What did Jesus mean when He said we had to hate our lives?

stacymay

Cloudcuckoolander
May 17, 2011
North Carolina
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does John 12:25 mean?

"He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal."

What exactly does this mean? It's something that's confused me for quite a while now. One of the things I struggle with most is wondering whether I view the world the right way or not. If I enjoy life and love living and even love the world (aka nature, art, music, entertainment, etc.) does that make me a bad Christian? There are things about the world I dislike, but I don't walk around spitting on it anyway. Should I?

Are we really supposed to have hate in our hearts? Since I came to Christ I've felt that love is important and that we should try to think positively, be grateful, be happy, and love other people and things. Of course we're not supposed to love sin, but that goes without saying. Still, am I doing it wrong if I don't hate the world & life?

(Sorry, I know I'm always posting with these questions, but I want to have other people's input because I really have no other person to talk to about it.)

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe He means that if you value your standing in life here above all else, if you live only for this life, then you'll lose it. But if you treat this life as it's second to God and His kingdom, then you will live forever, in Him. I've heard from a few professors at my school that the word 'hate' can also mean something like 'second best,' so possibly that is what it means by hate your life. I don't see any evidence of God wanting us to despise and loathe our existence here on this Earth, but seeking fulfillment in worldly things and furthering our lives here for ourselves is definitely not our goal. We serve the Most High, and this is the chance we have to further His kingdom. There won't be missions in Heaven, and we are the watchmen and carry the knowledge of such an awesome relationship for people to be had with their Creator and Savior. That definitely supersedes anything 'important' we may try and achieve in this life, and is why if we pursue anything other than God, our life would have been for naught.

Upvote 0

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is what i gather he is talking about in John 12:25.

what this scripture is talking about is referring to making Jesus as your Lord and Savior and putting worldly things second in your life. without making God your Lord and Savior means that you will not be with God when you die.

Christ died to himself so he could produce much fruit here on earth. what is being shown us is that Jesus gave up all the worldly things in his life in order to follow God and to do his will. when we get rid of that which is tying us to this world and give ourselves to God then this will allow God to work his mighty power within us.

for God created everyone with a purpose and how we use those gifts God gave us are up to us. but people who are not doing what God designed them to do will become bored of life, depressed, ad ect. these people are usually the alcoholics, drug addicts, because life is so disappointing to them. i know of no one who are alcoholics or drug addicts or ect that happen to enjoy what they do in life. what God wants you to do is give up what you want in this life and God will show you things and do things for you that will blow you away.

Upvote 0

elizabeth451

American Patriot
Dec 7, 2011
Colorado
✟7,678.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think this might have something to do with the bad translation from the original greek into english. Im willing to bet that the word hate there does not mean hate the way we know it nowadays. I would agree with DMMullinax and addo as to the more accurate meaning.

Dont take my word on this though. :)

• Informative
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure the Greek is going to help you. The word typically implies hostility. The most detailed lexicon claims that in passages like this it implies not a feeling of hatred, but renunciation. I.e. giving up selfishness. I believe that's right. But I think Jesus is using hyperbole to make a point, as he often does.

Upvote 0
J

Jeneshisu

I've always seen abrahamic religion as something of an ascetic faith. Depriving yourself of worldly pleasures and whatnot. I've also seen that abrahamic religion seems to be designed for people who are suffering. A lot of passages in the bible suggest that those who are suffering and misfortunate are entitled to greater blessings at one point or another for their tribulation. It's akin to the idea of karma in other faiths.

But to me, it looks like another verse that would empower those who are unhappy and hurting.

While that's great, I don't think people should be content with being unhappy like it is a good thing.. that is destructive.

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He saying that we shouldn't love this world and this life so much; otherwise we won't be able to let go of them and we subsequently "die." It's not meant to empower the suffering; it's meant to warn those bound to earthly possessions and the like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

itlivesinthere

Apologist
Mar 20, 2012
Edgewood, KY
Visit site
✟15,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Christ is saying that you should live your life selflessly for others. This means serving God and not your own sinful desires. Luke 9:24-25 talks about how selfish men will lose their lives (spiritual) and that it is foolish to trade eternal life for temporary pleasure on earth.

Upvote 0

JeromeLuke

Oct 28, 2012
✟7,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lets leave it simple and complex.

