What Christian based groups respect the Saturday Sabbath today?

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have the Messianic movement which I see as being very Biblical and true.

We have the Seventh Day Adventists which seem at first to be very Biblical but their embracing of their founder Ellen White I find very problematic because of the way she adds to things she talks about in the Bible. We're told in no uncertain terms not to do that. They call her a prophet but I find her prophecies much like other so called prophets: They make lots of nebulous, very general predictions and in hoping something is going to pan out. Nostradamus did exactly the same. And they never seem to talk about all the prophecies that didn't pan out. But besides her they seem alright I guess. I've listened to a lot of Doug Bachelor talks and find them very good though he doesn't seem to be the most spirit filled preacher I've ever heard. But maybe that's good. And he rarely mentions White.

So who else is out there that respects the Saturday Sabbath today?

• Agree
Reactions: Torah Keeper

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Shabbat shalom. Sabbath observance never really died out among Christians. There are debates as far back as the 2nd century on it that continue to this day. Although the RCC switched the Sabbath day to Sunday, other churches continued to rest on the 7th day.

Besides Messianics and SDAs, there are UCG, 7th Day Baptist, Subbotniks, 7th Day Pentecostals, and plenty of non-denominational Christians that keep the 7th Day Sabbath.

And the EOC seems to allow Sabbath keeping on Saturday, but doesn't require it. Perhaps "Not David" can explain the EOC position on the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Shabbat shalom. Sabbath observance never really died out among Christians. There are debates as far back as the 2nd century on it that continue to this day. Although the RCC switched the Sabbath day to Sunday, other churches continued to rest on the 7th day.

Besides Messianics and SDAs, there are UCG, 7th Day Baptist, Subbotniks, 7th Day Pentecostals, and plenty of non-denominational Christians that keep the 7th Day Sabbath.

And the EOC seems to allow Sabbath keeping on Saturday, but doesn't require it. Perhaps "Not David" can explain the EOC position on the Sabbath?
Saturday is still the Sabbath, and it is the day the Church remembers the departed since Christ rested on the seventh day. Also, fasting rules are more lenient on Saturday and I believe kneeling in not allowed on those days either.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Richard.

The Seventh-day Baptist Church is probably worth your investigation.

There are also several of the churches called "____ Church of God." Some of these are split-offs from the Worldwide Church of God founded by Herbert W. Armstrong (another modern "prophet") but not all of them are. So you might have to do a little research.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

Please read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We have the Seventh Day Adventists which seem at first to be very Biblical but their embracing of their founder Ellen White I find very problematic because of the way she adds to things she talks about in the Bible. We're told in no uncertain terms not to do that. They call her a prophet but I find her prophecies much like other so called prophets: They make lots of nebulous, very general predictions and in hoping something is going to pan out. Nostradamus did exactly the same. And they never seem to talk about all the prophecies that didn't pan out. But besides her they seem alright I guess. I've listened to a lot of Doug Bachelor talks and find them very good though he doesn't seem to be the most spirit filled preacher I've ever heard. But maybe that's good. And he rarely mentions White.
For me this section of your post (most of it) is gain say, and misinformation none of which is true which mischaracterizes SDA beliefs and is unsupported by any factual evidence. We do not follow EGW. We follow God through His Word in the bible. If you want to know what we believe your welcome to ask if your not sure. I am sure you will get a better response.

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For me this section of your post is gain say, and misinformation none of which is true which mischaracterizes SDA beliefs unsupported by any factual evidence. We do not follow EGW.
Explain why it is, then, that when people approach an informational booth sponsored by the SDA church, what the workers manning the booth do to interest such parties is thrust a copy of the book The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White into their hands.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Explain why it is, then, that when people approach an informational booth sponsored by the SDA church, what the workers manning the booth do to interest such parties is thrust a copy of the book The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White into their hands.
An anecdotal experience does not make up for what what 20 million people believe or do. This is the definition of thrusting -the motion of pushing or lunging suddenly or violently. This would be a very unique experience to have an SDA thrust a book at someone, maybe a polite offer sounds a lot more reasonable, but I won’t argue with someone’s personal experience. There are always two versions of the same event and people’s personal bias does make a difference on how things are perceived.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
An anecdotal experience does not make up for what what 20 million people believe or do.
I'm sorry but that alibi doesn't work. What I described does not happen without the church's backing, and what is being suggested to inquirers cannot be anything other than what it is.

If you were to stop at a political booth during some festival or maybe just get into a discussion with a neighbor and be handed a copy of Mein Kampf and be told to 'read this and it will explain what we stand for'....there would be doubt about what values those people hold, and there'd be no using the alibi you just tried out on me.

Having that happen as I described it wouldn't really happen, you might say. It was just an example, it's true. But the handing out of Ellen G. White's own writings to inquirers so that they can understand where SDAs are coming from is not hypothetical.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Have you even read The Great Controversy, Steps to Christ or Desire of Ages? If you have what are they about? Do you or any other Christian Church thrust Christian literature to people that are interested in finding out about Jesus? I do not know of any SDA that thrusts anything to anyone. If you mean give away free literature that may take a variety of forms to help others find their way to Jesus through the bible, then yes we do this as a part of sharing the gospel to all nations that Jesus commissioned us to do in Matthew 28:19.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but that alibi doesn't work. What I described does not happen without the church's backing, and what is being suggested to inquirers cannot be anything other than what it is.

If you were to stop at a political booth during some festival or maybe just get into a discussion with a neighbor and be handed a copy of Mein Kampf and be told to 'read this and it will explain what we stand for'....there would be doubt about what values those people hold, and there'd be no using the alibi you just tried out on me.

Having that happen as I described it wouldn't really happen, you might say. It was just an example, it's true. But the handing out of Ellen G. White's own writings to inquirers so that they can understand where SDAs are coming from is not hypothetical.

Why would anyone feel the need of an alibi to share Christ with others?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

These are two different things you are trying to extrapolate into one. The SDA church follows the Word of God, but that doesn’t mean we don’t value Ellen White writings. We follow God through His Word, the Holy Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
An anecdotal experience does not make up for what what 20 million people believe or do.

What DO 20 million people do? You want it to seem like nobody else would get away with such a policy. But you don't know that, and it isn't likely. It's more likely that this is an example of what DOES happen elsewhere.

More important than that, the fact that these SDA representatives did the same thing over the course of years puts in proper perspective the claims that say, in effect, "SDAs don't do such a thing. It's only the Bible that we follow."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What DO 20 million people do? You want it to seem like nobody else would get away with such a policy. But you don't know that, and it isn't likely. It's more likely that this is an example of what DOES happen elsewhere. More important than that, the fact that these SDA representatives did the same thing over the course of years puts in proper perspective the claims that say, in effect, "SDAs don't do such a thing. It's only the Bible that we follow."
20 Million people and growing is a lot of people that have been brought to Christ don't you think from sharing free Christian literature?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You want it to seem like nobody else would get away with such a policy. More important than that, the fact that these SDA representatives did the same thing over the course of years puts in proper perspective the claims that say, in effect, "SDAs don't do such a thing. It's only the Bible that we follow."

We do not have any policy of sharing Jesus with others. We just do it as God guides us through His Spirit and it seems to be working very well. I did ask you some questions in post # 11 and post # 12. Of course you do not need to respond if you do not want to it is up to you. :)

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0