What did Jesus mean when he said "I have fulfilled the law"?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually, it could be kept, just like the 'do not run red lights' laws can be kept, (remember Jesus said the commandments are NOT burdensome)
but it cannot FREE anyone from sin or the power of sin - rather it reveals sin and YHWH'S PURPOSE is TORAH leads TO CHRIST.
It could be kept, but not free people from sin...?

Isn't that a little contradictory...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
YHWH and YESHUA perfectly gave TORAH, permanently.
They did not change "IOTA", not one tiny part of TORAH.

And as for "his/her" in this context , that is a corruption that goes along with an abominable society and with cults opposed to YHWH.
I only put it the way I did, cause I am not yet of the line of thinking that anyone besides Jesus can keep the law perfectly to me, right now, but was aware some do not think that way, and is why i put it the way I did...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It could be kept, but not free people from sin...?

Isn't that a little contradictory...?

God Bless!

More than a little. It makes no sense at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus fulfilled the law by never breaking it, being holy as God is holy. we are made holy by being in Christ and He in us, 2Cor5:21 and He who knew no sin became sin that we might be made righteous of God in Him. Therefore the law was our schoolmaster to lead us to Christ that we be justified by faith. Now under the new covenant we are to follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit, Gal 5:16 live in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the desires of the flesh. Gal 5:26 if we live in the Spirit let us walk in the Spirit. That is under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
So, the Old Covenant law no longer has a place after that...?

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, it could be kept, just like the 'do not run red lights' laws can be kept, (remember Jesus said the commandments are NOT burdensome)
but it cannot FREE anyone from sin or the power of sin - rather it reveals sin and YHWH'S PURPOSE is TORAH leads TO CHRIST.

Good Day,

You are confusing categories of “law” the principle of the “running red light” speaks to a judicial law that is open to be modified as it is based on man’s understanding of what is deemed to be “good” and safe and carries a judicial weight in society.

The law given to the Hebrew nation was under a covenant of two agreeing parties and within that had stipulations for both. This “law” was establishment of a theocratic nation of the Hebrews and related directly to the covenant made for that explicit purpose for the Hebrew people.

I hope you can understand the distinction and see how such categories help in explaining such applications…

No man can love the Lord God with all our hearts, mind and soul all the time. God knew this from the get go… what a great promise a better covenant, the best mediator… you will no longer teach to your children , for they will all know me. I will write my Law on their hearts and not on stone, I will put a new heart with in them (cause), I will be their God and they shall be my people (Effect). God knows exactly what he needed to do as to achieve the results he wanted in doing so he glorified.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Matthew 5:17 Jesus says:

"Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to destroy but to fulfill."

So, how exactly did Jesus fulfill the law? Was it because Jesus kept the law perfectly? If the law is fulfilled by Jesus how do we now keep the law? By loving our neighbor? Discuss.

Just my humble opinion here, but I think Jesus said "fulfill" to mean two things. The first is that He fulfilled all prophecies about the Messiah told in the Old Testament. The second is that he followed the Law flawlessly, which no other man could ever do.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God gave the law to show man he could not keep it (no one but God can do what is required). Yeshua fulfilled the Law, having become the the Atonement for our sin.

The OT peoples looked forward to the day of atonement by the Kinsman-Redeemer Yeshua (on the cross) as the Sacrificial Offering acceptable by the Almighty. (We look back to the cross, they looked forward since He hadn't come yet.) They did this by offering the sacrifices as God spelled out in the Law. After Yeshua ha Meshiach atoned for sin, no longer was the Law necessary as He fulfilled the requirements for atonement, once and for ALL. :prayer:

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, the Old Covenant law no longer has a place after that...?

Good Day, Neogaia

It is a school master it has a purpose... it is pasted away read Hebrews we have a better covenant, build on better promises... and does objectively save people.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

"Do not think I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to destroy but to fulfill."

So, how exactly did Jesus fulfill the law? Was it because Jesus kept the law perfectly? If the law is fulfilled by Jesus how do we now keep the law? By loving our neighbor? Discuss.
Romans 13
8 Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this word, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: love therefore is the fulfilment of the law.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus fulfilled the law why did he tell us to keep the law in John 14:15?

Good day,

I do not think Jesus's commandments are the same as the Law given to the nation of Israel.

Later a "law" of Christ is used by Paul, and I can assure you that is nothing like the national law of the Hebrews in the old covenant.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

I do not think Jesus's commandments are the same as the Law given to the nation of Israel.

Later a "law" of Christ is used by Paul, and I can assure you that is nothing like the national law of the Hebrews in the old covenant.

In Him,

Bill

Can you list the verses of the new law then? Did Jesus just mean if you love God you would love others?

• Agree
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Good day,

In Him,

Bill
It is, or they are the same commandments, that is just difficult for us to see...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you list the verses of the new law then? Did Jesus just mean if you love God you would love others?

