Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMHO most churches I have attended are too cerebral and too formulaic. It's all about "correct" doctrine and "correct" ritual. There is virtually nothing about being a Christian: loving your neighbor as yourself, doing good to others, praying for everyone who needs it (including Trump, whom I detest), etc.

The church is failing because it lacks the qualities that Jesus had. How many thousands of people followed him because he loved them and did not judge them? He fed them, healed them, filled them with hope and love because they were all worthy of it. "For God so loved the world..."
how many thousands indeed ... and how many millions would crucify him today... as they did then :(
the problem is not that the church is failing but that it is not the church .. church has never been a building or a place you go to it is the people in whom the holy Spirit dwells and Who live obedient to the holy Spirit .

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2018
Oklahoma City
✟15,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

I have found what is missing many times in many people who call themselves Christians is any resemblance of peace and joy.

Sweetened in peaches.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
People who are under the law, even if they don't realize it, rarely have joy. Once
there is a predetermined way for everyone to behave, joy leaves really quickly, and is replaced by judgment of others. That ain't Christianity.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People who are under the law, even if they don't realize it, rarely have joy. Once
there is a predetermined way for everyone to behave, joy leaves really quickly, and is replaced by judgment of others. That ain't Christianity.
im inclined to agree with you on this point

Upvote 0

Chris Jones

Dec 7, 2018
Santa Fe
✟15,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had been a youth (pastor/leader) for years and was disillusioned with the fact that I couldn't hear GOD'S voice as I thought I should.

Frustrated, with telling others what the Christian Life should look like, but not knowing the power to get there or showing them how to get there.

Do, Do, Do

Don't Touch, Don't Taste (as Paul said).

One Sunday morning, I was shaving, as my family was getting ready to go to church (building).
It was a typical Sunday - or so it appeared...

Then....

GOD spoke!

To me - Of all people! Believe me, I wasn't ready for what I was about to hear.

DAD speaks to Eric "Son, I want you to STOP going to Bayview______ church" (i left the name out on purpose but GOD spoke the entire name.)"

Eric: Where do you want me to go - LORD??

- no answer....

I repeat my request, as to where do you want me to go to church? My thinking is, if I leave one I must take my family to another - right?

So that Sunday I ignored the LORD, thinking HE wasn't telling me enough.
And for 1 month (4 Sunday's) continued to go, there was a strange silence.

After 4 weeks, my wife comes to me and questions "Whats wrong?"

Saints, you can ignore what GOD tells you for so long, but it weighs on you.
And you also know, our spouses know us, they know when we are up or down.

You see, I didn't know what to tell her, if I tell her we aren't going to church anymore, she will wonder if I'm backslidden, and if I tell her what GOD said (very clearly to me), she will ask what I asked, in that ..ok, where do we go next?

So, I was confused - it doesn't take much at times...

But after a month of fighting what the LORD directly told me, I couldn't take it.
I told my wife, what the LORD told me shaving that Sunday morning.

What she then said, floored me!

"that is what the LORD told me too, but I was afraid to tell you!" she said!

We got on our knees and asked together, what do we do next?
The LORD spoke "You are to leave the church, so that you learn how to BE the church"

And we left that day, and never returned! Hallelujah.
The training HE gives, and the growth and the miracles just keep getting better and better.

That was years ago, and later the LORD sent an angel to confirm things for me, but that is another story.

Just like Mary told the servant at the wedding of Cana: "Whatever, HE says - do it!".
John 2:5

The other thing I learned through it, is this:
GOD won't give you the 'next thing', until you do the 'last thing'.

-eric

The Exchanged Life

Enjoyed your post; went to your blogspot and was warned that it was vulnerable to theft of my information - just wanted to let you know that.

Upvote 0