What considered to be a adultry for singles?

HRDJ

Jul 23, 2017
Washington DC
✟39,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have only been a Christian for a couple of years and I haven't read the Bible completely. I understand that married couples should not even think of other men or women in any sexual desire because it is considered 'cheating' even thinking about it.

Then what about singles?
What about a single imagines another single opposite sex in a sexual way?
Does it consider to be cheating because that person is still thinking about someone who is not his/her spouse or it is okay?

Can singles have a sexual desire for another single person?
Would that be considered as lust?
What is a lust and what is an attraction, then?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then what about singles?
Does it consider to be cheating because that person is still thinking about someone who is not his/her spouse or it is okay?

It is called fornication, and is just as sinful as adultery.

Upvote 0

HRDJ

Jul 23, 2017
Washington DC
✟39,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is called fornication, and is just as sinful as adultery.

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge, but isn't fornication mean sex? So even thinking about sexual images of another single person as a single person is considered fornication?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have only been a Christian for a couple of years and I haven't read the Bible completely. I understand that married couples should not even think of other men or women in any sexual desire because it is considered 'cheating' even thinking about it.

Then what about singles?

Adultery is about the special relationships in our life. We adulterate a relationship when we allow anything into our lives that muddies the water of that relationship. Clearly a single person that lives a life that leads to the adulteration of their (future) marital relationship, or any other special relationship for that matter (i.e. kids), because of the negative consequences of that way of life is committing an act of adultery against their relationship.
I myself have been grossly guilty of this sort of act and so my special relationships suffer and can only expect to be unadulterated in the light of the complete redemptive work of Christ Jesus. But we have a ways to go. My advice? Don't go there.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what about singles?

Sure you can desire and lust. These emotions cause one to
desire a lasting relationship. A committed relationship
is where those feelings belong. Without commitment you
get anguish and heartache.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both adultery and fornication are lustful, not being faithful in spirit. Immorality of sin begins with what is in our heart, either it's God's spirit or not. If not, we're lead by the lust of flesh, apart from God; when we're lead by the love of spirit, in part with God.

The union of God as Christians is as his children, being brothers and sisters in spirit; which is in his Son who we're to follow. If we followed this example as men and women, living in spirit of God's union being one in us and us in him; we'd give ourselves to each other in spirit, marriage is an extension of his union as brother and sister. So sex outside of marriage is unfaithful to God, as it's not in his spirit.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Then what about singles?

The New Testament addressed the Christians having sex with the pagan temple prostitutes. That was considered Spiritual adultery. It was considered turning away from the Christian God, to the goddess Aphrodite, etc.
Sex between 2 single people is not addressed because in that time in that part of the world the males were married between 16-18 years of age and the females 14-16 years of age.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The word "lust' in scripture means strong desire. Christians lust after righteousness which is good. Lust is a sin when the desire is for something that is sinful. For example, if you want to sleep with your neighbor's wife but don't do it because she's not interested in you then you are sinning because you are willing to act contrary to God's will.

Attraction just means you like the way someone looks and is not a sin.

I know many would consider that a sin but I wonder if imaging getting married and enjoying a honeymoon with another single person is really a sin since you're not desiring anything sinful.

Upvote 0