What could having an atheist in my bible study group reveal about it in general?

Ramirez122

Aug 30, 2019
Amman
✟9,404.00
Country
Jordan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a fairly new Christian who has been invited to participate in this church and its activities. I have been around for about a year and something always felt really weird. I didn't feel like I belonged but I thought that was because I was around people whom I'd never choose to be around, though now I'm getting really skeptical about whether they are "safe" or spiritual rather than religious so to speak. The most puzzling thing about them was that they always welcomed this atheist who would come around all the time explicitly speaking out against things he finds ridiculous in what is being said. It obviously annoyed most other members, yet they seem to let him pass on with his remarks. He seems to be friendly with a few other members in the congregation and perhaps that is why they let him hang around. Why he comes, however, nobody knows. I asked around and it seems nobody knew exactly why he comes by to listen to the message spoken when he is so obviously not changing his mind about faith in Jesus. I'm starting to wonder about my church in general. I don't know if this is a sign it is weak and impersonal in members' lives or not. I am aware that no church is perfect and that we're called to join one regardless but I keep hearing stories about people realizing they have chosen the wrong church - in the sense that they would contribute to theological knowledge but not spiritual growth - and always wonder if I'm doing the exact same thing not only for this reason but for many other signs I'm observing. How can one really tell?

Reactions: Daniel Roth

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That atheist may be the most honest in the lot. It is easier to pretend and say what others expect than admit your doubts and fears. Platitudes are plentiful in the church but when adversity arrives they fall aside. You can’t pep talk your way to faith.

Pray for him. Only God knows His heart and His work begins on the inside.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... I keep hearing stories about people realizing they have chosen the wrong church - in the sense that they would contribute to theological knowledge but not spiritual growth - and always wonder if I'm doing the exact same thing not only for this reason but for many other signs I'm observing. How can one really tell?

You have already realized that you are in the wrong church.

That is, assuming that the church leadership is aware of the problem you have explained to us concerning this Bible Study group.

And that's just one thing. I see that you also say you have picked up "many other signs" of weaknesses in that church.

So it is time to look at other churches.

• Winner
Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a place for order and discipline in the church. If he has been coming frequently for nearly a year and he still seems to have an agenda of agitation, then he should not be welcomed. A church is not an Internet forum. It is a place of evangelism, worship, fellowship, and a true sanctuary to many. If all he seeks is to exert a negative influence, then he is out of order. He cannot be disciplined according to church policy if he is not a member, but he can be kindly invited to seek amusement elsewhere. The Holy Spirit is alive and well and will not forsake his case until he has sufficiently grieved Him. And you should, of course, pray for him, which should not be hard to persist in if the church are of a mind to love an enemy, if need be. But God is not pleased to have His church mocked and exploited for one man's enjoyment. There are, no doubt, delicate and weaker souls whose experience is imperiled by the failure of the church elders to address this problem. As far as your participation is concerned, I would say that as church-hopping is very popular today, it should be avoided whenever possible. If you have endured this situation for a year, your strength might be just what is needed to help those who are weaker. You have my deepest sympathy and prayers. I have seen this kind of thing destroy whole churches. We had a man who used to come to church every week dressed in a black suit, carrying a briefcase, and would ignite a brutish argument at the drop of a hat. I dressed him down summarily one day during the Bible study hour when he mocked the remarks of an old gentleman who literally built the church he was sitting in. He was completely unfazed and his influence eventually split the church bitterly in two. As you can see, we have differing opinions already. Fortunately, LaBella and I are chums from way back. lol

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
Most of my friends are either atheists or agnostics but are largely apathetic to ideas of God, and those who aren't look at people like myself with some pity, as if I'm holding onto some crutch of a bygone age in this new modernist era of reason. That person might actually think he's doing good as being a counter to that circle, making people critical of their narratives or even liberating them from their faith. I mean it will certainly force you to live out 1 Peter 3:15 having them about.

I find that I also atheists have me reflect upon more own morality more. Case in point, both Kali and myself help out at a soup kitchen on Thursdays. Kali is an atheist though, she has no hope beyond death, she knows only this world and demise here after. She doesn't do it for social clout or any direct reward and how she engages and speaks to the down and out demostrates she really cares for her fellow man.

She does good because it is good to do. She reminds me how I should behave, not to advertise myself as virtuous or expect reward for my morality but for the sake that it is a righteous.