John12:25 He who loves his life in this world shall lose it, but he who hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal.

in 1 john we learn that we should not love the world because it offers: physical pleasure, craving for the eye & pride for achievements & possessions

If you love the world for those standards, Ex. lust of the flesh, adultery, glorifying your self for your successes you will perish.

BUT if you hate the world and do not like your life in it you shall keep it to life eternal ( Now think & reflect on what i said & you will get it)

God bless

Upvote 0

Godzila

See, I make all things New!
Apr 2, 2008
Las Vegas
Visit site
✟16,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you're not suppose to be loved by this world. and you're not suppose to love this world because this place is cursed with death.

Also verses that talks about satan himself being the ruler of this earth, and if you ever look around you, the beast system is about to be revealed.

Upvote 0

JeromeLuke

Oct 28, 2012
✟7,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you're not suppose to be loved by this world. and you're not suppose to love this world because this place is cursed with death.

Also verses that talks about satan himself being the ruler of this earth, and if you ever look around you, the beast system is about to be revealed.

You are exactly right.

And the Lord said to satan,"from where do you come?" So satan answered the Lord and said, "from going to and fro on the earth, and walking back and forth on it" Job 1:7

Remember satan knows the bible too.

Upvote 0

tbogunro

Sep 30, 2012
DeKalb, IL
✟15,867.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does John 12:25 mean?

"He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal."

What exactly does this mean? It's something that's confused me for quite a while now. One of the things I struggle with most is wondering whether I view the world the right way or not. If I enjoy life and love living and even love the world (aka nature, art, music, entertainment, etc.) does that make me a bad Christian? There are things about the world I dislike, but I don't walk around spitting on it anyway. Should I?

Are we really supposed to have hate in our hearts? Since I came to Christ I've felt that love is important and that we should try to think positively, be grateful, be happy, and love other people and things. Of course we're not supposed to love sin, but that goes without saying. Still, am I doing it wrong if I don't hate the world & life?

(Sorry, I know I'm always posting with these questions, but I want to have other people's input because I really have no other person to talk to about it.)

Losing your life is putting God 1st above EVERYTHING :). You do that then God gives you more than you thought you gave up for him.

For example after Jesus's death Peter on the boat fishing saw Jesus on the shore. He was fishing all night and barely caught anything but He jumped of the boat and swam a longggg way to shore. When He got there to hisbsurprise he saw Jesus already had a bunch of fishes cooked already. What is the Bible trying to show here? It looked like Peter left his few fishes and they might have escaped but leaving his fishes/life for Jesus, he basically didn't lose anything but gained more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FutureLife

Heavy Thinker
Jun 19, 2013
NY State
✟15,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have experienced this verse for myself, But I don't know if that's what it means......Ever since thinking with a Christian mind, My life has become depressing and I really hate my life because of the way the world is. I desperately want to leave this earth this very moment.

Jesus wants us to be willing to suffer for him. If we have to give up something that makes us happy for example. I had to be on a Christian "diet" when it comes to life. I am limited in this world with what I can do, that makes me suffer. That's what it means to me

Upvote 0

raybo

Sep 27, 2016
New South Wales
✟15,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Losing your life is putting God 1st above EVERYTHING :). You do that then God gives you more than you thought you gave up for him.

For example after Jesus's death Peter on the boat fishing saw Jesus on the shore. He was fishing all night and barely caught anything but He jumped of the boat and swam a longggg way to shore. When He got there to hisbsurprise he saw Jesus already had a bunch of fishes cooked already. What is the Bible trying to show here? It looked like Peter left his few fishes and they might have escaped but leaving his fishes/life for Jesus, he basically didn't lose anything but gained more.
Yes but lost his life for the sake of the gospel to the point of being crucified upside down.
( Foxes book of Martyrs)

Upvote 0

GinaKJV

Jul 12, 2017
Venice, FL
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it means exactly what it says, which brings me a lot of comfort, because most days I live in anxiety of all the evil going on. I feel guilt for having been so blessed when so many people are suffering. It breaks my heart all the people and especially the children who are being decieved by the devil, and being taught to accept absolute FILTH as normal. I can barely read the news these days because it upsets me. I have no one in my close circle who takes the Word of God seriously. When I start talking about how we're living in the end times, they think I'm nutty and every thing is just fine, and I need to stop over exaggerating how wicked things are getting. This is a long story short, but hating my life is not so hard to do in 2017. I'm ready for Jesus to come. Amen.

Upvote 0