Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I Believe Jesus is The Chief Cornerstone, and in AD70 He ground the disobedient Jews to powder when the Owner of the Vineyard came to miserably destroy those wicked men, Just a Jesus Promised them would happen (Matthew 21:33-45)

I Believe Jesus Came as a thief to those in the First century Church at Sardis who were not watching, again, Just as Jesus promised He would. (Revelation 3:3)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A belief that is controversial is one that is regarded by most of the professing Christian world as not true thereby causing controversy, contention, or debate. It is a belief that most professing Bible believing Christians would not agree with as a whole; But what is popular is not always the gauge by which we determine the truth in God's Word.

Anyways, here is what I believe the Bible teaches (that is controversial by most professing Christians):

#1. Sola Scriptura (The Word of God is our spiritual authority alone; No other outside book, or church has any authority to add to what the Bible says; There are many Christian groups who would disagree with this teaching in God's Word).

#2. The KJV is the perfect Word of God for our world today (But I agree with using Modern Translations to help update the Early Modern English (i.e. the 1600's English) that is in the KJV. Also, I believe the Word of God existed perfectly throughout time in the language of Hebrew, Greek, and Latin (before English became a world language). The alternative position is to believe the Hebrew and Greek are perfect or that no translation was ever perfect. This is a problem because it means we cannot trust our Bible plainly in the English today. We all have to become Hebrew and Greek experts in order to just read and understand God's Word. But I see nowhere in the Bible where God requires us to study another language just to understand Him. In Acts 2, God was more than capable of translating people's own languages so that they could all understand each other.

#3. A Person Must Be An Expert Translator in Modern Greek In Order to Translate Any Part of What the Bible Says in Biblical Greek (i.e. A person needs to know how to translate a page in English into Modern Greek with the people of Greece agreeing with that translation before they can offer any opinion on what the Bible says in Biblical Greek). For I would not let a doctor work on my car. They are not qualified. Why would I let a person who does not know how to write or speak Greek fluently among the people of Greece to translate something for me in the Bible? They are just guessing. But even if a Christian were to know Greek intimately and tried to give me their interpretation on the Bible, I do not know how to speak and write Greek (like an expert does) so as to verify if what they are saying is true or not.

#4. Dualistic Conditional Immortality (Hell is a real place that a person can experience consciously as described in the Story of Lazarus and the Richman, but I believe it is not a torture chamber. I believe the richman was tormented by the heat of the flame in the great gulf fixed between him and Abraham. I also believe it possible that there may be long periods of time of sleep (or unconsciousness) for the wicked in hell); In addition, I believe that after the Judgment: The devil, his minions, and all wicked people will be annihiated or erased from existence in the the Lake of Fire, which is also called the "Second Death." It is called the "Second Death" because it is relates to the "First Death."). Now, I used to believe in Eternal Torment for a long time (But the moral aspect of it never sat right with me). For a time I believed in both Eternal Torment and Conditional Immortality as both being a possibility. But after studying the Scriptures more, I had come to realize that Eternal Torment is not only immoral, but is also unbiblical (big time), too. For the word "forever" does not always mean "forever." (See Philemon 1:15).

#5. Conditional Salvation. This is the teaching in the Bible that says that believers have free will and they have a free will choice to walk away from God or to commit serious sin and separate themselves from the Lord. Believers are told to overcome in their faith so that they may receive the crown of life. Scripture is full of warnings to the believer to keep in the faith and not to fall away. Most today believe in Eternal Security, which is the teaching that a believer cannot out sin the grace of God or that a believer is somehow magically forced to generally live a holy life. In Eternal Security: Dying in one or two serious unrepentant sins is not all that big of a deal for God because He can still save them despite them doing such evil. This is wrong (of course). There is no initial fear of God (in a believer's early walk) in this type of belief. The statement in Scripture that says, "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling" (along with many other verses) is regulated as useless background noise if one believes in Eternal Security. Hundreds of verses have to be twisted and ignored if one ignores the Bibe's teaching on Conditional Salvation. There are only a small select verses that suggest Eternal Security, and all of these verses are easily refuted by looking at the context (i.e. the surrounding text). Also, Eternal Security cannot be made into a real life example (or parable). Jesus and even the Canaanite woman were able to make parables (or real world examples) to express spiritual truth. But this cannot be done with Eternal Security (For it has to ignore morality or God's goodness in order to make it work).