Good day, MM

There is no "list" we are not list doer's how do we fulfil the law of Christ?

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Did you watch the video... I posted?

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good day, MM

There is no "list" we are not list doer's how do we fulfil the law of Christ?

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Did you watch the video... I posted?

In Him,

Bill

I did not get the chance to watch it yet. I am watching tv right now.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

'Fulfill' is a Jewish idiom which means 'to do.' Here are several examples taken from Jewish literature. The earliest is from the Mishnah:

Midrash
Midrash Rabbah - Exodus 30:22

22. Another explanation of NOW THESE ARE THE ORDINANCES. Both the heathen and Israel have judges, and you do not know what difference there is between both. It can be compared to a sick man whose doctor paid him a visit and then said to the family: ' Give him to eat whatever he wants.' When he came to the other, he left word: ' Take care not to let him eat that and that thing.' When he was asked, `The first, thou didst allow to eat whatever he wishes, and the second, thou didst forbid certain things,' his reply was: `The first has no chance of recovering; for this reason did I allow him to eat what he fancies; but the second will yet live and therefore did I command strict caution in his diet.' Similarly the heathen have judges, but neither study the Torah nor fulfil it, as it says, Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and ordinances whereby they should not live (Ezek.XX, 25),1 but with regard to the commandments it says, Which if a man do, he shall live by them (Lev. XVIII, 5).

Exodus Rabbah 40:1

R. Hoshaya said: Anyone who has knowledge but lacks the fear of sin, really has nothing, just as a carpenter who has no tools with him is not a real carpenter; because the bolts which guard learning are the fear of sin, as it says, And the fear of the Lord is its treasure-house (Isa. XXXIII, 6). R. Johanan said: If one knows the Torah but does not fulfil it, it were better for him that he had not been born,

Numbers Rabbah 3:12

He was called Kohath for this reason: You read: If the iron be blunt (Eccl. X, 10), which means, if you perceive that the heavens have become `blunt' and refuse to send down rain, having become like iron- as you read: 'And I will make your heaven as iron'-be assured that it is as a punishment for the non-observance of the Torah; for it is written, And one do not whet the edge (ib.), that is, because they did not fulfil the commandments of the Torah which was given to them by God face to face-as you read, The Lord spoke with you face to face, etc. (Deut. V, 4)

Numbers Rabbah 11:1
The wise shall inherit honour (Prov. III, 35) applies to Israel who are called wise when they fulfil the Torah and the commandments; as it says, Observe therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding, etc. (Deut. IV, 6)

Deuteronomy Rabbah 1:21

The Rabbis say: Moses declared before God: `Master of the Universe, just because the Gentiles have not been commanded to observe the Sabbath, wilt Thou show favour to them if they do observe it?' God replied to him: ' Do you really fear this? By your life, even if they fulfil all the commandments in the Torah, yet will I cause them to fall before you.' Whence this? Because the text says, BEHOLD, I HAVE BEGUN TO DELIVER UP BEFORE THEE.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 7:4

TO OBSERVE TO DO ALL HIS COMMANDMENTS (XXVIII, 1). R. Simeon b. Halafta said: If one learns the words of the Torah and does not fulfil them, his punishment is more severe than that of him who has not learnt at all.

Deuteronomy Rabbah 11:6

Halachah: When a Jew goes up to read the Law, he is not permitted to commence reading it before he has recited the blessings. First he must recite the blessings and then he reads. And thus Moses, when he had the privilege of receiving the Torah, first recited a blessing, and then he read it. R. Eleazar asked: What was the blessing which Moses recited before reading it? [It was], Blessed art Thou, O Lord, King of the Universe, who hast chosen this law and sanctified it and hast found pleasure in them who fulfil it. He did not say, ' in them that labour at it,' nor, ' in them who meditate in it,' but, ' in them that fulfil it,' that is to say, in them who carry out the words of the Torah.

Numbers Rabbah 10:8

For thus have the Sages said: Keep away from a small sin lest it lead you to a grievous one; run to fulfil a small commandment, for it will lead you to an important one.

Talmud
Chagigah 4b

Samuel went and brought Moses with him, Saying to him: Perhaps, Heaven forfend,21 I am summoned to Judgment: arise with me,22 for there is nothing that thou hast written in the Torah, which I did not fulfil.

Arachin 22a

R. Papa said: The paying of a debt is a commandment and [minor] orphans are not obliged to fulfil the commandment.

Mishnah

AVOT 4:9

R. JONATHAN SAID: WHOEVER FULFILS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY, HIS END [WILL BE] TO FULFIL IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH; AND WHOEVER DISCARDS THE TORAH OUT OF [A STATE OF] WEALTH, HIS END [WILL BE] TO DISCARD IT OUT OF [A STATE OF] POVERTY.

Some people use the word 'fulfill' to mean 'finish.' This is not the meaning from within a Jewish religious context about the Torah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0