What Do Christians Have To Do To Get Ready For 2nd Coming of Jesus?

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been trying to find out what happens at the second coming of Jesus. This is the Christian end of the world as prophecized. The Bible tells us to be ready:

"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Matthew 24:44

We're not going to know when Jesus is coming again nor know if it will be in our lifetimes. If we pass before then, then I assume we will be sleeping. I think we will be ready, but it does not seem we can do much more to be prepared or "ready."

My question is what do we have to do to be ready now or while we are living? Should we just be prepared in the back of our minds? I think the Bible tells us not to predict the end of the world since no one will know but God the Father only:

"“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." Matthew 24:36

I did watch one of the more popular videos on youtube. It was very scary, but if we are not on Earth to experience it, then it's still scary to watch. What if you see friends, relatives, or people you know and like?

Maybe we just have to expect to see the worst.

The second thing is that mythology follows what happens in the Bible. For example, we had flood myths throughout the world after Noah's Flood. With the second coming of Jesus, there won't be any after on this Earth.

I used to think that we would be able to become multi-planetary, but now don't think this will happen. I don't think the Bible says anything about it, but we will remain Earthbound and the second coming will take place.

What I did notice was in terms of mythology, we have people who will experience their death over and over again. This is supposed to be one form of hell. What if that includes the second coming of Christ? That would be horrendous if it is like the video above. I've experience the Loma Prieta earthquake and would not want to experience such again.

Thus, what can Christians do to get ready for the second coming of Jesus?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Be becoming crucified. The GOOD NEWS. Christ Crucified. Be born again, be abiding in Him.

"and the life that I now live I live by faith in the son of God , who loved me and gave Himself for me"

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Matthew 24:44
So also, do not wait as if for a better day >>>
biblehub.com › mark

Mark 8:34 Then Jesus called the crowd to Him along with His ...

Summoning the crowd along with His disciples, He said to them, "If anyone wants to be My follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me.
www.biblegateway.com › verse

/Mark 8:34 - Bible Gateway

Calling the crowd along with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone wants to follow ... He said, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must say no to themselves.
www.esv.org › Matthew+10:38

Matthew 10:38; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23; Luke 14 ...

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let himdeny himself ... does notbear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people did not wait for the second coming to try to find God's will for them. Since the Holy Spirit visited believers during Pentecost over 2000 years ago, people have sought God's guidance. The Holy Spirit is not far from those who believe.

Geologists can not confirm Noah's flood. Astronomers can confirm stars exploded or became red giants. This world will pass away. Most people died of heart failure, strokes, or cancer. They had not seen Christ descending from heaven. From the Gospel of John I read about a day of resurrection. Jesus said, "Many are called, few are chosen." I remember the story of the Good Samaritan. He was being a good neighbor to try to gain favor with God. Rescuing others may be a way to prepare for Christ's coming.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Fast and pray.

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. Luke 21:36

Die to self. Walk righteously.

“Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

“It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

“It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. Remember Lot’s wife! Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. Luke 17:26-33

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Be becoming crucified. The GOOD NEWS. Christ Crucified. Be born again, be abiding in Him.

"and the life that I now live I live by faith in the son of God , who loved me and gave Himself for me"

I understand, but isn't that for our basic belief? Thus, all we have to do to be ready is believe in Jesus?

Anyway, I did find that we may not be necessarily sleeping in Hades or the land of the dead. Does it mean to be conscious that the day is coming if we pass on before the second coming?

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So also, do not wait as if for a better day >>>
biblehub.com › mark

Mark 8:34 Then Jesus called the crowd to Him along with His ...

Summoning the crowd along with His disciples, He said to them, "If anyone wants to be My follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me.
www.biblegateway.com › verse

/Mark 8:34 - Bible Gateway

Calling the crowd along with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone wants to follow ... He said, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must say no to themselves.
www.esv.org › Matthew+10:38

Matthew 10:38; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23; Luke 14 ...

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let himdeny himself ... does notbear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Yes, to follow Jesus is of utmost importance, especially after we die. He will lead us to the proper place, but to beware of Satan as he is a sly masquerader of the light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I understand, but isn't that for our basic belief?
Certainly ! (and rare it is)
Thus, all we have to do to be ready is believe in Jesus?
Even the DEMONS BELIEVE, and shudder in terrrrrror for they KNOW their JUDGMENT /destruction/ is fast approaching. Mankind tried to HIDE from Jesus when He returns - men are terrified if they are like most men unsaved.
Does it mean to be conscious that the day is coming if we pass on before the second coming?
No.
That's a whole different topic, re e.w.bullinger : The Rich Man and Lazarus pdf study free online.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Examine ourselves daily
to be sure we are in Christ
trusting in Him alone
repenting often of our sins
which are many
and should never let us feel comfortable.
What should come to mind often
please have mercy on me a sinner.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, to follow Jesus is of utmost importance, especially after we die. He will lead us to the proper place, but to beware of Satan as he is a sly masquerader of the light.
Those who do not walk in the light today, do not in the life to come. They are lost forever. There is absolutely no chance after dying to become a follow of Jesus, no chance to repent nor to be saved.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember the story of the Good Samaritan. He was being a good neighbor to try to gain favor with God. Rescuing others may be a way to prepare for Christ's coming.

Samaritan means the lowest of the low. He would be a homeless person today. He was the only one who stopped and helped. I think it means to try and be like this person as we think we are above this level. These acts help as we are rewarded when we get to heaven. It's the right and Christian thing to do.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fast and pray.

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. Luke 21:36

Die to self. Walk righteously.

“Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

“It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

“It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. Remember Lot’s wife! Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. Luke 17:26-33

Wow. I do fast at times now, especially during the Christian holidays. And try to pray daily and offer something in money. I give this to the church when I visit next or for service.

The second is easier said than done. We all have pride and ego and are tempted.

Yes, what you said is righteous in order to get ready. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Samaritan means the lowest of the low. He would be a homeless person today. He was the only one who stopped and helped. I think it means to try and be like this person as we think we are above this level. These acts help as we are rewarded when we get to heaven. It's the right and Christian thing to do.
People who do good works in God's name might receive a reward in this world. Jesus was praying for his followers more than those who opposed him.

Upvote 0

Kevinw05

Kevin White
Oct 28, 2019
Birmingham, AL
✟4,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People who do good works in God's name might receive a reward in this world. Jesus was praying for his followers more than those who opposed him.
Yeah, God just answered one of my prayers today by allowing me to get to know Drew Barrymore and she wants to date. If it is possible for you, just love God with all your heart. If you don't or can't then pray that he will let you. God has very special things planned for them that love him as I do. So do it for his and your sake

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I do fast at times now, especially during the Christian holidays. And try to pray daily and offer something in money. I give this to the church when I visit next or for service.

The second is easier said than done. We all have pride and ego and are tempted.

Yes, what you said is righteous in order to get ready. Thank you.

Its good then that you fast and pray. Yes, the dying to self and walking in righteousness part is a work in progress for all of us. There are still some areas about me that I need to overcome. Just keep pressing in to the Lord and never shrink back. God Bless.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To all who was interested in this thread, I found this youtube and while it's 38 mins, it's well worth a watch. You do not have to pay anyone for this free teaching. If it make sense to you, if it feels right to you, then receive this teaching.

Upvote 0