, anyone who just sits there in one place with their eyes closed tuning out all sensory input is going to be very vulnerable to suggestive imagery especially if the purpose of it is religious.

Religious people all the time claim to have seen God, heaven, their animal spirit, or ghosts while they meditated. Your brain is usually busy analyzing sensory input but when you deprive it of that, it starts activating other parts of the brain which could be why people see this type of imagery.

What part of the brain increases in activity during meditation, well surprise, surprise it's the frontal lobe! -the part of the brain containing the most dopamine-sensitive neurons! So no wonder people feel calm and content after a nice long meditation session. lol

Neurotheology: This Is Your Brain On Religion : NPR

Frontal lobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While mediation might be beneficial to the extent that it makes you feel good, I don't know about the claims that it allows you to get in touch with "subjective reality" or "mind". That's sounds kind like new-age woowoo to me. :p

The only way we can experience reality is through our senses and since meditation cuts off our senses how could it be helping us experience "true reality" or whatever?

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Am about to meditate now, I do it as often as I can. I dont get a chance to as much as i would like to. I dont do it entirely in an eastern way. I taught myself that long periods of quiet with a body awareness while concentrating on god in prayer is really good for you. I find better pathways of communication with God in those times. Visions and things like a word from the lord occur more frequently in deeper meditation.

Its healthier than alcohol for stress relief.

How I usually do it is like this.

Read my bible and think about it.

lay still in bed and just be aware of feelings in my body while sometimes deeply breathing.

I do yo use some techniques I heard on a podcast that help enter a super relaxed state.

There I hope to talk to god better over say 40 min.

There is nothing wrong with it at all and its a good prayer tool if used that way. You sure can see some cool things. It hasn't hurt me in fact it strengthens my walk and makes me more relaxed and even tempered.

I found it by accident and the lord showed me it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think meditation is vital to any belief system. And I think Christianity has in many ways lost this vital component and instead it has become a bit of a scare-word in some circles. Modern evangelism seems so bent on conversion that they offer very few, if any, concrete METHODS for people to find peace, contentment and love in God. I find it silly that they simply say, "pray this prayer and you're good" because that doesn't work. Christianity is a lifestyle and meditation is part of the lifestyle. Its not a quick-fix.

I wouldn't blame Christianity for our society's lack of meditation, its more of a problem with our culture as well. We often view meditation as a "waste of time" because you're not "DOING" anything. And "lack of doing" is equated with "worthlessness".

There's a great site I use for contemplative meditation called Sacred Space and it incorporates some aspects of silent meditation as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is self-serving to seek an experience as an end in itself. "Peace" is something that Christ gives to us and which He desires for us, but we do not get peace by seeking it through some means other than having Christ live through us.

OK so you don't know of the benefits of meditation. There is more than one way to skin a cat in this field. We have some very positive studies on the benefits of meditation.

If you don't think, then you're not meditating. You can call it anything you like, but it's not meditation if you are not dwelling on something. It may be something, but it's not meditation.

This proves you don't know what meditation is, or can me. I will admit that when we first start learning to meditate we often do think since the mind has not been tamed yet. But over time silence, clam, and peace arises and the mind stops thinking. The mind becomes like a very still pond that is totally free of disturbance.

We are meditating on things all throughout the day. We can choose the object of our meditation.

This is not the case. It's the way you do it that causes inner peace to arise. Otherwise there is no difference between a meditator and a non-meditator.

Christ has called me to crucify my entire self: my mind, my will, my emotions, etc. I will agree that whatever it is that you are calling "meditation" will not allow me to attain Christ, who said "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me."

You will never truly in your heart crucify yourself to find God unless you humbly become like a child through meditation. You must cast off your desires which bind you.

IMHO God and Christ are already in our fundamental inner essence. So God is with all of us. But it's only those to truly crucify their desires that find their inner source. As long as you have desire you are bound in some way.

IMHO the Christians don't have the real keys to the kingdom of heaven. Because only the disciples were given those keys and they never passed them down to us. Because if they did then all Christians would be meditating.

If we are seeking "nothing", that is exactly what we will get. If we are seeking "peace", we will not find it. If we are seeking Christ, we will find Him and the peace that only comes through Him.

