What did Jesus look like? a few questions.

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Isaiah 53:2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

This is the only biblical verse I know of on how Jesus looked

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Would He have had long hair or short hair?

Can you please provide as much data as possible on this? Thank you

Also, can someone please explain 1 Corinthians 11:14-15.

Thank you.

How about medium. I don't think I've ever seen a statue or picture of someone with a crew cut. I'd take "long" in 1 Cor 11:14 to be shoulder-length. So I'd assume he would have had something between. I doubt the typical pictures with very long hair. I also doubt the typical robe. There are web sites for most of the Roman legions, which discuss clothing both for the army and others around them. My understanding is that Jesus would have worn a knee-length tunic. See the picture of the Roman tunic at Tunic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'd guess that picture is closer than the typical one of Jesus. However he would have looked Mid-Eastern.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Can you please provide as much data as possible on this? Thank you

Also, can someone please explain 1 Corinthians 11:14-15.

Thank you.

We have had long, long threads on 1 Corinthians 11:15 (e.g. http://www.christianforums.com/t7657982/).

I'm not sure we need another one...

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
We have had long, long threads on 1 Corinthians 11:15 (e.g. http://www.christianforums.com/t7657982/).

I'm not sure we need another one...

We didn't need that other one either. I mean, sheet. All that hot air and walls of text over there. I got 2 pages into that and had more than enough. You must be kidding me. Good grief. Sheet.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That's just...wow :doh1: do people really need to go that far?

Yes. The Klingon Language Institute has a project to translate the Bible into Klingon. However only a few books of the Bible have actually been finished.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like Paul's addition of "Judge for yourslves" in verse 13 says it all. It is completely socially relative. If society deems it okay and not contentious, then so be it. Right now, I can have dreads that reach my heels and it would be awesome. Or I could be bald and it would be awesome. Everything is permissable, but not everything is profitable.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are three basic theories/pictures on what he looked like:
jesus.jpeg

jesusface1.gif

jesusface.jpg

The far left one is the one most people think he looked like. The center one is based on the shroud of turin. The last one is based on realistic ideas of what people from where he was born looked like. You can take your pick. I grew up being told he looks like the first one. Do I believe that? I don't know. I think we tend to make him looks 100% perfect, but we forget he was in human form. So he may have looked like everyone else.

It doesn't matter to much to me because when I die I get to see what he did look like.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read this book about a 4-year old boy's experience in heaven, seeing Jesus, the angels and more while in a comma. It was believable, describing things that his parents never taught him that were confirmed in the Bible. What was amazing is that His father was curious as to what Jesus looked like and so he set out to find every historical painting of Jesus, showing his son to see if any of them were correct and Colton would always say no ... until his father heard about this prodigy child who had visions of heaven since she was four years old (with atheist parents btw) and she painted these visions. At eight years old she painted Jesus. So he found the portrait and showed his son and so have a look:
realistic painting of Jesus by akiane kramarik «

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
jesus.jpeg

jesusface1.gif

jesusface.jpg

The far left one is the one most people think he looked like. The center one is based on the shroud of turin. The last one is based on realistic ideas of what people from where he was born looked like. You can take your pick. I grew up being told he looks like the first one. Do I believe that? I don't know. I think we tend to make him looks 100% perfect, but we forget he was in human form. So he may have looked like everyone else.

It doesn't matter to much to me because when I die I get to see what he did look like.

I feel like the one in the middle seems the most realistic. I don't know why but i just have a hard time thinking he looks like the 3rd one. Oh well it really don't matter.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟14,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like the one in the middle seems the most realistic. I don't know why but i just have a hard time thinking he looks like the 3rd one. Oh well it really don't matter.

It probably looks more realistic because it's closer to the depictions that we've seen. I believe that Jesus was plain in appearance, and lean more towards something like the third picture. "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him." Isaiah 53:2. People thought that He could never be a king because He was just an average looking guy from a nowhere town called Nazareth. Though I do agree that people could probably see a lot more if they looked Him in the eyes.

Upvote 0

Mcrfan343

Jesus Freak for life.
Feb 22, 2012
Lovely state of North Carolina
✟15,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well he was Born in Bethlehem, Israel (West Bank in modern times), so he must be Jewish. He was a carpenter, so he may have a well fit body. And he did had a beard and long hair. That's pretty much all we know.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I pick #3 with longer hair.

jesus.jpeg

jesusface1.gif

jesusface.jpg

Upvote 0