Pacific, Mo.
✟152,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does the standard interpretation of the Philippian jailer's question cloud what was happening here? And give the wrong impression of salvation? (in this situation)

This story is significant in the Evangelical salvation statement: Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. (note: only half of the quote) Why is the second half omitted?
In this formula, believe = salvation.

Acts 16:30-31 NRSV
Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They answered, “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

But does the context of the text completely support this formula?
Especially verse 27.

Here is the earthquake passage context.

Acts 16:26-31 NRSV
Suddenly there was an earthquake, so violent that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened. 27 When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself, since he supposed that the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul shouted in a loud voice, “Do not harm yourself, for we are all here.” 29 The jailer" called for lights, and rushing in, he fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They answered, “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Just another lame approach to the age old faith vs works debate.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Until an angel appeared to Joseph (Matthew 1:21) using the languge of Psalms 130:8, as did Zechariah in his prophecy (Luke 1:77) and John the Baptist in his preaching--the language of "salvation from sin" (John 1:29), and until Jesus preached much on the forgiveness of sin (Matthew 6:14-15, Matthew 9:2-6; Luke 5:20-24, etc.) and condemnation for sin (Matthew 12:37, John 3:18-19, John 5:24, etc).
None of those verses prove your point, or contradict mine.
That is precisely what it is about in Jesus' words of John 3:16-19.
Of course, that's absolutely true, but it doesn't contradict the biblical meaning of salvation, the outworking of which was meant to start immediately, not when we die.
Not if they were paying attention in the above, or to Peter in Acts 4:8-13, the slave girl knew what it meant in Acts 16:16-17.

You cannot escape from the fact that the interrogation of Peter in Acts4v18 was precisely because they had healed a man, (ie. Salvation = Deliverance from Philistine famine and plague/disease) and that healing undermined the religious authorities, just as much as it does today.

And I don't know why you include the slave girl in your argument because it proves my point exactly. The slave girl's words were coming from the spirit of divination within her. By casting that demon out, Peter demonstrated conclusively that "salvation", meant deliverance from our enemies today, not when we are dead.
Actually, that is about restoration to the glory of the days of Solomon, not deliverance.
You've just proved my point, restoration means nothing less than deliverance from the yoke of Rome.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does the standard interpretation of the Philippian jailer's question cloud what was happening here? And give the wrong impression of salvation? (in this situation)

This story is significant in the Evangelical salvation statement: Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. (note: only half of the quote) Why is the second half omitted?
In this formula, believe = salvation.

Acts 16:30-31 NRSV
Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They answered, “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

But does the context of the text completely support this formula?
Especially verse 27.

Here is the earthquake passage context.

Acts 16:26-31 NRSV
Suddenly there was an earthquake, so violent that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened. 27 When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself, since he supposed that the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul shouted in a loud voice, “Do not harm yourself, for we are all here.” 29 The jailer" called for lights, and rushing in, he fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They answered, “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
I agree we just do not know enough. The Jailer might have stayed up listening the Paul and Silas. He and the other prisoners might have heard the gospel by listening to Paul, but we do not know. You say you are looking for a process/system to salvation, but everyone comes from diffenet perspectives and it most be a personal instruction.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my Bible verse 32 comes after verse 30. Is that not true of your Bible?
Therefore the question came before verse 32, and therefore had nothing to do with it.
And verse 32 answers your question.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
None of those verses prove your point, or contradict mine.
Your point is: "So when Jesus spoke about "salvation" his hearers were still thinking of deliverance from Philistine (ie. Romans), famine and plague.."

But Jesus spoke of "salvation" only once, and it was in terms of worship and not in terms of deliverance from enemies, in John 4:21-24, so
you have no point.
He likewise spoke of it in terms of "condemnation" in John 3:18, again having nothing to do with deliverance from the Phillistines.
You have no point.
the biblical meaning of salvation, the outworking of which was meant to start immediately, not when we die.
Yes, but that is not all.

Salvation is from the wrath of God (Romans 5:9).
Salvation is the remission of one's sin through faith in the person and atoning work (blood--Romans 3:5) of Jesus Christ, giving us permanent right standing (position) with God's justice.
That right standing saves us from God's wrath at the judgment, after we die.

Through this faith God likewise justifies us (declares us "not guillty," righteous, sanctified) based on Jesus' atoning work for our sin.
That positional righteousness/sanctification is to be worked out in our lives through progressive growth in righteousness/sanctification
leading to holiness, for "Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

Salvation is past - when we came to saving faith, removing us from God's wrath at the judgment,
salvation is present - in our growth in sanctification leading to holiness, and
salvation is future - at the resurrection when it is completed in our resurrection bodies.

There is no Biblical warrant for denying the Evangelical salvation statement: "belief = salvation."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And verse 32 answers your question.
I think that is the wrong conclusion. That is the whole point of the topic.

For as long as I can remember, it has been claimed that the jailer was referring to the salvation of his soul. I don't think that was of his least concern.

I think he was focused on what the Roman authorities might do to him due to the security breach. He was ready to fall on his sword before Paul stopped him. (a prevented suicide)

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

For as long as I can remember, it has been claimed that the jailer was referring to the salvation of his soul. I don't think that was of his least concern.

I think he was focused on what the Roman authorities might do to him due to the security breach.
He was ready to fall on his sword before Paul stopped him.
(a prevented suicide)
Which wouldn't keep him from wondering what would happen to him after he fell on his sword, which could have been his introduction to the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think he was focused on what the Roman authorities might do to him due to the security breach. He was ready to fall on his sword before Paul stopped him. (a prevented suicide)

It's possible that is what the jailer meant but considering why Paul and Silas were in prison it might be true that this particular jailer was a "thinking man" and having time to reflect on the girls "accusations" regarding Paul, did indeed think beyond his immediate physical life.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's possible that is what the jailer meant but considering why Paul and Silas were in prison it might be true that this particular jailer was a "thinking man" and having time to reflect on the girls "accusations" regarding Paul, did indeed think beyond his immediate physical life.

Just a thought.
I appreciate that you are thinking through this and not regurgitating the standard interpretation. But...

The jailer probably had no idea why Paul was there and most likely didn't care. I think that someone assigned as a jailer wasn't that knowledgeable of the goings on before he received a prisoner. Probably better that he didn't know. Might bias his treatment of them.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... The jailer was terrified because as always the case, it was life for life. If his prisoners escaped, he would die, which was why he was about to kill himself, preferring that to a grisly torture and execution. ...
Thanks. You seem to be the only poster that understood what I was driving at here.

Although, from that perspective, the outcome is surprising. (salvation of his whole household) But I suppose that was the benefit of where the Apostle took the situation, though not the original intent of the jailer.

Upvote 0