I don't think I ever said that you should focus on "nothing". But if I did say that, what I meant is that the "nothing" means no disturbance, meaning real clam and peace. I did say you are suppose to focus on the present moment of reality. Of what is happening NOW. So no, in meditation you do seek something, at least at first. Eventually you merge with your source and become like a drop of water in an ocean. This is truly losing your life in order to find it. This is the true pearl of great price.

You misunderstood me. You asked me what I meant by dwelling on things that are spiritually detrimental to us, and I answered you by explaining what I meant. Again, meditation goes on all day long, as meditation requires an object, and we are thinking about things all day long. Since we are meditating all day long, meditate on something "good", as St Paul teaches us.

Yes you are right, in mediation you do need an object at first. Weather it's the name Jesus, or a prayer, or your breath. But eventually all objects cease and you find your inner core, and essence, which must be where God dwells. There is no way around it. God has to exit at our core. He sustains the universe, and us, since he is omnipresent.

On that you and I fundamentally disagree. And since we disagree on that pivotal point, any further discussion on this matter will prove fruitless.

So in other words you are saying that you don't believe there are peaceful calming benefits to meditation. I don't know how much you have researched this subject but if you have any discernment it would not take much to see it if you research it.

Neutrality is still not self-emptying; it is still not Love, which is inherently outward-seeking. Neutrality is a form of hatred and self-love.

Depends on what part of self you are talking about. Meditation does empty or dissolve your ego. But it does not empty the core essence of our being. The idea is that in meditation you cast away inner desires which can bind us. You keep on letting go more and more then eventually all you are left with is your core essence which is who you are as if your a baby. And if you reach it you are clean of all desires. Which makes you innocent. You become one with your source, and your source you.

The ultimate expression of what mankind is supposed to be like is summed up when God hung on the cross, voluntarily letting Himself be murdered by the hands of men. That is to be our pursuit, and any other pursuit "misses the mark". Christ did not seek neutrality; He constantly sought to pour Himself out and participate in the Life of the Father, and to pave the way for us to share in His life as well.

But again, I understand that you and I disagree on the centrality of Christ in the life of mankind. Take care, my friend.

IMHO Christ's message was messed up by the Roman Catholic Church and the illiteracy back then. There are so many questions left unanswered that I can't believe the mainstream Christian version of Christ's message with all the other stuff I have learned about reality. There were many other versions of what to believe at the time before the inquisition. Including the Gnostic gospels, Essenes gospels, kabbalah, Hasidic Judaism and more. We were given only what the Catholic church thought was the right interpretation and the books they decided to go into the bible. All opposition was murdered and books destroyed that they interpreted as heresy. Did not Christ teach in parables. Christ hardly ever spoke plainly and then to say later then this is what he meant is like sticking your finger in the eyes of God.

IMHO Christ's crucifiction is suppose to be an example of the cross we are suppose to pick up in meditation daily. This is the true daily bread that comes down from heaven. But the devil had his way and in the end the message was watered down and distorted to the point it was not recognizable in any real meaningful way.

Now does this mean that I should go to hell forever for this major technicality on God's part supposedly? All the other gospels I mentioned had meditation in them. And they took on a more esoteric meaning to scripture.

Peace to you, and keep on seeking.

Upvote 0

KimberlyAA

Jul 16, 2012
Caribbean
✟1,392.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I love meditation. When I used to go to a Roman Catholic high school, the entire school would meditate once a week on a morning. We would all sit on the floor, cross-legged, with our hands resting lightly on our knees and clear our minds for 20 minutes. The VP would play calming music sometimes with Chinese gongs in between. We used to have to pick a word to say over and over in our minds so that it would help us focus. I picked "Maranatha" but sometimes I got bored of saying the word over and over and I'd just end up talking to God in my mind. Sometimes when you really get into it, you feel like you're in a vertical sleep. It's a nice peaceful feeling.

Upvote 0

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I love meditation. When I used to go to a Roman Catholic high school, the entire school would meditate once a week on a morning. We would all sit on the floor, cross-legged, with our hands resting lightly on our knees and clear our minds for 20 minutes. The VP would play calming music sometimes with Chinese gongs in between. We used to have to pick a word to say over and over in our minds so that it would help us focus. I picked "Maranatha" but sometimes I got bored of saying the word over and over and I'd just end up talking to God in my mind. Sometimes when you really get into it, you feel like you're in a vertical sleep. It's a nice peaceful feeling.

Wow thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

david14433

Jan 22, 2007
✟7,892.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm no neuroscientist and I don't know all the mechanics that go into meditation but it seems to me that, regardless how they prepare, anyone who just sits there in one place with their eyes closed tuning out all sensory input is going to be very vulnerable to suggestive imagery especially if the purpose of it is religious.

I am not talking about that kind of meditation. I do know that if you go into complete darkness for a while you will start hallucinating. This is not what I am talking about. Me and many other meditators meditate with our eyes slightly open while meditating in 20-30 minute intervals throughout the day. Then as your mind becomes more and more aware without getting dull or drowsy then you can meditate at longer and longer intervals.

Religious people all the time claim to have seen God, heaven, their animal spirit, or ghosts while they meditated. Your brain is usually busy analyzing sensory input but when you deprive it of that, it starts activating other parts of the brain which could be why people see this type of imagery.

The meditation I am talking about does not deprive the mind of anything. I am sure that advanced meditators do get visions form time to time. But they say you are not to focus on them to much just notice them and acknowledge it for what it is. Though there maybe some psychological benefits to understanding a vision in meditation but ultimately they are temporary and even have illusionary qualities.

What part of the brain increases in activity during meditation, well surprise, surprise it's the frontal lobe! -the part of the brain containing the most dopamine-sensitive neurons! So no wonder people feel calm and content after a nice long meditation session. lol

Neurotheology: This Is Your Brain On Religion : NPR

Frontal lobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well I have no doubt that there is a biology and a science to enlightenment and meditation. In fact I am sure one day almost all of us will all be able to get the benefits of being enlightened due to technology. I believe the MRI's fMRI's really show what is going on in the mind, and all that stuff. So we have no conflicts here. There have been more and more studies coming out on the benefits of meditation through the study of advanced meditators. As well as meditation in schools and prisons, all of which have found to be of great value. There is some obvious good benefits if one looks at these studies. There are real effects. And we can learn something I think by talking to these people about what the subjective effects are.

While mediation might be beneficial to the extent that it makes you feel good, I don't know about the claims that it allows you to get in touch with "subjective reality" or "mind". That's sounds kind like new-age woowoo to me.

I have never read a new age book, so I don't know. It was just a phase I made to help explain the deeper states of awareness and mind that are available to those that put in the time. I could have just as easily used the term "subjective experience" since meditation makes what happens in the mind much more apparent since you are focused on the self the thoughts and the mind and the body.

The only way we can experience reality is through our senses and since meditation cuts off our senses how could it be helping us experience "true reality" or whatever?

No, you still don't understand what true meditation is. The meditation you are talking about will not get at the core of the benefits of meditation. The meditation I am talking about cuts the BS in order to see reality the way it is. In the meditations I and many others do it's to get in touch with what is happening right now in a very aware state. We strive to be aware of our senses as they are in a wide awake mode. We can't cut off the senses. This is not the goal we look for. When I say for instance that you crucify your desires to find inner peace. I don't mean fighting your desires. That would not be healthy at all. But in meditation you can acknowledge your desires and try to let it go and release it. Why release it and let it go? Is this not cutting off your senses? No it's only like a piece of clothing. If you take it off you will find something even more revealing underneath. Something even more pure. Something that is at the heart of the desire itself, which is what you really want. Your senses become alive and awaken when you meditate a lot. Obviously the more advanced you are the more you are able to release and let go of desires and tensions and hurts and pains. And when you release these hurts, desires, and stuff, you gain more and more inner peace, stability, clam, silence and all the positive benefits of meditation, which are many.

I tell you what, anyone that has meditated 5,000 - 20,000 hours or more is bound to have radically changed their psychology. And it seems they have done it in a good way to put it lightly.

I hope you understand meditation better now.

Peace to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0