Gold Coast
✟51,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, so I had a big question that keep coming up on my walk with Christ. By what laws do we live under? Do we follow the 10 commandments? or do we live under the law of love which is Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself? From what I know, is that when we do those 2 we following Jesus commands. Could anyone provide some clarity? Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Jh24

A brother in Christ
Mar 8, 2019
Gold Coast
✟51,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, so I had a big question that keep coming up on my walk with Christ. By what laws do we live under? Do we follow the 10 commandments? or do we live under the law of love which is Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself? From what I know, is that when we do those 2 we following Jesus commands. Could anyone provide some clarity? Thank you
Here is what I mean

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

As believers we are not under the Law. This is what Christ said and is recited at Mass every Sunday:

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” - Matt 22:38-40

This is what we can live by

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those of us in the Spirit Yeshua, live by the Spirit and by doing so put to death the deeds of the flesh. Romans 8

Now it is true that if we are living by the Spirit we will do things that have been commanded by the written law because the law is good and shows us the will of God. But it is also true that the law is powerless to bring about good.

So listen to Him. Be instructed by the commandments but follow His leading in each and every action (and heres a hint: He will never instruct you or anyone else contrary to His commands).

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Every commandment in the Law of God hangs on the two great commandments of loving God and loving your neighbor- so it is not an either/or matter. Every commandment in God's Law is instruction on how to properly love God and your neighbor.; God's Law defines His love. Every last bit of moral instruction in the Bible is for us to follow then. Otherwise Scriptures like 2 Timothy 3:15-17 could not be true: "15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

There were ceremonies, rituals, and holy-days in the Old Testament for Israel which were only holy and right by God's appointment; not because they were inherently holy and right. And when it comes to such things there was a release of gentile Christians from having to follow these things (otherwise we would all need to be circumcised and practicing the rituals of Judaism). This release was done carefully and is seen in Acts chapters 10, 11, and 15. Even in these things, shadows of New Covenant realities, we still need to have the substance of them in Christ instilled in our hearts. As gentile Christians we need not be Jews outwardly, but we must be Jews inwardly. A true conversion to Christ grafts one into the Israel of God to partake of the promises of Israel's Messiah whose faith is founded upon Jewish principles and the foundations of His church are faithful Jewish men.

Key Scriptures to consider here: Matthew 5:17-18: "17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Romans 3:29-31: "29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

Romans 8:3-4: "3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Romans 15:8-10: "Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers: 9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name. 10 And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people."

Ephesians 2:10-20: "10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. 11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone"

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every commandment in the Law of God hangs on the two great commandments of loving God and loving your neighbor- so it is not an either/or matter. Every commandment in God's Law is instruction on how to properly love God and your neighbor.; God's Law defines His love. Every last bit of moral instruction in the Bible is for us to follow then. Otherwise Scriptures like 2 Timothy 3:15-17 could not be true: "15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

There were ceremonies, rituals, and holy-days in the Old Testament for Israel which were only holy and right by God's appointment; not because they were inherently holy and right. And when it comes to such things there was a release of gentile Christians from having to follow these things (otherwise we would all need to be circumcised and practicing the rituals of Judaism). This release was done carefully and is seen in Acts chapters 10, 11, and 15. Even in these things, shadows of New Covenant realities, we still need to have the substance of them in Christ instilled in our hearts. As gentile Christians we need not be Jews outwardly, but we must be Jews inwardly. A true conversion to Christ grafts one into the Israel of God to partake of the promises of Israel's Messiah whose faith is founded upon Jewish principles and the foundations of His church are faithful Jewish men.

Key Scriptures to consider here: Matthew 5:17-18: "17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Romans 3:29-31: "29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

Romans 8:3-4: "3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Romans 15:8-10: "Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers: 9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name. 10 And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people."

Ephesians 2:10-20: "10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. 11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone"
That is also what the video of the OP points out.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so the 10 commandments are a guide to following those 2?
The 10 commandments are actually a remarkable expose' of different levels of relationship between God and man, and man and man. They were put on 2 tablets because the boil down to 2 laws and then finally to just the one (As Yeshua told us).
Anybody who thinks they can replicate or replace the commandments completely fails to understand them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i see, that makes sense, so I should follow them as a guide to loving God and my fellow man
Learn from them, it helps if we know the boundaries that He will never tell us to break, but learn to live by the Spirit within you. Live from His heart in you.
He will lead you into a life that is not possible by hanging around the fence and trying not to jump it.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i see, that makes sense, so I should follow them as a guide to loving God and my fellow man

Absolutely! With the understanding of course regarding the Sabbath that gentile Christians were released from following the Jewish holy-days- yet the principle remains that time is to be set apart for God for fellowship, prayer, Bible reading, etc and that to abide in Christ we must carry His yoke and thus die to self and rest from all opposition in us to Him living through us.

Matthew 11:28-30" "28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Hebrews 4:10-11: "10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief."

Upvote 0