What did Babylonian Mystery Religion look like during Jesus' time on earth?

Feb 5, 2019
new jersey
✟9,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What did the Babylonian Mystery Religion look like during Jesus' time? There are claims that this religion has led to the corruption of the faith, for example, Catholicism. This all came from the tower of Babel and mystery school. I just would like backing to know if this is biblical and if so, was it still around during Jesus' time on earth? Thank you!

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What did the Babylonian Mystery Religion look like during Jesus' time? There are claims that this religion has led to the corruption of the faith, for example, Catholicism. This all came from the tower of Babel and mystery school. I just would like backing to know if this is biblical and if so, was it still around during Jesus' time on earth? Thank you!

Babylonian mystery religion was not Babylonian mystery religion but Babylonian mystery religions.

They were a collection of religions, some similar to others, some different. The practitioners of those religions kept the specifics of their beliefs secret, hence they were "mysteries". The closest analogy in modern times is the Freemasons. While Freemasonry is not a religion, they only divulge their practices to their initiates.

The most common mystery religion of new testament times was gnosticism. The gnostics claimed to have "secret knowledge" they only divulged to their members. Gnosticism is harshly condemned repeatedly in the new testament with some referred to as antichrists, and with Paul warning Timothy against it:

copyChkboxOff.gif
1Ti 6:20 - O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane andidle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge—

Those mystery religions have nothing to do with the Catholics. That is an accusation made by heretics. It's primary source is The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop. Hislop attempts to paint the Roman Church as a Babylonian mystery religion but only stumbles along and in the end inadvertently condemns all of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have recently come across Chris Whites mystery Babylon videos. He makes an intriguing case that it might be Israel. Revelation draws heavily on OT terminology and prophecy, and he makes a strong correlative case between the language used for the harlot and the language used for Israel throughout the Bible. I wouldn't bank on any one view but there does seem to be a real possibility there. He also says the earliest church fathers believed that, though I can't verify that.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Babylonian Talmud may have something to do with it:

Babylonian Exile - New World Encyclopedia
"Many of the exiles, finding themselves in comfortable circumstances, assimilated into Babylonian society in ways that concerned the pious among them. Ezekiel denounced such men as "a rebellious house," and parts of the Book of Isaiah written during exilic times likewise expressed concern over the adoption of Babylonian traditions (Isa. 65:3). "

Messiah contended with the scribes and Pharisees, who may have been members of the mystery religions.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For those who believe in a connection between a supposed Babylonian mystery sect and Roman Catholicism, we might consider a few things.

Are you able to explain how this sect got to Rome to influence the Papacy? Did it influence other Christian Churches along the way or only the Roman Church? Why not the eastern Churches as well?

Are you able to use primary sources and not just modern sources which claim these things?

Are you able to explain how the Mystery cult and it's beliefs actually affected the doctrines of the Catholic Church better than other explanations?

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the modern denominations, including Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Baptist, etc, have a taste of the root of old pagan religions in them.

I recently read "Pagan Christianity" by Frank Viola. Many rituals and routines all of these denominations regularly engage in have pagan roots and were not modeled by the apostles in the New Testament church.

An obvious example is the beautiful edifices we call "churches"; they were absolutely not part of the New Testament church. Another example is clergy vestments. Another example is the Lord's Supper, practiced the way most churches observe it now. Another example is today's laity's lack of participation in the using of their gifts during the time of worship. Clergy was not elevated then like it is today. And so on...

If you are interested in the topic of pagan religions vis a vis Christianity as observed by the apostles I'd encourage you to order that book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You won't find anything from the earliest Christians, even centuries in, giving any evidence that their faith was being slowly corrupted by Iraqi paganism.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Simply put, the idea of a "Babylonian Mystery Religion" isn't a thing that ever existed, it's based upon the imaginative claims of Alexander Hislop in the 19th century. Hislop didn't base his ideas on anything factual or historic, he made them up by pulling them out of his own head.

Actual Babylonian religion was similar to other forms of religion from Mesopotamia, and shared their pantheon with other Mesopotamian empires and kingdoms, such as Sumeria and Akkad. The patron god of Babylon was Marduk; powerful cities in the ancient near east often had patron deities and Babylon was no different.

