LDS What caused eternal matter to exist?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We shall all die. But is that the end of our being? If we had an existence before we came here we certainly shall continue that existence when we leave here. The spirit will continue to exist as it did before, with the additional advantages derived from having passed through this probation. It is absolutely necessary that we should come to the earth and take upon us tabernacles; because if we did not have tabernacles we could not be like God, or like Jesus Christ. … We are destined to come forth out of the grave as Jesus did, and to obtain immortal bodies as he did—that is, that our tabernacles are to become immortal as his became immortal, that the spirit and the body may be joined together and become one living being, indivisible, inseparable, eternal.11
Teachings: Joseph F. Smith Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Life and Salvation

“It is absolutely necessary that we should come to the earth and take upon us tabernacles; because if we did not have tabernacles we could not be like God, nor like Jesus Christ. God has a tabernacle of flesh and bone."
Gospel Doctrine, 1939, p. 64
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 154

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We shall all die. But is that the end of our being? If we had an existence before we came here we certainly shall continue that existence when we leave here. The spirit will continue to exist as it did before, with the additional advantages derived from having passed through this probation. It is absolutely necessary that we should come to the earth and take upon us tabernacles; because if we did not have tabernacles we could not be like God, or like Jesus Christ. … We are destined to come forth out of the grave as Jesus did, and to obtain immortal bodies as he did—that is, that our tabernacles are to become immortal as his became immortal, that the spirit and the body may be joined together and become one living being, indivisible, inseparable, eternal.11
Teachings: Joseph F. Smith Chapter 17: The Great Plan of Life and Salvation

“It is absolutely necessary that we should come to the earth and take upon us tabernacles; because if we did not have tabernacles we could not be like God, nor like Jesus Christ. God has a tabernacle of flesh and bone."
Gospel Doctrine, 1939, p. 64
Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 154
Perfect Mormon doctrine. Thanks for that.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This is a very rude way to speak about one of the great fathers of the Christian Church. Please keep in mind that this is a Christian messageboard.

Which part of this is rude?

1. The fact that I point St. John out as a spokesman for your beliefs?
2. The fact that I comment on St. John being male?
3. That I call him St. John?

I'm not sure if you just didn't read the source (I linked the entire thing, and brought from it to this conversation the illustrative points) or if you simply so convinced that it must either support Mormonism or be something to be scoffed at, but St. John Chrysostom goes to great length to establish just what is being talked about here, and what isn't, as well as why. For instance: "And that you may not think that he merely speaks of all the things mentioned by Moses, he adds, that without Him was not anything made that was made. That is to say, that of created things, not one, whether it be visible or intelligible was brought into being without the power of the Son." I have already highlighted in other posts where he specifically mentions what is unmade and hence meant to be specifically left out from this statement (e.g., the Spirit), which you have called very ignorantly 'an exception' and we call God by nature (essence, ousia, etc.).

That's okay, you don't have to be sure. And you don't have to be correct in the limited options you give as to my response. Close your eyes to the possibility that it could be something else other than what you mentioned and you can blissfully cling to whatever conclusions you want to thrust upon me. Not that I'm bound by those conclusions, but it does prevent you from understanding what is really going on. That's ignorance. However, if you feel it's necessary to insult me by calling my actions ignorant, then you go right ahead. I don't have any need for personal attacks or name calling in order to make my points in this argument.

Do you know what the word exception means?

Exception = something excepted; an instance or case not conforming to the general rule.

And here is the verse in question.

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

And mathematically, we have an explanation of the power set. Which for the purpose of this discussion would be the set/category of all things.

The elements of the power set of the set {x, y, z} ordered with respect to inclusion.
In mathematics, the power set (or powerset) of any set S is the set of all subsets of S, including the empty set and S itself. The power set of a set S is variously denoted as P(S), ℘(S) (using the "Weierstrass p"), P(S), ℙ(S), or, identifying the powerset of S with the set of all functions from S to a given set of two elements, 2S. In axiomatic set theory (as developed, for example, in the ZFC axioms), the existence of the power set of any set is postulated by the axiom of power set.[1]

In order for it to be true that all things were created by Him, there can be no exceptions. If it exists, it is a part of the "all things" power set. In verse 17 John mentions that Jesus is before all things. That's an exception - an instance not conforming to the general rule that all things were created by Him. He did not create Himself. As long Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost exist, they are part of the all things category. Because really, that is what all things means is all that exists.

