What do Calvinists think of Henry Cloud's theology?

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Came out of an AofG church that was big on Henry Cloud, Dave Ramsey, and Andy Stanley, and towards the end if my time, implemented "boundaries" on me for personal dislike as opposed to church discipline--that resulted in me reviewing Henry Cloud in depth, and from everything I've seen, he appears to be a heretic, but as such I am open to correction biblically. Preferably Calvinist responses as I trust them to utilize the Word more carefully, but as long as we use the Word rightly that should be all that matters. I can go more in depth on what I believe to be heresy, but want to hear what others have to say.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Came out of an AofG church that was big on Henry Cloud, Dave Ramsey, and Andy Stanley, and towards the end if my time, implemented "boundaries" on me for personal dislike as opposed to church discipline--that resulted in me reviewing Henry Cloud in depth, and from everything I've seen, he appears to be a heretic, but as such I am open to correction biblically. Preferably Calvinist responses as I trust them to utilize the Word more carefully, but as long as we use the Word rightly that should be all that matters. I can go more in depth on what I believe to be heresy, but want to hear what others have to say.
I never heard of Cloud. Can you give us a synopsis of his theology

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

He's not a pastor that I can tell.

He's a motivational speaker and leadership coach.

Dave Ramsey also is not a pastor, but someone with financial knowledge.

Don't concern yourself with the opinions of these men and if your church does and is impacting you, time to find a new church.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's no end of self-help gurus nowadays promising solutions for life's problems.

Who or what can you trust?

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is why main-stream Pentecostalism and the Charismatic movement are going down the tubes of heresy, pagan mind-control, and the occult. It is becoming very difficult these days to find a sound Pentecostal or Charismatic church that is attended and run by folk who just love the Lord and His Word and hold to the true gospel of Christ crucified. This is because those churches are very small in comparison with the larger mega-churches that are run by pagan faith confession, and motivational speakers who pander more to self image and improvement than sound Reformed Christian doctrine.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,297.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I also had never heard of the man and went to that fount of all knowledge - Wikipedia - to find out about him. He is a psychologist with a master's degree who has taken a few classes at a seminary. That tells me enough that I have no reason to give him any more heed than anyone else. Whether or not he is a heretic is not my concern.

Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I never heard of Cloud. Can you give us a synopsis of his theology

Sorry for the late reply...been moving and with no internet for a few weeks.
Here's a link to the best source to get the best understanding:
Boundaries Guide | 7 Cups Help Guides

That said, to give you a rough idea...he starts out by saying God created many boundaries--sand and sea, light and dark, God giving Adam & Eve instruction to not eat from the tree, and uses this logic to justify why we need to establish boundaries with one another. This whole teaching originated because Henry Cloud was in a situation where a congregant was demanding much of his time...wanting to meet for hours every week, and it was distressing to his wife (and if I recall, children as well). Cloud decided change was needed, and told that congregant he could no longer meet with him, and needed to break contact; the congregant asked how long, and Cloud told him 2 years.
This would be the launching point for Cloud's theology, in which he says that setting boundaries would be healthy for our lives. However, he also, as you can watch via the link I provided, instructs married couples to divorce (despite only having a short convo with the husband), and then proceeds to tell them to both seek counseling...a service he provides. He also instructs a new bride to cut contact with her mother; and for parents to kick out children who are dependent on them for shelter past college. All of this is done without speaking to every party involved, and using less than 5 verses of Scripture.

I do agree that a man should protect his household, and should make his family priority--absolutely!! But what I also see is the devastating effect on the man he cut off..why could he not limit their interaction rather than complete cutoff? 2 years is not a healthy boundary, I'm sorry. Cloud was right in prioritizing his family, but not at the complete expense of a brother. What should have happened biblically, was a discussion about this man's idolatry of people, or codependence--and go from there.

This boundaries teaching then delved into boundaries for kids, boundaries in dating, and boundaries in marriage..which I don't have much knowledge of; however have seen testimony of a family torn apart by this teaching, for couples establishing boundaries of no talking for years for "personal space" which then led to cheating. Boundaries don't promote love or limit sin; they only change the direction of it. If you build a wall, it keeps people you don't like out; but it doesn't keep sin out of the sinful people inside the walls.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Boundaries don't promote love or limit sin; they only change the direction of it. If you build a wall, it keeps people you don't like out; but it doesn't keep sin out of the sinful people inside the walls.