I'm not attending church regularly I fear, it's something I'm trying to ammend in the near future if I can arrange my rosters as such, so I can't really comment on church dynamics.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have seen this kind of thing destroy whole churches. We had a man who used to come to church every week dressed in a black suit, carrying a briefcase, and would ignite a brutish argument at the drop of a hat. I dressed him down summarily one day during the Bible study hour when he mocked the remarks of an old gentleman who literally built the church he was sitting in. He was completely unfazed and his influence eventually split the church bitterly in two.

This extract from D.A. Wright's post above reminded me of a humorous story told by my old Presbyterian Pastor. He remarked one day in a sermon that he never targeted a sermon at anybody, and if we found that a sermon "hit home" in some way, well, it was up to us to sort it out with God. But he admitted there was one glorious exception.

At some church in the past there'd been a bloke in his congregation who was causing trouble. A lot of trouble. So the pastor gave a sermon and it really was aimed right at this individual.

After the service was over this particular bloke came up to the pastor at the front door as they all filed past, shook his hand very warmly, and said "Brother! That was a great sermon!! It was just what THEY needed!!"

The pastor thought God was giving him a hint about not aiming sermons at anybody in particular. It doesn't work.

On the question of the atheist, a major problem for the OP (Ramirez122) is that he's a new Christian by his own admission. The presence of the atheist would be trying, but at the same time the objections he raises could be noted by the OP, and later he could quietly do a bit of research to find answers. Or perhaps talk to the pastor, and voice his concerns, and also ask questions.

I'm Catholic now, but way back in my early days as a Christian in the Presbyterian Church, we used to have a Pet Moonie, who hung around and tried to convert us to the cause of the Rev Syung Moon, whom I suspect is now paying for his deceptions. He didn't have much effect, and I remember one young lady saying it was like having a pet around the place. He was a nice enough bloke, and I hope he got himself sorted out in the end.

It's up to the OP - either learn to ignore the atheist, or take on the challenges he poses, or go to another church. But don't lose your faith over it.

Upvote 0

Callusa

Sep 16, 2019
Wien
✟9,040.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 86:11 "Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth; unite my heart to fear thy name"

Bible study group is a place to read and feed upon Gods truths.

Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
I Peter 2:1‭-‬3

That being said there's plenty of great arguments online or simple truths that atheists can't respond to.

The problem is, atheist believe in hilarious stuff, and they always beg me to accept it, you refute it but really some or most are intellectually lazy to read or examine the facts, it usually turns out a battle of winning an argument. But they never learn or investigate, usually, if you want to find out the truth, you search for it and on the way accept the facts and build upon truth and make a conclusion. Only you yourself can convince you, or God's miracle. If OP atheist is intellectual dishonest than it's a pointless thing that he comes at all.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What the OP problem here shows is that one there in the group (or maybe others too) are not real "born again" believers, so such a group should be avoided. The group needs to be defined for Bible study or a Gospel meeting, so if a stranger shows up the subject should change to a Gospel meeting.

There are many Godly Christian groups one could meet with for Bible studies if this one does not get real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Roth

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
Toronto
✟27,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a fairly new Christian who has been invited to participate in this church and its activities. I have been around for about a year and something always felt really weird. I didn't feel like I belonged but I thought that was because I was around people whom I'd never choose to be around, though now I'm getting really skeptical about whether they are "safe" or spiritual rather than religious so to speak. The most puzzling thing about them was that they always welcomed this atheist who would come around all the time explicitly speaking out against things he finds ridiculous in what is being said. It obviously annoyed most other members, yet they seem to let him pass on with his remarks. He seems to be friendly with a few other members in the congregation and perhaps that is why they let him hang around. Why he comes, however, nobody knows. I asked around and it seems nobody knew exactly why he comes by to listen to the message spoken when he is so obviously not changing his mind about faith in Jesus. I'm starting to wonder about my church in general. I don't know if this is a sign it is weak and impersonal in members' lives or not. I am aware that no church is perfect and that we're called to join one regardless but I keep hearing stories about people realizing they have chosen the wrong church - in the sense that they would contribute to theological knowledge but not spiritual growth - and always wonder if I'm doing the exact same thing not only for this reason but for many other signs I'm observing. How can one really tell?

Listen to your gut. I wouldn't participate in that one.

Upvote 0

Daniel Roth

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2019
Toronto
✟27,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That atheist may be the most honest in the lot. It is easier to pretend and say what others expect than admit your doubts and fears. Platitudes are plentiful in the church but when adversity arrives they fall aside. You can’t pep talk your way to faith.

Pray for him. Only God knows His heart and His work begins on the inside.

Agreed. I don't believe anyone is atheist. They are just mad at dad, kicking the furniture (borrowed that saying).

Upvote 0