What did Jesus mean when He prayed that we would be one in John 17:21?

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus prayed, "That all of them (His disciples) may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one—I in them and You in Me—that they may be perfectly united, so that the world may know that You sent Me and have loved them just as You have loved Me." John 17:21-23

With the thousands of differing doctrines and countless denominational entities it is difficult to understand how this was ever part of Jesus' plan or design for His Church. If this is true, why are there so many who are okay with the divisions and divisiveness between those who claim to be in Christ?

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus prayed, "That all of them (His disciples) may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one—I in them and You in Me—that they may be perfectly united, so that the world may know that You sent Me and have loved them just as You have loved Me." John 17:21-23

With the thousands of differing doctrines and countless denominational entities it is difficult to understand how this was ever part of Jesus' plan or design for His Church. If this is true, why are there so many who are okay with the divisions and divisiveness between those who claim to be in Christ?
There is only one " Church" and that is The Body of Christ. Denominations are of men. Blessings.

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only one " Church" and that is The Body of Christ. Denominations are of men. Blessings.
Amen, so where should I go? There are so many churches in my town alone. Why, if there is only one "Church?"

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟103,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Therein lies the difficulty, which doctrines are true and which aren't. Are you free to selected among the legion of denominations which is true and which isn't, because one tickles the emotions and the other doesn't? How do you know it is true? Is it just a good vibe? Or is it that all truth simply relative; that is what is true for me may not be true for you (or vice versa).

This isn't the only place in scripture were perfection is asked for - seems to be a pretty tall order. What does it mean to "be perfect"? "Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect." [Matthew 5:48].

JoeT

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Therein lies the difficulty, which doctrines are true and which aren't. Are you free to selected among the legion of denominations which is true and which isn't, because one tickles the emotions and the other doesn't? How do you know it is true? Is it just a good vibe? Or is it that all truth simply relative; that is what is true for me may not be true for you (or vice versa).

This isn't the only place in scripture were perfection is asked for - seems to be a pretty tall order. What does it mean to "be perfect"? "Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect." [Matthew 5:48].

JoeT
Why do you think so many doctrines exist when there is only one Way, Truth, and Life?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?
Matthew 18:
I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done
for them by My Father in heaven.
20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Intimacy with Messiah is anchored by the intimacy we attain with others of like faith.
Discerning
His Will by submitting ours to the Lord. If relationships are nothing more than
"the blind leading the blind", then watch out for the ditch. The state of the world and religion
is never an excuse to not seek, find, and perform the Will of the Father.

Romans 12:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your
bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?
Matthew 18:
I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done
for them by My Father in heaven.
20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Intimacy with Messiah is anchored by the intimacy we attain with others of like faith.
Discerning
His Will by submitting ours to the Lord. If relationships are nothing more than
"the blind leading the blind", then watch out for the ditch. The state of the world and religion
is never an excuse to not seek, find, and perform the Will of the Father.

Romans 12:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your
bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Thank you for your valued insight!

• Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think so many doctrines exist when there is only one Way, Truth, and Life?

The answer is simple - The Church was born into an intensely hostile environment and was under spiritual attack from day 1.

Deceiving spirits were sent to confuse and sow contention.

Satan hates the church - make no mistake about it.

However when believers gather together in unity with Jesus the words of John 17 are fulfilled - healing breaks out - love reigns - the Kingdom of God is manifest.

Sadly this is rare but there are pockets of life - earnestly seek this and He will lead you to it. Who knows - He may use you to encourage unity, bring healing and impact the world for good.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It was the Gospel of the Kingdom of God and not man that tied everything together. The church rapidly moved away from that in order to re-establish man's kingdoms. That Gospel was abandoned almost from the start once the gentiles took over (as God knew it would). How often do you hear the Gospel of the Kingdom taught today?

Matthew 20:25But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; 27And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer is simple - The Church was born into an intensely hostile environment and was under spiritual attack from day 1.

Deceiving spirits were sent to confuse and sow contention.

Satan hates the church - make no mistake about it.

However when believers gather together in unity with Jesus the words of John 17 are fulfilled - healing breaks out - love reigns - the Kingdom of God is manifest.

Sadly this is rare but there are pockets of life - earnestly seek this and He will lead you to it. Who knows - He may use you to encourage unity, bring healing and impact the world for good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟177,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Great question, here's how I see it

In the early church, the gentile congregations in the gentile regions weren't following most parts of the law.
When Paul meets with James in Jerusalem he is told that there are many Jewish believers who are zealous for the law.

How can both of these groups exist in the same body of Christ, and the apostles not seem terribly concerned about the different opinions?

I think unity in the body revolves around walking in Love, and then accepting other people in their differing opinions.