#6. Sinless Perfectionism (or Entire Sanctification). The idea of overcoming sin in this life is offensive to some believers for some odd reason. They think that a believer by the power of God working in them to overcome their sin (in this life) is simply not possible. Yet, Scripture is full of many verses that tell us about being "perfect" and to "sin not" or to "sin no more." God says in His Word, "Be ye holy, for I am holy." This really does not make any sense in light of thinking we will be slaves to our sin here on this Earth. God does not want us to be a defeated people, but He wants us to have the victory (So as to glorify Him and not ourselves). For Jesus says we can do nothing without Him. Hence, which is why with God, all things are possible. Important Note: Please take note that not having reached a state of Sinless Perfection does not mean one is not saved. Paul says his goal was to be perfect. Also, the Parable of the Tax Collector is not in conflict with Sinless Perfection. God's grace is how we are initially and ultimately saved. For if a believer sins, how do they get clean? By doing a good work? No. By going to Jesus Christ and confessing their sin (i.e. God's grace). The Parable of the Tax Collector is talking about a new believer's struggle with sin or a believer's lapse back into sin temporarily in their goal of striving to overcome sin one day. The problem is that the Pharisee did not repent towards God of his sins. Hence, why he was not humble. He did not receive God's grace by crying out to God.

#7. Believers Currently Today (Who Die) Go to Abraham's Bosom (Paradise). It is Only After the Pre-Trib Rapture Takes Place is When Believers Will Then Go Directly To Heaven or God's Kingdom (When They Die); However, the Final Destination For All Believers is not Heaven, But It is the "New Earth" Whereby Believers Will Live with God in a Sinless Paradise For All Eternity in Physical Flesh and Blood Bodies.

#8. In the Pre-Trib Rapture, Believers Will Receive New Spirit Bodies (Similar to the Body of Angels). In the Millennium and the Eternal New Earth: Believers Will Then Receive Flesh and Blood Bodies. There is no such thing as bloodless glorified half physical and half spiritual type bodies (As many Christians teach today). Many Christians think that Jesus did not have any blood anymore when He returned after His resurrection. This is just not true.

#9. Jesus Had Power As God During His Earthly Ministry (In Addition To Suppressing His power of "Omniscience" (i.e. to Have all knowledge) So As to Be Like a "Man"). While I believe Christ suppressed His Omniscience to be a "Type of Adam" who was limited in knowledge, I believe Jesus also had power as God during His Earthly ministry, too.

(a). Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead.
(b). Hebrews talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
(c). Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later.
(d). Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life.
(e) Jesus had power to take away the sins of the entire world.
(f) Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them. This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
(g) Jesus received worship as God.​

So Jesus is God; Not in name only but in power, as well.

#10. Old Testament Saints Were Born Again Spiritually. The term in the Old Testament is called "Circumcision of the Heart."

#11. Believers Today Are Required to Follow the Commands in the New Testament and not Commands in the Old Testament. The Word "Law" in the New Testament (By itself) is not a reference to "all Law" (or the Commands or Laws in the New Testament) but it is in reference to Old Testament Law.

#12. House Fellowship Is The Model of Gathering Every Week With Other Believers (Only). Unbelievers Were Not Invited to Such Things. Evangelizing Was Done By Going Out To People's Houses (Usually in Groups of Two).

#13. Serious Sin is Separation From God.
Adam, Ananias, Sapphira, the Prodigal Son, the widows in 1 Timothy 5, and Simon are just a few examples.

#14. Not All Sin is the Same.
There are unforgivable sins, and there are sins that lead unto death and sins that do not lead unto death.

#15. Being Born Again of Water is Talking About Being Born Again By God's Holy Written Word. Being born of water is not talking about human birth or water baptism.

#16. New Testament Pacifism.
Jesus and His followers never taught how we are to wage war or to fight with our physical hands. On the contrary, Jesus and His followers taught the exact opposite. Granted, the Old Testament does teach that believers can wage war, etc. But the Old Testament is another Covenant (that is no longer binding). Also, it is true that Jesus will return as a conquering king (using violence), and the saints will follow Him; But these are disembodied saints (who have already lived out their faith here upon the Earth).

#17. The Nephilim.
Many Christians I think are just too freaked out by the idea that giant hybrid demonic men (Who are the offspring of demons and human females) can exist.

#18. Young Earth Creationism.
This is the belief that God created the Earth and the Universe in 6 literal 24 hour days. Many today believe in a form of Theistic Evolution.