St. John then goes on to explain how God and the Holy Ghost were not created. Two more exceptions to the statement that Jesus created all things (all that exists). These are two more items in the power set of all that exists that do no conform to the general rule.

No matter how you want to spin it, these are exceptions to a straight-forward statement made in the Bible.

Do I think the Bible is wrong? Nope.

What's going on here is that mainstream Christianity uses this crutch to support their view of the creation. When taken in context with other verses in the Bible it seems obvious to me that it is the wrong interpretation.

Again, you have not apprehended the meaning of what you have read, neither in the Holy Bible itself nor in St. John Chrysostom's commentary on it.

I always find it amusing that other people suggest that they know what I understand and don't understand. It must be thrilling to have such super human power.

^_^

Your own view based on Mormonism's erroneous and heretical theology, cosmology, and anthropology does not make Christian theology 'flawed'. No.

That's correct; my views don't make Christian theology flawed. The flaws in Christian theology make them flawed.

And I would like to see Mormons stop becoming magically 'Bible-only' when convenient, so I guess we'll both be left wanting. You won't be finding any Bible verses that specifically state anything about uncreated eternal 'intelligences', either, so it's a bit much to attempt to push such a standard on those who never argued according to it in the first place when you cannot adhere to it yourselves.

1. Did I make any comment about "Bible-Only"?

2. Do you see me posting quotes on this forum from anything besides the Bible?

(Unless I'm specifically asked about other sources.)

This is a distraction tactic. My guess is you want to pull attention away from the flawed Christian theology.

Again, you not understanding something doesn't mean there's any contradiction. You've created this false paradigm that is explicitly condemned by the early church itself and then claimed that we somehow can't account for it when the answers are right there before you from 1600 years ago, you just do not have the mind of the early Church with you when reading them, so you can only see reflections of your own anti-Christ, anti-Biblical doctrine, to a greater or lesser degree. And this other peoples' fault how? It isn't. You cannot but parrot the Mormon cosmology even when it is soundly rebuffed by the fathers who predate us all and learned themselves at the feet of the apostles and their disciples, the bishops established by them. So I will treat your baseless and uninformed condemnations with the same gravity with which you and your religion treat the early Church itself.

Right, because it always is a matter of me not being able to understand something. There goes that super power again. Pile on some false accusations about anti-Christ and anti-biblical doctrines. I haven't even posted any doctrines so at this point it would be impossible for that to be the case. What I understand however, is rather than dealing with the substance of my argument you have switched to full out personal attacks. I don't understand, anti-Christ, only capable of parroting. Any chance that you can just deal with the arguments I present and quit making this about me and what I'm capable of doing? Or are you unable to rebuff my arguments?

The point is that all that exists is not the same as all that was made, because God exists and He was not made.

Point out where I have argued against this view.

:)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Which part of this is rude?

Calling him 'boy'.

As to the rest of your incredibly ridiculous reply, which I have excised due to both its length and its inanity, I note that you believe we are apparently discussing Colossians 1:16, whereas I have consistently brought up St. John Chrysostom's and St. Cyril of Alexandria's commentaries on John 1:3, as what had been under discussion was what "without Him was not anything made that was made" means, as Mormons had brought this up as an example of the Bible supporting their doctrine of eternal uncreated intelligences, which, as the ancient fathers show, it does not in fact support. (This, and not from any claims of being a mind-reader, is why I can say with confidence that you don't understand what you are reading. You don't need to have any special powers to see when Mormons are butchering a Biblical or Patristic text to support their foreign doctrines, because we can read what the fathers say, and we can read what you say, and we can see that they're not the same thing.)

Luckily for you, Colossians 1:16 has already been discussed in the quoted homily of St. John Chrysostom, though I had removed the citation in order to preserve readability, so it's not anyone else's fault if they hadn't caught the reference. Quoting the same portion over again, we may read now with citation intact:

"Do you see the precision of his teaching? He has alluded to the creation of material things, (for concerning these Moses had taught before him,) and after bringing us to advance from thence to higher things, I mean the immaterial and the invisible, he excepts the Holy Spirit from all creation. And so Paul, inspired by the same grace, said, For by Him were all things created. (Colossians 1:16) Observe too here again the same exactness. For the same Spirit moved this soul also. That no one should except any created things from the works of God because of their being invisible, nor yet should confound the Comforter with them, after running through the objects of sense which are known to all, he enumerates also things in the heavens, saying, Whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers; for the expression whether subjoined to each, shows to us nothing else but this, that by Him all things were made, and without Him was not anything made that was made."