For example, when I read your opening post, I felt an immediate affinity towards you, since I sensed in you the same Love for the body. But if we started studying the Bible together, we might find that we differ on a great many points :smile:

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That of course is the problem. The divisions post reformation are absolutely fundamental on almost every aspect of doctrine there are groups that believe in mutually exclusive doctrines eg salvation : only one can be right of “ once saved always saved” “ saved but can lose it” or “ not saved till the end and the just judge decides” . The rest have a fundamentally flawed doctrine.

Paul warns us that profaning the Eucharist is serious “ some are sick, some have died” yet the views of the Eucharist are profoundly different, and we see it is a life and death matter “ to be raised up at the last day”

Matthew 24 : 14 gives the answer , that the gospel will be preached till the end of time. So there is no period of apostasy.

Jesus states his church will be one, and the devil will not prevail, so why the assumption of apostasy?
I urge all to Look for the enduring church that is and was “ the foundation of truth” a physical church because that is the meaning of “ household of God”

So the answer is go back to the start, the true church doctrine and church is that which endured.

John taught his disciples that there was a Eucharist of the real flesh valid onky if performed by a bishop in succession, and to profane it was serious. Bar nuances in the meaning of the mystery of the real presence That was taught all the way to the reformation by almost all, and a majority since.

So why do groups not respect it, and substitute their own meaning?

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Carl for this heartfelt and concise answer to a difficult question for so many. I was truly blessed as I read your response. My prayer is for unity in the Body of Christ, true unity and not human reasoning or compromise. With man I believe this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. If we were all to let go of our own thinking and let the Lord give us His mind, I do believe we would all unite as one, just as those in the early Church did in Acts chapters 2 & 4.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
the Gospel of the Kingdom of God
The Gospel of the Kingdom, and the resurrection from the dead has been replaced with dying and
going to heaven, which I am pretty sure predates Christianity. Every people around the world have
some sort of afterlife belief. The Gospel of the Kingdom is both in this age, and the one to come,
with a resurrection and day of judgment in between.
"reasonable service" [Romans 12:2] has been replaced with grace only, i.e. "just waiting to die
and go to heaven, don't mind me".

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was the Gospel of the Kingdom of God and not man that tied everything together. The church rapidly moved away from that in order to re-establish man's kingdoms. That Gospel was abandoned almost from the start once the gentiles took over (as God knew it would). How often do you hear the Gospel of the Kingdom taught today?

Matthew 20:25But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; 27And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your insight and truth Timothyu. I too believe that mankind has forgotten the essence and simplicity of the gospel and has replaced it with human doctrines and beliefs just as the Jewish followers did so many years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Carl for this heartfelt and concise answer to a difficult question for so many. I was truly blessed as I read your response. My prayer is for unity in the Body of Christ, true unity and not human reasoning or compromise. With man I believe this is impossible, but with God all things are possible. If we were all to let go of our own thinking and let the Lord give us His mind, I do believe we would all unite as one, just as those in the early Church did in Acts chapters 2 & 4.

Beautiful...

I agree 100%

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That of course is the problem. The divisions post reformation are absolutely fundamental on almost every aspect of doctrine there are groups that believe in mutually exclusive doctrines eg salvation : only one can be right of “ once saved always saved” “ saved but can lose it” or “ not saved till the end and the just judge decides” . The rest have a fundamentally flawed doctrine.

Paul warns us that profaning the Eucharist is serious “ some are sick, some have died” yet the views of the Eucharist are profoundly different, and we see it is a life and death matter “ to be raised up at the last day”

Matthew 24 : 14 gives the answer , that the gospel will be preached till the end of time. So there is no period of apostasy.

Jesus states his church will be one, and the devil will not prevail, so why the assumption of apostasy?
I urge all to Look for the enduring church that is and was “ the foundation of truth” a physical church because that is the meaning of “ household of God”

So the answer is go back to the start, the true church doctrine and church is that which endured.

John taught his disciples that there was a Eucharist of the real flesh valid onky if performed by a bishop in succession, and to profane it was serious. Bar nuances in the meaning of the mystery of the real presence That was taught all the way to the reformation by almost all, and a majority since.

So why do groups not respect it, and substitute their own meaning?

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well said, and I thank you for your insight. I am in full agreement that in the end, we will fully understand the answers to all of these questions. Mankind has been disobedient from the very beginning, and this will go on right up until the new heaven and earth are in place. Thank you!

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great question, here's how I see it

In the early church, the gentile congregations in the gentile regions weren't following most parts of the law.
When Paul meets with James in Jerusalem he is told that there are many Jewish believers who are zealous for the law.

How can both of these groups exist in the same body of Christ, and the apostles not seem terribly concerned about the different opinions?

I think unity in the body revolves around walking in Love, and then accepting other people in their differing opinions.

For example, when I read your opening post, I felt an immediate affinity towards you, since I sensed in you the same Love for the body. But if we started studying the Bible together, we might find that we differ on a great many points :smile:

Upvote 0