#19. Jesus made unfermented wine (Freshly Squeezed Grape Juice) and not a fully fermented wine (Alcoholic Wine). Please take note that I believe a Christian does have a liberty in Christ to drink, but I simply think it is not profitable for them. Hence, this is the reason why I am "Abstentionist" and not a "Prohibitionist." The wine symbolizes Jesus's blood, which is the pure blood of the grape that is holy and undefiled. Alcoholic wine is a type of leaven and leaven represents "sin" in the Bible. Yet, Jesus was without sin. This is but one of the many reasons why the wine Jesus made was unfermented wine (Grape Juice) and not fermented wine.

#20. God hates the sin and not the sinner. Granted, this does not mean we can sin and still be saved. This also does not mean that God cannot be angry with sinners, either. This means that God ultimately loves all of His creation and desires them to repent and do good (Even when He knows they may not do so). For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son. Jesus said to the Father to forgive those who were crucifying Him because they knew not what they were doing. If God hated the sinner or the wicked, He would wish that their was to perish or to be destroyed. But this is not the case. God wishes and desires all men to repent because He ultimately loves them; For God is love; And not hate. For God sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rob84

Apr 25, 2016
Alabama, USA
✟18,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I voted "other" because I don't really know where to start or how to explain myself, but I'll try.

I live in the Bible Belt, specifically East-Central Alabama. Thinking here is very closed off lots of times. I feel like people that figuratively (and sometimes literally) slam their fist on the table listing off everything they believe is right and true while everyone else is "misguided," "doesn't quite understand," "just ignorant," etc., and especially "isn't a true Christian" are are very dangerous people. The belief that many people in our churches are dangerous zealots that can't see that for themselves is viewed as very controversial. At least it is around here.

Upvote 0

MJ Bond

Apr 19, 2012
✟18,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Controversial beliefs? I have plenty of them. I'll mention a simple one. I believe some parts of the bible have been edited or taken out, and not just because of Revelation. "I testify to everyone who hears the words of prophecy in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

I keep quiet about things like this. Us Christians really aren't any better than anyone else, and we just fight over our beliefs like everyone else. That's what the enemy wants though, instead of loving each other like we're told, we just go around like "my truth is the best and everyone else is a liar."

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I was curious what all controversial beliefs are held here on CF so I decided to make a poll about it. Please do not debate the issues themselves, but if you want to reply with what you voted, please feel free.

There are some that I don't really know what they are (full preterism and open theism?), but ticked the pre-marital sex, same-sex relationships, ordination of women, and other - heck, there are probably loads of controversial beliefs I hold, but specifically I'm not convinced that the Word ofvGod and the Bible are the same thing. Which to me isn't particularly controversial, but I know some people would disagree with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshhuntnm

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
✟23,474.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Heaven and Hell could be the same place--a place we could call the manifest presence of God. For those who have come to love God, being in His presence will be pure joy. For those who spent their life trying to get away from God, there will be no place to hide. It will be hell for them and Heaven for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

RAnonUS19B

Christian
Feb 27, 2014
USA
✟9,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I chose "Other" for fairly obvious reasons. I am a "Gnostic Christian", although I share quite a bit of beliefs with main-stream Christianity, I have a massive library of Controversial beliefs in the Christian Community. I don't care to name them all, or It would be difficult too, in which case Ill list the top three most controversial beliefs I have.
  1. I do not recognize the "God of the Old Testament" as the true God, but rather Jesus' spoke of an entirely different God, as the differences between the Old Testament, and the New Testament are too massive to appear logical. But the "Old Testament God" is still entirely real, I would describe him as the manifestation of the opposite of the True God/Original God.
  2. I accept many non-canonical books that have been rediscovered after thousands of years to be true, and have shown us the true words of Jesus' and the Apostles.
  3. I believe that "Magick" in itself is not evil, or opposition to Jesus', but rather that the "Magick" that the Bible speaks about is "Magick" or "Science" used to harm others, as long as It doesn't affect others I would agree that it is fine.
These are the three main controversial beliefs I have, but I have many more that I would prefer not to speak about at this time.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I voted none. I believe in the Holy Bible and believe it should be our guide during this short life here on earth. Some people actually consider this to be controversial.
I have to agree. We should go with what has actually been revealed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It always dangerous to assume your views are always the views of the Bible. That's where it gets controversial.
Considering the OP @TX_Matt wanted this to be a vote and explain and not debate other posters, I would consider the above 'debatable.' :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I voted none. I believe in the Holy Bible and believe it should be our guide during this short life here on earth. Some people actually consider this to be controversial.

