What did Jesus mean when he said "If you love me you will keep my commandments?"

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about the 4th Commandment, the seventh day Sabbath?
My family keeps it... as do many others. It isn't easy... the world is geared around keeping us from it, which should remind you (at least it reminds me) who (or what) is behind the world system.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My family keeps it... as do many others. It isn't easy... the world is geared around keeping us from it, which should remind you (at least it reminds me) who (or what) is behind the world system.
Amen!

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I believe, and this may differ a little with what the SDA's believe (not sure) is that each Feast points to work that messiah would do. From Passover (redemption) to Tabernacles (the Wedding Supper), each Feast gives us broader insight into his work. The first Feast mentioned in Lev. 23 is the Sabbath. 6 days we work and on the 7th we rest... and that points just like all the other Feasts do, to work that has, is, or will be done. In this case, I believe it points to the coming Kingdom... where we have worked and decayed and died for 6000 years and then there will be 1000 years of peace.

Many Christians say we don't have to do these things because they are but shadows (all the while doing communion which is also a shadow, but I digress :) ) yet the fall Feasts and the Sabbath are still pointing to work that has not been done yet, in full anyway.

Blessings... from an ex-east coaster. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We believe that the feasts have been fulfilled and that the seventh day Sabbath was a sign of covenant between God and His people, that we recognize the Creator through the day He blessed and sanctified at creation.

We also believe that the 1000 years will be the redeemed saints in Heaven with Christ, having the books of record opened to us to vindicate the Justice of God in the strange work God will do after the 1000 years are expired. We will understand why those that we thought were saved were not a part of the first resurrection and must be dealt with according to the judgement.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
footnote random: just think HOW MUCH a man will DO, great lengths and sometimes any cost, how much time and ENERGY (HIS WHOLE HEART!)
he might exert
for a woman he loves.
or even , ick, for the military as if patriotic , 'laying down his life for country',
then every week, sometimes very very punctually , put $3.00 in the plate... 'for the one who created everything and sustains all life and sent his only begotten son to die in our place, for our sins, to redeem us, to atone for our sins....

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between commandments and teachings... yes, the teachings or principles you listed are in agreement with the spirit of the covenant Commandments... the Decalogue given at Mt Sinai, which were never rescinded by Christ.

The first four give the framework for our love to God and the last six is the framework for our love for each other. Jesus expounded on the Law but this in no way nullified it or changed it. In fact, Jesus said that He didn't come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. In teaching us the finer points of what the Law (letter) was intended as (spirit), Jesus indeed fulfilled the Law in exalting it as was originally intended, but greatly misunderstood by the Jews.
When he said "fulfill", I juxtapose that against "extend". I believe he fulfilled the law, much as exercising a purchase in a "lease with option to purchace" fulfills the contract. And it is no longer a lease.

We can eat pork now. :)

Mmmmmm. Bacon...nom, nom, nom.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He means that faith requires works, commandments. Faith without works is not faith.

Reading the gospels, you find his commandments.
I don’t think this is true at all.

Jesus said the most important commandment He left us with is to love God with all our heart mind and soul.

Love should be our motivation

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I guess (for some) they feel comfortable committing other sin also. This is after all the message of the world and the doctrine of demons: sin, sin, wherever you may be, i am the lord of your soul says he ...

Whoever someone obeys, that is their God or god.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We can eat pork now. :)

Mmmmmm. Bacon...nom, nom, nom.

Where do you get that from scripture? Are you using Peter's vision of clean vs unclean? Why do you think pork was forbidden from God's people? Was God just being arbitrary? Or could He have mentioned it because it is good for our health? Google taeniasis and trichinosis...

All the unclean animals and shellfish are scavengers and are more likely to carry disease...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think this is true at all.

Jesus said the most important commandment He left us with is to love God with all our heart mind and soul.

Love should be our motivation

To love God with all our hearts was also given to the Israelite's in the OT ... so was loving our neighbour. These were just a synopsis of the Decalogue.. the first 4 are loving God with all our heart and the last 6 are loving our neighbours.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you get that from scripture? Are you using Peter's vision of clean vs unclean? Why do you think pork was forbidden from God's people? Was God just being arbitrary? Or could He have mentioned it because it is good for our health? Google taeniasis and trichinosis...

All the unclean animals and shellfish are scavengers and are more likely to carry disease...

I get all that. Peter's vision is part of it, as is this: Mark 7:19 Lexicon: because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We will understand why those that we thought were saved were not a part of the first resurrection and must be dealt with according to the judgement.
This might be true and valid about some time in the future still,
but also it seems the truth is already known,
albeit not as clearly as it will be when their sins are shown to everyone openly, and everyone will without argument accept their judgment (there is no recourse, no appeal after death, and no one will dispute their judgment but will see it as perfect and righteous and just) .

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
(Thus He declared all foods clean.)
.... uh, huh...... wishful thinking there.....

(unless understood what "food" for Yahweh's People is and is not)

Remember what is in the heart is what a man is judged by,
and so if men willingly disobey Yahweh's Word, from the heart, and willingly teach others to disobey,
that is why they are judged.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

and so if men willingly disobey Yahweh's Word, from the heart, and willingly teach others to disobey,
And this
Colossians 2:21-23

Christians also don't tithe. They give.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is the thing: This was settled in m mind and heart a LONG time ago. It is clearly discussed in Romans 14:1-6 and I defer to it.

The ONLY reason for abstaining from ANY food is if I am told it was sacrificed to idols or to honor the tyranny of the weaker brother. http://www.popc-cville.org/Romans.pdf

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
to honor the tyranny of the weaker brother.
haha.....
or explain 'tyranny' of the weak in faith, Scripturally without causing someone weak in faith to stumble.

as far as what is settled or unsettled.... < shrugs > defer all you want....

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
When he said "fulfill", I juxtapose that against "extend". I believe he fulfilled the law, much as exercising a purchase in a "lease with option to purchace" fulfills the contract. And it is no longer a lease.

Most magisterial Protestants and evangelicals would see it that way, traditionally, as well. The Law for a Christian believer has an entirely different function than the Law for a Jew. What was once a sacramental system now serves as a mirror to show us our dependence upon grace, to contextualize what grace looks like in a sinful world.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What was once a sacramental system now serves as a mirror to show us our dependence upon grace, to contextualize what grace looks like in a sinful world.
I haven't yet seen this work truly, Scripturally or effectively anywhere.
Just the opposite apparently. (it has led to more and not less sin)

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is the thing: This was settled in m mind and heart a LONG time ago. It is clearly discussed in Romans 14:1-6 and I defer to it.

The language they used was in keeping with what they knew and believed. Almost all the early converts were Jewish and so would not of even considered anything that was Biblically unclean to even be food. If I said to you lets go have a burger, you're not going to expect I will give you a squid burger or a tarantula burger, right? I don't have to because we are of the same culture and to us a burger is beef.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0