What did you get out of the Message this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaPastor

Spirit-Filled United Methodist
Jul 12, 2008
Iowa
✟8,345.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Two for two these past two weeks :D

Today the Bible reading was John 1:43-53 and in particular Nathanael's initial response (verse 46) when he was told by Philip about Jesus. Then how he reacted after meeting the Lord (verse 49). The overall gist of the sermon was how we are not to get discouraged when our non believing friends or family members coldly react to the Good News.

This past week had ended on a sour note for me after going to the funeral of my grand-uncle (went to be with the Lord at the mighty age of 92). A brother in Christ burst into tears after a scripture reading - not because of the deceased - but because 80 - 90% of those who attended were not saved. The reader had made a heart felt plea for those present to think about where or what happens to them when their time was up. I was sat there with my dad, my sister-in-law, my aunt and my brother all of whom were not saved. Prior to the service I'd had a heart to heart with my brother and sister-in-law in his car and in his usual jokey way, my brother dodged the topic of believing in God. So the whole affair together with talking with my unsaved spouse weighed heavy again as I went to church today.

So with the message given today came a renewed patience on my part to keep praying and interceding for my family members and for those who do not yet know the Lord. To keep taking the knock-backs and to not lose hope. My Bible reading for the morning had also been Genesis 18 and what stood out for me today was verse 14 which starts with

Is anything too hard for the Lord?

Reactions: MsAnne
Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Today's message was powerful, literally - the power of a name, His name. * God even commands that we not take His name in vain. He wouldn't have spelled out something that specific in His commandments if it were not so important. (I'd actually never thought about it that way before.)
* The angel even told Mary what to name Jesus.
* Phil 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,..." Not the thought of Jesus, or the idea of Jesus, but at the name.
God changed people's names in the Bible. Abram to Abraham. Simon to Peter. There was meaning and importance and power in the name change.
It's no coincidence that people, unfortunately, use the names of God when swearing. You don't hear people yell "Oh Budda!" or "Mohammed!" when they hit their finger with a hammer.
There's power in The Name!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.