I believe the original poster had self professing Bible believing Christians as a whole in view to what was controversial. Atheists do not believe in Preterism, and other such doctrines, etc.

Also, there are a lot of Christians who believe in Sola Scriptura (Which is controversial to many Christians) but there are other doctrines many Christians believe in (in addition to Sola Scriptura) that are still controversial among the whole of those who profess to be a Bible believing Christian.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are some that I don't really know what they are (full preterism and open theism?),

Not sure about Open Theism, but Full Preterism is the Belief that all Bible eschatology found it's fulfillment in the events leading up to and including Jerusalem's 70 AD destruction, and that we today are living "beyond the end times".

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good points Albion. Much of that list above would be controversial in one denomination but not in another. For example it is controversial NOT to support women clergy in the UMC.
In this forum on CF "Controversial Theology" refers to non-Nicene. Some, not all of what @TX_Matt listed are considered 'controversial' by CF but not all of them.

Here's the sub-forum statement of purpose:

Controversial Christian Theology Statement of Purpose

Welcome to Controversial Christian Theology forum. This is a forum for discussion and debate of unorthodox, non-Nicene Christian theology. This forum is open to Christian's only, including both Nicene (orthodox) and non-Nicene (unorthodox) Christians. Please refer to our faith groups
list for clarification. This forum is not intended to be a "safe haven" for members who hold unorthodox Christian beliefs. Unorthodox Christian beliefs are those that are contrary to the Nicene Creed, which CF has adopted as the Statement of Faith for the forum.

Non-Nicene unorthodox Christian topics may only be discussed in the Controversial Christian Theology forum. Non-Trinitarianism may only be discussed in the Christianity & World Religion
forum and the Debate Non-Christian Religions forum. The non-Nicene, unorthodox Christian topics which may discussed in this forum include (but are not limited to):
  • Universalism
  • Open Theism
  • Full Preterism
  • Annihilationism
  • Gnosticism
Faith groups and individuals that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation whereby He, as God, took on human flesh (becoming fully God and fully man in one person), are considered non-Christians at CF. Posts that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation are considered non-Christian theology and are not allowed in "Christians Only" forums. Discussions in all "Christians Only" forums must be in alignment with Trinitarian beliefs.

Challenging Paul's position as an Apostle of Jesus Christ who (although not one of the original twelve) was sent forth by Christ after his conversion [
Acts 9:15-16], or arguing against the inclusion of Paul's writings in the New Testament canon, is not allowed in any "Christians Only" forums (including the Controversial Christian Theology forum). You may disagree on the interpretation and application of his writings, but not their place as canon or Paul as an inspired author of Scripture..

*Please note: this forum does not allow discussion or debate of Mormon or Jehovah's Witness religious beliefs. Please discuss Mormonism and/or Jehovah's Witness beliefs in the Christianity and World Religions
forum.

Guidelines for Posting in the Controversial Christian Theology Forum

We realize that our Nicene and non-Nicene Christian members have significant differences of belief regarding Christian Theology that will be discussed in this forum. Please remember that this is not an area for promotion of unorthodox beliefs, but it is also not a place to take shots at those who hold them. It is a place for outreach and discussion on topics of controversial unorthodox and speculative Christian theology.

Those holding unorthodox Christian beliefs may not tell Nicene Christians that they are not Christians. Nicene Christians may say that unorthodox beliefs are not traditional, foundational Christian beliefs if they do so in manner that shows why unorthodox beliefs are at odds with orthodox Christian Theology.

Nicene Christians may not accuse non-Nicene, unorthodox Christian members of not being Christians. This is a place for Nicene Christians to explain why they hold controversial unorthodox theologies to be in error, and for non-Nicene Christians to defend and explain their unorthodox Christian beliefs. Discussion and debate which points out why controversial Christian theological beliefs are in error in the context of an explanatory post in a civil, but potentially forthright way, is not considered a violation of the no flaming or goading rule.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A millennial reign of Christ,
Not so controversial as this is clearly in the NT (OT too) and believed by the apostolic fathers (I.e. Irenaeus and a few others). It was not until the 3rd century such views were considered error.

Upvote 0