St. John is observing that Paul in his letter to the Colossians taught the same as John in his gospel, that no one should except created things from what God has created by virtue of their being invisible, but also by the same virtue should not confuse them and the Holy Spirit, as the Holy Spirit is not among the class of created things, being God Himself.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1:7, God breathed life into Adam. You can believe what you want, but it does not line up with, nor is supported by, God's word.
First of all, the 'breath of life' is a metaphor or 'other words' for 'the spirit'.

2 questions when you quote Gen. 1:7
1) Since God was uncreated, was the breath of life that He breathed into Adam,(that gave Adam life), also uncreated?
2) You should easily answer yes to 1). So since God passed an uncreated essence/spirit/breath of life into Adam, and hence to all man, I believe that makes part of all men, uncreated?

One part of man is the material substance, flesh and bone and blood etc. The other part is the uncreated essence that gives life to the material subsance. This is what Mormons call the eternal spirit of man, we also call it the breath of life. The bible calls it by many names, even 'the ghost'. Whatever you want to call it, it is uncreated, it is eternal, it has existed forever and will exist forever. It can live outside the body, but the fullest experience of joy will be when the spirit essence and the material flesh and bone will be joined forever. That is what the resurrection accomplishes. We look forward to the resurrection of a perfect, eternal, indestructable, exalted body of flesh and bone eternally associated with the eternal spirit essence that will give full life to our resurrected bodies.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like us they could have sinned but they choose not to.

What you are doing is taking one passage without looking at the whole doctrine. When Pres. Kimball was speaking he was addressing Mormons who would have understood his point and the doctrine behind it Can I take the passage 'Faith without works is dead' and understand the whole concept of grace?
Then they were not "like us". Either you are wrong or your apostles and prophets are wrong. Which is it?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? That's your response?

It doesn't seem that you are following the discussion. We can try this again when you are up to dealing with the facts.

:)
You are the one in error by claiming or alluding to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are "things". Therefore, your premise fails and your argument is invalid. Let me know when you want to try again with actual facts to deal with.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, the 'breath of life' is a metaphor or 'other words' for 'the spirit'.

2 questions when you quote Gen. 1:7
1) Since God was uncreated, was the breath of life that He breathed into Adam,(that gave Adam life), also uncreated?
2) You should easily answer yes to 1). So since God passed an uncreated essence/spirit/breath of life into Adam, and hence to all man, I believe that makes part of all men, uncreated?

One part of man is the material substance, flesh and bone and blood etc. The other part is the uncreated essence that gives life to the material subsance. This is what Mormons call the eternal spirit of man, we also call it the breath of life. The bible calls it by many names, even 'the ghost'. Whatever you want to call it, it is uncreated, it is eternal, it has existed forever and will exist forever. It can live outside the body, but the fullest experience of joy will be when the spirit essence and the material flesh and bone will be joined forever. That is what the resurrection accomplishes. We look forward to the resurrection of a perfect, eternal, indestructable, exalted body of flesh and bone eternally associated with the eternal spirit essence that will give full life to our resurrected bodies.
Uh, no. Nice try. God's breath of life completes his creation. With the creation of Eve, the rest of human creation is.... human creation. God gave us the tools (creation of human body with the ability to procreate) and the instruction (go forth and multiply).

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So then how can you and the others tell me I am "wrong"??? All you have is a theory and you are admitting it's a theory and that you don't KNOW. Meanwhile, I have the quotes of the mormon "prophets" and "apostles" who taught that God was once a man "as we are". Not once a man but different form how we are because he was sinless - no, they say "as we are". Well, we are sinful - so they are teaching that God was once a sinful man.

That's what the mormon "prophets" and "apostles" teach, I restate what they taught and then you and the others tell me I'm "wrong", then you tell me you don't know because all you have is a theory.

Which is it? Do you KNOW and can therefore tell me I'm wrong (and if so, provide the evidence for your "knowledge") OR you DON'T know and are wrong to tell me that I'm wrong?
The man that made the statement:
As man is, God once was
As God is, man may become

was Lorenzo Snow, and he knew without any doubt that although God was once a man, he was certainly different than the ordinary man.

God did, however:
1) He came from the womb of a mortal woman like us.
2) He had an imperfect mortal body of flesh and bone and spirit like us.
3) He got hungry like us.
4) He got tired like us.
5) He got angry like us.
6) He enjoyed good food like us.
7) He was emotional like us.
8) He felt happiness like us.
9) He felt pain like us.
10) He felt love like us.
11) He felt sympathy like us.
12) He was tempted like us.

