What did Jesus mean when He told Peter he was the rock he would build his church upon?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure there was. The King chose his Prime Minister, in fact, replaced him when he was found wanting.
No. The first Prime Minister in history came along in the 1700s AD and he, the PM, is the leader of parliament, NOT the king! There was no democracy, no popularly elected representatives, etc. in the days you are referring to.

You don't think the pope is anyone, but we believe you're wrong.
Well, the Pope IS someone. The question is whether he is what Christ intended for his church.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There was no such position as Prime Minister. Even if there had been, that is a political post, not a religious one, so the comparison fails there as well.
Are you denying that Jesus being Christ the Messiah the son and successor of King David, Is a POLITICAL role?

What about the Millennium in revelation 20? The Church of Christ REIGNS on Earth for 1000 years. That has no political aspect?

To you what does the term "Kingdom" of God in heaven on Earth through Christ mean?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. The first Prime Minister in history came along in the 1700s AD and he, the PM, is the leader of parliament, NOT the king! There was no democracy, no popularly elected representatives, etc. in the days you are referring to.

Well, the Pope IS someone. The question is whether he is what Christ intended for his church.
Wasn't Joseph the Prime Minister of the pharaoh in Egypt? Sometime in the vague ballpark of 1500 BC.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, since there was nothing officially named such means such never existed before? What was there before there was an official Bible?
Question has been answered, you just disagree.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you denying that Jesus being Christ the Messiah the son and successor of King David, Is a POLITICAL role?
That wasn't the point of my comments, but no, he is not a politician or Earthly ruler.

Christ, being God, is much above all of that and when he described the kingdom to his disciples he was referring to himself, so obviously that transcends any government of Caesars or Pharoahs, etc.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't Joseph the Prime Minister of the pharaoh in Egypt? Sometime in the vague ballpark of 1500 BC.
No. That is sometimes said, but doing so is to appropriate a term from modern history and apply it to a Biblical figure in an attempt to make his role more understandable to the reader. In this case, it doesn't fit. However, this illustrates how much twisting and turning anyone has to do when trying to justify the position of the Pope by the use of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have put a lot of thought into this and based on Christs words and catholic church history id say the rock is what Peter said I couldn't see Christs church supporting Hitler and calling him the savior of Germany as the pope of the time did

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have put a lot of thought into this and based on Christs words and catholic church history id say the rock is what Peter said I couldn't see Christs church supporting Hitler and calling him the savior of Germany as the pope of the time did
"Christ's Church" didn't support Hitler, and the pope of the time actually worked against Hitler.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Christ's Church" didn't support Hitler, and the pope of the time actually worked against Hitler.

In mein kamph I can get the page if you with Hitler says " I am always have been and always will be catholic"

Attachments

• images(15).jpg
    images(15).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
  • images(17).jpg
    images(17).jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please remember that threads on CF stand on a rock of mutual courtesy and respect.
In particular, may I remind you of this part of our flaming rule:​
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members,
    are not Christian is not allowed.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erik Nelson

Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. That is sometimes said, but doing so is to appropriate a term from modern history and apply it to a Biblical figure in an attempt to make his role more understandable to the reader. In this case, it doesn't fit. However, this illustrates how much twisting and turning anyone has to do when trying to justify the position of the Pope by the use of Scripture.
OK. Joseph was the "Grand Vizier" or "Grand Viceroy" of Pharaoh. Whether you say Prime Minister, Grand Vizier or Grand Viceroy. I think it's all essentially the same.

I'm not sure I actually follow the Isaiah 22 illusion. But it certainly does not use the word Prime Minister. That term is just a helpful expression re phrasing, and paraphrasing. The text in modern terms more understandable. for. Current leadership.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 249444
MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please remember that threads on CF stand on a rock of mutual courtesy and respect.
In particular, may I remind you of this part of our flaming rule:

• Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members,
    are not Christian is not allowed.
MOD HAT OFF
Can we provide information from history or scripture and let it speak for itself? I do not wish to offend anyone, only to spread the truth , if I am ever in error I beg to be corrected.

Upvote 0