Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Cappadocious. I'm sorry, I don't know the history of such details or even know that such questions exist in some cases. I appreciate you bringing this up.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is difference between human and Divine minds. In Christ there is both. One is limited, the other omnipotent. We cannot comprehend what it is to have a Divine mind. How much more shall we comprehend how a person can possess both, and what that may be like? We do know that that human mind is not the Divine mind. There is no basis by which anyone can resist the real human nature in Christ, except to confuse it with Divine nature of the Word. There is a difference, and the two natures remain distinct and perfectly in tact in their connection with the Person of the Word.
The best I can understand, this seems to make sense in line with how I've read (admittedly limited) the Fathers to speak of the Trinity.

However, I've also found that I can misunderstand the depth of a question because I have an imperfect understanding of the basis of a theology, or the way a word is used, etc. And truly, I think I would rather understand things in as simple of terms as possible.

But at any rate, this seems to make sense, and explain things - somewhat.

I will have to keep reading. I didn't realize quite how deep this question could be and how much it affects other things within the realm of what we believe about God. I've just gotten slower about approaching things this way (lack of time) and preferring to focus otherwise.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
All we need to remember is that the Word of God became a real human being. We must be skeptical of anything from anyone that gives us the sense that this is being challenged. "As we have said before, so say I now again, if any man preacheth unto you any gospel other than that which ye received, let him be anathema."

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All we need to remember is that the Word of God became a real human being. We must be skeptical of anything from anyone that gives us the sense that this is being challenged. "As we have said before, so say I now again, if any man preacheth unto you any gospel other than that which ye received, let him be anathema."
Which takes me back to the beginning. It was precisely such explanations which don't ring true.

At any rate, as I said, my focus has been shifting over nearly a year. It's beautifully simple really - all we really need to do is to seek to know Christ.

Old habits die hard though.

Thanks, Cappadocious. :). As always. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One person in two natures. The one Divine nature which is without limitation or change. The human nature that Christ, by willing it, is subjected to limitation and change. It is precisely possible for a human nature to experience a loss of communion with Divine Life. That is what occurred on the cross and is expressed with "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?" God the Word was able to experience such a thing by virtue of the humanity that he had added to His person. He was also able, because "the Word became flesh" to not comprehend certain matters, a limitation that is natural to a limited capacity of human comprehension. It is not possible for man to rationally comprehend God's providence. Since the exact times are determined in Divine ways that are beyond the reach of human capacity for comprehending, a man cannot know exactly what will happen, when it will happen, or why it will happen. There are even answers that our minds cannot even formulate questions for, because these minds of ours are not designed thus. The Divine nature owned by Christ remains always in the "bosom of the Father". The human nature assumed by the Word and the limitations willingly endured are also a natural property that is owned by the Word. Hence, the Word is capable of all knowledge and of human ignorance because existing in both Divine and human natures. The Word became flesh while also remaining Divine. The Word can experience limitations of a human creature because He became one and chose to experience all that the others of our species do, even loss of communion and death.
Thank you for noting that reality, as many continue with the assumption that this was not believed by non-Chalcedonians and it has persisted DESPITE others stating plainly where they never supported the concept insisted on by others claiming people believe in monophysitism....

Upvote 0