Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Specifically, I'm curious about what you think the reasons are that an atheist doesn't believe in god? I've been on the forum here for quite some time...and I frequently come across those who hold all sorts of beliefs about why atheists don't believe in god. By far, the rarest belief I've seen is that atheists genuinely don't believe for a lack of evidence...which is surprising since that's by far the most common explanation I've seen atheists give for their lack of a god-belief.

I've seen claims that atheists are in denial of god because they don't want some "authority figure" over them. Similarly, I've seen the desire to sin proposed as a reason. I've also seen other emotional reasons put forth...like perhaps the atheist had a particularly bad experience with a christian. Another is that the atheist was somehow traumatized by life at some point and lost their faith.

I understand that a lot of these beliefs exist because there are times when a christian may struggle with their faith...and end up in some way resenting or being angry with their god. While this may be the closest your average christian ever gets to being an atheist....it is not atheism for the simple fact that you cannot genuinely be angry/disappointed/or otherwise upset with something that you don't believe exists. Nevertheless, it's all that many christians can imagine about lacking a belief in a god...so that experience gets wrongfully projected onto the atheist.

So, as a simple matter of curiosity...I'd like to hear why you (as a believer) think an atheist doesn't believe in god. I'd also like to hear why you hold this belief about atheists (if you feel like using some introspection).

I understand as a topic it may feel a bit uncomfortable to admit to what you genuinely believe...so I'd like to assure you that I won't be passing any judgement on you for your opinions/beliefs. While I can't assure you that no other atheists will do the same...in the interest of mutual understanding...I do hope you'll be as honest as possible, even if your opinion may seem insulting.

Any thoughts?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why don't atheists believe? There are many reasons such as being raised by atheist parents and indoctrinated since childhood. Extreme suffering of injustice such as severe physical handicap and concluding that a just God would not allow it. Observation of cruelty or chaos in nature. Consideration of belief in the supernatural in general as being a sure sign of lack of education or ignorance. Refusal to face academic criticism. Being raised by irrational religious fanatics who made childhood a miserable experience. etcetera.

BTW
Some Christians believe that atheists have been blinded by Satan and will lose out on life eternal by either being destroyed during Armageddon or else dying as unbelievers if they persist.

I personally believe that God doesn't follow inflexible rules but that he judges each atheist individually and takes all relevant factors into full consideration before rendering judgment. Such a flexible approach is illustrated by the words of Jesus on the crucifix.
Luke 23:34
New International Version
Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
IMO the biggest reason is the so-called "problem of evil". I also think each of the things you mentioned could be actual reasons for various atheists at various times in their lives.
I've seen claims that atheists are in denial of god because they don't want some "authority figure" over them. Similarly, I've seen the desire to sin proposed as a reason.

I've seen that claim from Aldous Huxley. :) He and his crowd wanted to get rid of God so they could have more sex. I'll get the quote if you want or you can Google it. Is that one man's opinion about him and his friends, or does it represent the thought of many?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Specifically, I'm curious about what you think the reasons are that an atheist doesn't believe in god? I've been on the forum here for quite some time...and I frequently come across those who hold all sorts of beliefs about why atheists don't believe in god. By far, the rarest belief I've seen is that atheists genuinely don't believe for a lack of evidence...which is surprising since that's by far the most common explanation I've seen atheists give for their lack of a god-belief.

I've seen claims that atheists are in denial of god because they don't want some "authority figure" over them. Similarly, I've seen the desire to sin proposed as a reason. I've also seen other emotional reasons put forth...like perhaps the atheist had a particularly bad experience with a christian. Another is that the atheist was somehow traumatized by life at some point and lost their faith.

I understand that a lot of these beliefs exist because there are times when a christian may struggle with their faith...and end up in some way resenting or being angry with their god. While this may be the closest your average christian ever gets to being an atheist....it is not atheism for the simple fact that you cannot genuinely be angry/disappointed/or otherwise upset with something that you don't believe exists. Nevertheless, it's all that many christians can imagine about lacking a belief in a god...so that experience gets wrongfully projected onto the atheist.

So, as a simple matter of curiosity...I'd like to hear why you (as a believer) think an atheist doesn't believe in god. I'd also like to hear why you hold this belief about atheists (if you feel like using some introspection).

I understand as a topic it may feel a bit uncomfortable to admit to what you genuinely believe...so I'd like to assure you that I won't be passing any judgement on you for your opinions/beliefs. While I can't assure you that no other atheists will do the same...in the interest of mutual understanding...I do hope you'll be as honest as possible, even if your opinion may seem insulting.

Any thoughts?
I don't believe that atheists exist.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They haven't been given a new heart from God (Holy Spirit).
Thus, God at least at this time is not their Father and their father is the devil.
We pray for their Salvation.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Christians believe that atheists have been blinded by Satan and will lose out on life eternal by either being destroyed during Armageddon or else dying as unbelievers if they persist.

I personally believe that God doesn't follow inflexible rules but that he judges each atheist individually and takes all relevant factors into full consideration before rendering judgment. Such a flexible approach is illustrated by the words of Jesus on the crucifix.
John 3:3 -
English Standard Version
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Upvote 0

SnowLucario

May 15, 2017
New England
✟7,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Any thoughts?

Well, I used to be a Christian, and I can tell you what I thought when I was a Christian.

Mainly, I felt bad for them. I felt that they were missing out on eternal life, or believing in it. How could they possibly be happy, not believing in an afterlife?

Now, of course, I no longer see it that way.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John 3:3 -
English Standard Version
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
True, but that doesn't mean that he destroys a person who hasn't had a fair chance to get to learn about salvation and is therefore an atheist-does it?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I used to be a Christian, and I can tell you what I thought when I was a Christian.

Mainly, I felt bad for them. I felt that they were missing out on eternal life, or believing in it. How could they possibly be happy, not believing in an afterlife?

Now, of course, I no longer see it that way.

Ones that are truly Born Again Christians do not leave the faith probably a false conversion.
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
IMO the biggest reason is the so-called "problem of evil". I also think each of the things you mentioned could be actual reasons for various atheists at various times in their lives.

I've seen that claim from the famous atheist intellectual Mencken. :) He and his crowd wanted to get rid of God so they could have more sex. I'll get the quote if you want or you can Google it. Is that one man's opinion about him and his friends, or does it represent the thought of many?

H.L. Mencken? He was a satirist...so if you can find the quote, I'd also want to see the context.

It's one man's opinion regardless. I know we have many similar beliefs as atheists, but we don't really believe things merely because other atheists do.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why don't atheists believe? There are many reasons such as being raised by atheist parents and indoctrinated since childhood. Extreme suffering of injustice such as severe physical handicap and concluding that a just God would not allow it. Observation of cruelty or chaos in nature. Consideration of belief in the supernatural in general as being a sure sign of lack of education or ignorance. Refusal to face academic criticism.

Not sure what you're saying...lack of education or ignorance?

Being raised by irrational religious fanatics who made childhood a miserable experience. etcetera.

BTW

Satan huh? I don't hear that one too often.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I've seen that claim from the famous atheist intellectual Mencken. :) He and his crowd wanted to get rid of God so they could have more sex. I'll get the quote if you want or you can Google it. Is that one man's opinion about him and his friends, or does it represent the thought of many?

Then why get rid of God instead of following one that demands or encourages sex? There have been plenty such gods historically speaking.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what you're saying...lack of education or ignorance?

Satan huh? I don't hear that one too often.

Satan being responsible for erroneous beliefs concept is in the NT:

2 Cor 4:
Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

Lack of formal education such as grade school or high school.
Ignorance such as when a person is unfamiliar with the nuances of a concept

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.