When the coalition of Medes and Persians conquered the Neo-Babylonian Empire they introduced a system of religious tolerance, though the Persians were Zoroastrians. It was under this system of religious tolerance that Cyrus gave his edict which allowed the Jews to return to Judea and had Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple rebuilt under the satrap Zerubbabel (a satrap was a Persian governor). Under Persian toleration people continued to worship the various gods they had before, even though Zoroastrianism was effectively the state religion, or at least it was the religion of those in power.

Some of the old Mesopotamian and Levantine traditions continued among Pagans; and even would eventually receive a some kind of Hellenization initially after the conquests of Alexander the Great who expanded his empire from Macedon to the doorstep of India.* So a blend of Hellenization, Persian, and Mesopotamian religious traditions were practiced throughout the Middle East, and those ideas which did filter west among the Greeks also became part of the fabric of Roman life when Rome conquered the eastern Mediterranean. This is how the Indo-Iranian god Mitra became the Roman Mithras.

In Jesus' time there were Greco-Roman mystery religions, cults of devotion to various (and often "exotic", at least by Greek and Roman perspectives) gods. Roman opinion of these "mystery religions" varied, but there was a tendency to view them as dangerous--Rome was generally pretty open to anyone worshiping whatever god(s) they wanted, but what Rome really wanted was allegiance to Rome, and the public participation in Roman religious life. The mystery cults by their very nature as being somewhat secretive made Rome suspicious. It was precisely this kind of suspicion that often made Christians targets of Roman persecution, because early Christians were seen as suspicious and dangerous, Christians refused to acknowledge the Roman gods, refused to offer incense to Caesar, didn't participate in ordinary Roman public activities (such as the Roman Games), and were thus seen as traitorous and seditious. The usual charge Rome made against Christians was that they were "atheists" and "haters of mankind", these were the charges that usually were used to justify the imprisonment and execution of Christians.

But as far as some kind of "Babylonian Mystery Religion" there was no such thing. The mystery religions that did exist were Greco-Roman ones, cults of devotion dedicated to specific gods, such as Dionysus, Mithras, and Cybelle.

Which is further why the whole claim that Catholicism has some sort of "Babylonian" anything is pure unfiltered hokum; as I said in the beginning of my post it's based on the false claims of a single guy who had precisely zero evidence to back anything he said up. He made it up.

-CryptoLutheran

*This is mostly speculation and inference I'm making here. I don't know enough to make a strong case, but I speculate and infer that, given the blending of cultures that happened that there would have been a highly diverse and cosmopolitan religious environment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Babylonian Talmud may have something to do with it:

Babylonian Exile - New World Encyclopedia
"Many of the exiles, finding themselves in comfortable circumstances, assimilated into Babylonian society in ways that concerned the pious among them. Ezekiel denounced such men as "a rebellious house," and parts of the Book of Isaiah written during exilic times likewise expressed concern over the adoption of Babylonian traditions (Isa. 65:3). "

Messiah contended with the scribes and Pharisees, who may have been members of the mystery religions.

No.

The Babylonian Talmud is called such because it was put together by the Jewish Rabbinate that had fled to Mesopotamia after the Jewish-Roman War and the Bar Kochba Revolt--the Romans kicked the Jews out and away; and the Jewish rabbinical authorities considered it necessary to write down and codify the Mishnah and Gemara in order to protect and preserve Jewish religion for future generations. The Mishna and Gemara together make up the Talmud.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How did it come about that they share the same headgear as the RC authorities?

They don't, first of all. The zucchetto and yarmulke are not the same "headgear". They are superficially similar because they are both skullcaps, and skullcaps have been a common form of every-day head covering for all sorts of people throughout the ancient world.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They don't, first of all. The zucchetto and yarmulke are not the same "headgear". They are superficially similar because they are both skullcaps, and skullcaps have been a common form of every-day head covering for all sorts of people throughout the ancient world.

-CryptoLutheran

Oh okay...so no connection between the ruling hierarchy of Rabbinic Judaism, Roman Catholicism, and Islam?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay...so no connection between the ruling hierarchy of Rabbinic Judaism, Roman Catholicism, and Islam?

Uhhhh not unless you believe Jack Chick

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The only educated scholars that believe Christianity was influenced by mystery religions tend to believe all Christianity was influenced by the pattern of mystery religions common in the near east, specifically in Paul's theology. And the people who criticize Rome on this point tend to not themselves have a religion that resembles much that these scholars would see as deriving from Jesus, anyways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums