What did Satan know about the result of the crucifixion, and when did he know it?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Satan know about the result of the crucifixion, when did he know it, and how did he know it?

No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 2

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What did Satan know about the result of the crucifixion, when did he know it, and how did he know it?

It's unclear what Satan knows or doesn't know. He is the one who got Christ arrested and eventually led to the cross when he entered into Judas who then betrayed Christ so he got arrested so he wasn't trying to stop the cross from happening at least at that point. Personally I think Satan is insane so his actions don't usually make much sense anyways.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We're talking about beings who could have four-digit IQ's for all anybody knows.

No one knows anything about Satan's or the fallen angels IQ's.

They all oppose God. They cannot win so why do they? Either they aren't sane, or there is very heavy deceptions happening to them.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Satan understood the purpose of the Cross till right after Christ died. Various signs like the temple curtain being split, the dead being raised and preaching Christ etc. would have tipped him off, he also may have been able to perceive Christ entering into Sheol and may have even been able to listen to Christ preaching to the dead (Harrowing of Hell). This just a guess based on the fact he was a spiritual being able to do things like re-enter God's court in heaven as the book of Job depicts etc.

Harrowing of Hell - Wikipedia

Reactions: Astroqualia
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If he knew the fullness of the plan of redemption, he would've done everything he could to prevent the crucifixion from happening. I think it's quite likely that he didn't understand Our Lord's purpose.
Possible.
Do you think Matthew 16:22 was his feeble attempt with that knowledge?
If it was, it wasn't enough to stop God's purpose.
If it wasn't, and if he was hoping to capitalize on the Crucifixion to whatever rebellious ends he might have devised, it still wasn't enough to stop God's purpose.

Upvote 0

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not sure about your specific question, as it is impossible to know when Satan knew something. But one thing is for sure - Satan is able to make his own version of the "crucifixion event" for unbelievers- it's called the mark of the beast, that seals the soul for the opposite team than the holy spirit seal that scripture talks about does.

Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
I honestly don't know what OP is getting at.

I can possibly guess what OP is getting at, but that's leading to more questions than answers.

One clue is 1 Corinthians 2:7-8.

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory."​

Since Satan is called "The Prince of the Power of the Air," and is a ruler himself (Ephesians 2:2), then he would be included on the list of rulers Paul is referring to.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 2
My thinking is that satan thought that if Jesus was crucified the people would see Him as a false messiah and would not follow His teachings, so His entire ministry would be a failure and His followers the and the Apostles would forget about Him. AND satan was almost right, the Apostles went into hiding and forgot what Jesus had said about what would happen after His death. BUT when Jesus came back from the dead, just as He said He would and gave additional instruction to the Apostles they finally understood for certain who He was and what they had to do. Then when the Holy Spirit energized them the Kingdom of God began, just a Jesus said it would.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What brought this question up was a discussion I was having with some fellow Christians about 1 Corinthians 2.

I thought it was pretty noncontroversial to presume that despite his knowledge of scripture, Satan failed to understand how Christ would use the crucifixion to utterly defeat him. But it turned out that some of them disputed that idea.

In fact, when I posed the response, "Are you saying that Satan was actively working against the crucifixion?" one of them affirmed that in his opinion, Satan was trying to prevent the crucifixion (based on "Get thee behind me, Satan."

IMO, although Satan certainly understood a messiah was to be born, I think the "mystery" Paul speaks of to the Corinthians was just as much a mystery to Satan as to everyone else. I don't think he understood beforehand that the Messiah would actually be the Son incarnated (rather than someone such as Moses or David).

I think that when it did happen, Satan had to do some testing to determine whether Jesus' humanity would put Him within Satan's influence. I think that Satan continued to believe that he could succeed with Jesus' death...until that moment occurred, and instead of becoming a prisoner of the grave, Jesus broke the gates. I don't think Satan saw that coming at all.

Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
What brought this question up was a discussion I was having with some fellow Christians about 1 Corinthians 2.

I thought it was pretty noncontroversial to presume that despite his knowledge of scripture, Satan failed to understand how Christ would use the crucifixion to utterly defeat him. But it turned out that some of them disputed that idea.

In fact, when I posed the response, "Are you saying that Satan was actively working against the crucifixion?" one of them affirmed that in his opinion, Satan was trying to prevent the crucifixion (based on "Get thee behind me, Satan."

IMO, although Satan certainly understood a messiah was to be born, I think the "mystery" Paul speaks of to the Corinthians was just as much a mystery to Satan as to everyone else. I don't think he understood beforehand that the Messiah would actually be the Son incarnated (rather than someone such as Moses or David).

I think that when it did happen, Satan had to do some testing to determine whether Jesus' humanity would put Him within Satan's influence. I think that Satan continued to believe that he could succeed with Jesus' death...until that moment occurred, and instead of becoming a prisoner of the grave, Jesus broke the gates. I don't think Satan saw that coming at all.

Oh, okay. So Satan was trying to prevent the crucifixion, and was thus aware of it.

What Satan was clearly not aware of was the Resurrection.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, okay. So Satan was trying to prevent the crucifixion, and was thus aware of it.

What Satan was clearly not aware of was the Resurrection.

I don't think Satan was trying to prevent the crucifixion.

As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” -- John 13

Notice that word "so." It was when and because Satan had entered Judas--of which Jesus would have been spiritually aware--that Jesus told Judas to get on with the deed. At that point, Satan was still directing events toward the crucifixion. Luke actually identifies the "when" of Satan entering Judas as the point that Judas makes the agreement to betray Jesus. In either case, scripture clearly calls out Satan as propelling the course of the crucifixion.

I don't think Satan realized he'd been outmaneuvered until Jesus willingly (and early) surrendered His spirit.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is one small bit of evidence that Satan could have known.
When Jesus announced that He must die [Matthew 16:21-23], Satan prompted Peter to pooh-pooh the idea. It seems, at that point, Satan didn't want Jesus to fulfill that mission.

full
But Jesus' misdirect might have been to make it look like He was being executed on men's/Satan's terms (rather than His own) thereby foiling whatever His original mission was.
Ten Thousand Angels

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 3:15. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel. This is bible prophecy. God telling satan. The devil will cause Jesus to be crucified. And Ezekiel chapter 28, satan goes into lake of fire. Psalm chapter 22, Jesus was crucified. Satan is so arrogant and stupid, he thought by crucified Jesus he would win. Satan destroyed himself. Hebrews chapter 2 to document, Jesus defeated death, which is satan. Lucifer wants to be messiah. Read Isaiah chapter 14. Lucifer wanted the Mercy seat. Pride is satan's downfall. Back to genesis and 3, satan knew Jesus would be born in the flesh and crucified. Satan attempted to avert his demise by under estimating Jesus resolve. Lucifer defeated himself. No one can equate their knowledge or wisdom to God. James chapter 1, All wisdom and knowledge comes from God.

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Crufixion was satan's idea of how to persecute Christ. He is guilty of murder, in this case being called deicide. In his blindness, satan continues to perpetuate sin beyond the Crucifixion, to this day, not realising that one day God will stop him and send him to hell.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Crufixion was satan's idea of how to persecute Christ. He is guilty of murder, in this case being called deicide. In his blindness, satan continues to perpetuate sin beyond the Crucifixion, to this day, not realising that one day God will stop him and send him to hell.
Satan is aware of his eventual fate. That's pointed out by the fact as Paul mentioned that demons still tremble with that knowledge. It may have been a mystery to him before the resurrection, but that mystery has been revealed.

Upvote 0