I appreciate you reminding us of the fact that popular teaching does not always equal good teaching. However, the responsibility is not only on the speaker, but also on the hearer on how to apply the teaching in his own life.

You speak of a brother who was cut off. But this does not mean that he couldn't receive any help for 2 years. He could have went to someone else for help. Boundaries does not have to mean you leave the other person desolate. It only means that you are not the right person to help him.

Also, I am curious to know how you define boundaries. For example, you have already set boundaries with us by choosing not to identify yourself. And none of us have attempted to overstep them by inquiring what your real name is. So if you feel Cloud's boundaries are extreme, what would be the proper, biblical definition?

Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate you reminding us of the fact that popular teaching does not always equal good teaching. However, the responsibility is not only on the speaker, but also on the hearer on how to apply the teaching in his own life.

You speak of a brother who was cut off. But this does not mean that he couldn't receive any help for 2 years. He could have went to someone else for help. Boundaries does not have to mean you leave the other person desolate. It only means that you are not the right person to help him.

Also, I am curious to know how you define boundaries. For example, you have already set boundaries with us by choosing not to identify yourself. And none of us have attempted to overstep them by inquiring what your real name is. So if you feel Cloud's boundaries are extreme, what would be the proper, biblical definition?

the first and second matter could actually be answered together. I don't really use the term boundary as much as I would sin; and then we would also have to take the matter of the brevity of the sin and whether or not there was repentance.

“I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.”

- Romans 16:17

can we agree that a boundary is an obstacle to love and creates divisions (it literally has a picture of a dividing line on the cover)? In this case, Henry Cloud is not even a pastor, simply a psychologist who preached at Gateway Church and a few other churches; a motivational speaker, if you will. You are correct when you say this man could receive help elsewhere...however this doesn't mean that you cease communication completely with everyone else.

However, in 1 and 2 Corinthians, we are introduced to man who commits incest, a horrible sin no doubt, and unrepentant. Paul instructs excommunication; but the purpose was so that this man would repent..and he did! And then Paul instructs Corinth to welcome him back, forgive, AND comfort him...I do not know so much more clear definition of relational forgiveness. To me, a boundary is to be set with those who are in obvious opposition to the Gospel and Jesus and/or are unrepentant. I see nothing of boundaries for lesser sins such as profanity, lying, slander, or lack of witnessing (though still sinful), unless that person refuses to be corrected for them

You are correct that the listener also has a role in discernment. However, when presented with false doctrine, we follow the biblical model, go once, then bring another, then bring it to the church.
There is evidence of Cloud's followers questioning him...he blocks and removes anyone who even so much as QUESTIONS his theology....that isn't responsible authority--that's tyranny.

I don't recall being asked my name. However, It is simply the nature of the Internet to have aliases. This is generally due to the long-standing notion that the Internet is a prime place for security to be threatened; I think this is generally accepted as giving away our identity on the Internet risks our security and potentially the security of those we care about. In a small group I would readily identify myself...but being that anybody can have access to the Internet, it should be assumed some unrepentant people are within the community of the Internet, and thus should not be trusted as we would a fellow church member whom we have known.

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I do not know Henry Cloud, but it is true we need to recognise what is our responsibility and what is someone elses responsibility. But this is not theology, this is about walk in the light.

After hearing a little bit, it is clear that these guys are not aware this is also about how people operate, what is intimacy and understanding others, and how you love people in different levels of maturity and realisation of their independence. God moves and heals the sick and needy, and there is no one formula for anyone, but we have to learn each others language so we can express Christs love appropriately.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love the Boundaries book and have found it very helpful

I am pro psychology

However, it should not be replacing the Word of God. Churches are for heating the Word of God. Nothing wrong with psychology books and seminars but people need to hear the Word in the churches in a sunday

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally, I don't mind what Henry Cloud has to say in his various books. His ministry is a kind of psychological counseling service and tends to focus on helping those who are in unstable relationships.

So, if a person is already doing fine with his/her social boundaries and not having to deal with abuse, there's likely little need to read Cloud's books.

And to be honest, just for the record, I'm not Calvinist; I'm more Pascalian.

Upvote 0