IOW He was fully man, just like us in all ways. If it had not been so, as Lorenzo put it, Jesus could not have judged us. He would not have known what our experience was and therefore he would not be in a position to have pure mercy on us mortals.

If He had been of another species, (one that could not commit sins by their very nature) he would not have known the lowly gutters, and the beautiful high mountains of the earth and all the tempations in between. But because He became man, he did know and could judge, because He had to overcome the world also.

Lorenzo knew Jesus was sinless. He came into the world, with all the trappings involved in the human experience, but because he remained sinless, he was able to finish His mission to save mankind from their sins. It does not mean that he did not faulter, but finally He won the day and became our Savior.

So just because Lorenzo and other church members said that God became a man just like we are, you know very well that Jesus remained sinless even though all hell mustered its strength to bring him down. And if you didn't know before, you know now.

So yes, as man is God once was, and as God is, man may become. It is one of the most helpful statements a prophet of God has ever uttered. If you will use it as a guiding light, you will be forever greatful to Lorenzo Snow for saying it. It helps me to stay on the right path, because I know my savior went down the same path and made it. I know that because he made it, I , of the same species as him, can too beause he tells us that if we overcome this world, like he did, then we will sit on his throne with him. What a wonderful future we look forward too.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Uh, no. Nice try. God's breath of life completes his creation. With the creation of Eve, the rest of human creation is.... human creation. God gave us the tools (creation of human body with the ability to procreate) and the instruction (go forth and multiply).
So what is the life giving element in Adam and Eve's children?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying that man does not have a material side of him (flesh and bone and blood) and an eternal essence side of him (breath of life or spirit)?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
BigDaddy4.

See the following scriptures and tell me what you think the 'ghost' is?

Genesis 25:8 Abraham gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 25:17 Ishmael gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 35:29 Isaac gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 49:33 Jacob gave up the 'ghost'
Job 14:10 Job talking about giving up the 'ghost'. It is interesting because he is asking where is the 'ghost', presumably after he leaves the body. Job calls his 'ghost' a 'he'.
Lamentations 1:19 Priests and Elders are giving up their 'ghosts'.
Luke 23:46 Jesus commends his spirit to God and gives up the 'ghost'. This is interesting because we now know that 'the spirit' and 'the ghost' are the same essence.
Acts 5:5 Ananias gives up the 'ghost'
Acts 5:10 Sapphira gives up the 'ghost'
Acts 12:23 Herod gives up the 'ghost'

As you will see these people are all giving up their 'ghosts' as they die. Apparenty the 'ghost' is life giving.

Tell me what you think. Thanks

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BigDaddy4.

See the following scriptures and tell me what you think the 'ghost' is?

Genesis 25:8 Abraham gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 25:17 Ishmael gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 35:29 Isaac gave up the 'ghost'
Genesis 49:33 Jacob gave up the 'ghost'
Job 14:10 Job talking about giving up the 'ghost'. It is interesting because he is asking where is the 'ghost', presumably after he leaves the body. Job calls his 'ghost' a 'he'.
Lamentations 1:19 Priests and Elders are giving up their 'ghosts'.
Luke 23:46 Jesus commends his spirit to God and gives up the 'ghost'. This is interesting because we now know that 'the spirit' and 'the ghost' are the same essence.
Acts 5:5 Ananias gives up the 'ghost'
Acts 5:10 Sapphira gives up the 'ghost'
Acts 12:23 Herod gives up the 'ghost'

As you will see these people are all giving up their 'ghosts' as they die. Apparenty the 'ghost' is life giving.

Tell me what you think. Thanks
They breathed their last breaths and died.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Something to think about:

2 Thessalonians 2
8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;

2 Samuel 22
16 Then the channels of the sea appeared, The foundations of the world were laid bare By the rebuke of the LORD, At the blast of the breath of His nostrils.

Job 33
4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

John 20
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

4. On the language of this verse see ch. Job 32:8. The verse seems connected with Job 33:3. Elihu will utter his sincere conviction, and it is a conviction flowing from that spirit of God given him in his creation; this is a guarantee of its worth as well as its sincerity. The appeal is to common reason (ch. Job 34:2-3), which is a divine illumination (the lamp of the Lord, Proverbs 20:27), but in his animated zeal for God against the charges of Job Elihu feels that this spirit of God is within him in a powerful degree and gives him a higher wisdom than ordinary.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0