What do Baptists believe about speaking in tongues?

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
now faith,

I don't know what IDFB is and Google didn't help me.

I join with you in agreeing that the perfect will come when we are 'face to face'. The NLT translates 1 Cor 13:12 as,

'Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely'.​

I find that to be a special, dynamic equivalence translation of that verse.

Oz

Independent fundamental Baptist, I could be wrong on the abbreviation.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
To me, Barna's research just shows a change perhaps, but doesn't prove cessation isn't so. The fulfillment of the predicted apostacy during the last times could explain this just as well.
Exorcism is not a gift, so therefore has nothing to do with cessation. It is a dangerous path when people start interpreting Scripture by experiences (that can be so misleading and deceiving) rather than just holding to Scripture itself.

Here is a link,that may help from a medical perspective.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, I used to believe in the cessation of that gift until discussion one night in seminary.

I no longer believe that way.

I do agree with your fathers viewpoint though.

In years past, I visited many Church of God churches. Not being exposed to this sort of thing was a frightening experience.

Looking back, however I see the "abuse" of this.

Looking at the day of Pentecost, why did those in the upper room speak in tongues? It was the dramatic announcement of the arrival of the Holy Spirit to not only continue Christ's work, to start His work here in this world.

A lot can be said but let me just say this, Paul give a list of "gifts" and he give a list of "rules" to go along with them.

To me, and its just my own observation that after Pentecost, the Holy Spirit did not pour Himself out on an entire congregation again. Paul never mentioned that in any of his epistles. Likewise, neither did John, James, or Peter.

I have, however, watched the Spirit come upon some people. I wished one night during a singing that I had the Spirit come on me like this one certain young man did.

I am very weary when I walk into a church and the entire congregation is "in the Spirit" and "speaking in tongues". (Seen that many times)

I am very weary when the Pastor of the congregation tells their members "Lets pray "in the Spirit". (Meaning obviously to pray in tongues)

Like I said, I used to believe it ceased, but not anymore.

God Bless

Till all are one.

True , if we look at the gifts of the Spirit as individual gifts they are still from one Spirit the Holy Spirit.
I believe their purpose is for a sign to those who are unbelievers.
Just as Paul taught,as well it would be odd to think someone could command the Holy Spirit to fall on a congregation with divers tongues or prayer in the Spirit.
When we look at the works of the Apostles we do not know how much time passed between miracles such as Peter telling the lame man to rise and walk.
In the video I shared the Pastor mentions how it is not just done by our will.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This was a shorter video than I watched a few years ago,the longer version had a lady as well ,and her results were very clear.
In debating someone a Atheist I believe it was,He said that monks can do the same thing.
I like this video because of the comparison to monks being highly active in the frontal lobe.
It is easy to discern real from fake,due to linguistics and how repetitive the fake language is.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,131.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Most Baptist believe the gifts have ceased...

IF...someone were to speak in tongues in public, someone there BETTER be able to interpret. If it was not glorifying God, then it was not real.

That might be the case in the USA, but certainly not in the UK. Here, most Baptists (based on my limited experience) do accept that the Charismatic Gifts are still available for today. And many Baptists do exercise these gifts, including speaking in tongues. However, it would be unusual to hear people speaking in tongues in a public church service (unlike, say, some Pentecostal or House Churches).

If, say, during a time of open prayer, someone gave a message in tongues, then I would expect the minister or leader to ask if someone had an interpretation. It does happen.

In the 1960's and 70's (and 80's?) many churches suffered splits over Charismatic issues. Fortunately, we have moved on. People with different gifts and different experiences are no longer compelled to separate into different churches, but can and do worship and serve together.

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
1 Cor 12:4-6

I would like to thank Oz, DeaconDean, Now Faith for their informative discussions and arguments.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That might be the case in the USA, but certainly not in the UK. Here, most Baptists (based on my limited experience) do accept that the Charismatic Gifts are still available for today. And many Baptists do exercise these gifts, including speaking in tongues. However, it would be unusual to hear people speaking in tongues in a public church service (unlike, say, some Pentecostal or House Churches).

If, say, during a time of open prayer, someone gave a message in tongues, then I would expect the minister or leader to ask if someone had an interpretation. It does happen.

In the 1960's and 70's (and 80's?) many churches suffered splits over Charismatic issues. Fortunately, we have moved on. People with different gifts and different experiences are no longer compelled to separate into different churches, but can and do worship and serve together.

1 Cor 12:4-6

I would like to thank Oz, DeaconDean, Now Faith for their informative discussions and arguments.

Hants,

It is similar here in Queensland. Qld Baptists are open to the gifts of the Spirit. My son is an M Div graduate of Malyon College, the Baptist theological college in Brisbane. The gifts are openly discussed in classes and he wrote a paper on the gifts for one of his theology classes.

There are some charismatic Baptist churches in Australia but those that are openly charismatic are few. It is more likely to see these gifts operate in small groups.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Most Baptist believe the gifts have ceased...

IF...someone were to speak in tongues in public, someone there BETTER be able to interpret. If it was not glorifying God, then it was not real.

And that is what Scripture teaches (see 1 Cor 14:27-28).

Upvote 0

Gojira323

May 14, 2017
Deer Park
✟9,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello first time poster been reading through this and it's a very fascinating subject and glad someone tackled it and ask this question. I was raised Baptist even though I Identify as none denominational but Baptist in my beliefs even though I don't identify as Calvinist. But I was raised in a Baptist church that believed the gifts ended with the last apostle and anything today is emotional based heresy that's flat out what the pastor would say. He was a John Mccarthurite all the way. I never agreed with that I don't have any of these gifts but I don't feel it's emotionalism on crack either with some yeah but not with everyone, the confusion I have though with tongues is so much emphasis seems to be put on it when Paul said that it was the least of the gifts and proceeded to name other's far more important. I've never heard a sermon in any Pentecostal church I've been to explain this. I've heard such as in my brother's church The Church Of God that you must have the gift of tongues to show evidence that you have the Holy Ghost as his pastor put it. Good man sincere in his beliefs but I've yet to find scriptures to back that up so that bothered me pretty bad and haven't gone back to visit since. Great subject though on here really inspires thinking and study.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard such as in my brother's church The Church Of God that you must have the gift of tongues to show evidence that you have the Holy Ghost as his pastor put it. Good man sincere in his beliefs but I've yet to find scriptures to back that up so that bothered me pretty bad and haven't gone back to visit since. Great subject though on here really inspires thinking and study.

Here is what The Church of God uses:

"Baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to cleansing; the enduement of power for service. Matthew 3:11; Luke 24:49, 53; Acts 1:4-8.
  • The speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance as the initial evidence of the baptism in the Holy Ghost. John 15:26; Acts 2:4; 10:44-46; 19:1-7."

Source

Most of their beliefs on speaking in tongues is based on the book of Acts, a record of the Primitive Church.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That brings up a good point...interpretation of tongues. Paul's letter to the church in Corinth was one long rebuke because they were abusing their Christianity. Spiritual gifts were being misunderstood and abused and Paul set them (and us) straight on the matter.

There are still some churches today that are abusing the gifts by exercising them in the flesh rather than walking in step with the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). However, many pentecostals believe that when the gift of tongues is exercised in the assembly an interpreter must be present and must exercise their gift as well. So, regardless of what we might think of that gift's validity for today, at least they are trying to practice it within the guidelines set forth in God's Word.

The only "tongues" that I ever heard the president of the AG college (where I worked) speak was Spanish. He would stand up in chapel and pray in Spanish and then he would pray the same thing in English (interpret). I never heard him "babble". I know that is not the supernatural enabling of the Spirit, but I always found it interesting that he did that. (Our Latin American students appreciated it).

But, did he KNOW Spanish? If he did, that is not speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Logic cries out ,if not Paul then who preached the Gospel to the Gentiles?
We have a sermon and gathering from Peter where the Holy Ghost was poured out.
We Have Phillip and the Eunuch.
But with Paul we have the planting of Churches in the majority of the New Testament.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
“Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;

Was this a lie? Should we also not believe in baptism? Was it only the apostles who could perform baptisms, or impart the baptism of the Holy Spirit as some have stated the latter?

"Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

"37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your right brother (Now Faith),

In this day and age, whatever we don't like about scripture, just discard it.

Paul must have been around the same age or perhaps just a wee bit older.

Fact: Paul (pre-conversion) was a Pharisee. The son of a Pharisee. Taught at the feet of Gamaliel. This took a lot of time. Being a Pharisee, it is only logical that Paul was around during Jesus' ministry.

Fact: He had a one-on-one meeting with the resurrected Lord, for nobody else but Jesus could have changed a Pharisees heart.

Fact: In Acts 13, it is recorded that the Holy Spirit (God) said to set Paul and Barnabas apart.

Fact: Paul addresses Timothy in his second letter as an "apostle". It may be that he meant "a messenger sent out". But if you want to get technical about it all, then the original 11 that were present at Pentecost, would only qualify as "a messenger sent out".

The person also took issue with books in the bible that were included that were not written by an "apostle".

Lets discard then also. Gone: Luke, Acts, Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, Ephesians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, Titus, 1 & 2 Timothy, Colossians, Philemon, since the author of Hebrews is unknown, discard it also, The Revelation of Jesus Christ since authorship is debatable.

That leaves us with:
  1. Matthew
  2. Mark
  3. John
  4. 1 John
  5. 2 John
  6. 3 John
  7. James
  8. 1 Peter
  9. 2 Peter
I am so thankful that I don't share that theology.

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Agree
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Paul was not saved during Christ earthly ministry,has nothing to do with the future events.
The Gospel was not preached to the Gentiles as well during this time.
Yet it was promised that the Gentiles would be children of God since Abraham recieved the promise.
We cannot say or teach a fundamental truth ,to anyone who will not establish that God's Word is truth in its entirety.
It's a couched debate because the foundation of schripture is denied.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul was not saved during Christ earthly ministry,has nothing to do with the future events.
Yet it was promised that the Gentiles would be children of God since Abraham recieved the promise.
We cannot say or teach a fundamental truth ,to anyone who will not establish that God's Word is truth in its entirety.

Brother, this thread just keeps getting funnier, and funnier.

Why do we even bother?

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." -2 Tim. 4:3-4 (KJV)

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Yes, you can't punch holes in the New Testament and only believe what is left. That is what termites do to foundations.

FULL GOSPEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Brother, this thread just keeps getting funnier, and funnier.

Why do we even bother?

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." -2 Tim. 4:3-4 (KJV)

God Bless

Till all are one.
Amen

Upvote 0