What can you do with chicken fat?

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There has been a low level cold running through the household, consisting of mostly just the blahs, everyone is tired for no reason. So I made a chicken noodle soup. Actually a large batch. I started with a whole chicken and just boiled the chicken for a while first. I kept skimming off the fat and by the time I was done I had quite a bit of chicken fat. All fresh vegetables and noodles and at least two hours later and I had a fantastic soup. A few spices helped too.

But is the fat worth saving or should I toss it?

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
There has been a low level cold running through the household, consisting of mostly just the blahs, everyone is tired for no reason. So I made a chicken noodle soup. Actually a large batch. I started with a whole chicken and just boiled the chicken for a while first. I kept skimming off the fat and by the time I was done I had quite a bit of chicken fat. All fresh vegetables and noodles and at least two hours later and I had a fantastic soup. A few spices helped too.

But is the fat worth saving or should I toss it?

Hi,

I love extra chicken fat, it actually sustains a burning wick, extremely well, until all the separated fat is burnt like those old time lamps with a wick out the side.

The wick has to be larger in fatness than a candle wick. I don't know why. Beef fat, from cooking and also separated by refrigeration in a thinner tall container, does not burn as well, but adding chicken fat to it, helps.

One day, I will find a way to move this out if my outside enclosed babeque grill, as I am afraid of starting fires inside my house from mistakes.

Yes, I burn the fat for fun and a little heat in a bowl, that I make a small piece of rope, serve as a wick. I use natural rope. I have used cotton clothes line rope, but two stands together, if the fame goes out.

Normally, a clay, or thick ceramic soup bowl of fat, burns for more than a full day.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
I have always made broth with just noodles, so I have never gotten enough fat to be usable. Why not try using it like any other animal fat? Frying a chop steak in it might get you legit "chicken-fried steak."
Hi,

This works also, your saving it for frying or cooking, unless you make too much, then throwing it out or putting a large wick in works to burn the excess wax.

Occasionally, I find frying bacon and adding that fat to chicken fat, or beef fat, really flavors the home cooking lard, that you have just made. Refrigeration or Freezing is required though for me, as I don't use it fast enough to keep it from spoiling.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can use it similar to butter if you like; for frying or spreading on bread. In Ashkenazic Jewish cuisine it is called "schmaltz" and is sold in many kosher grocery stores.

Upvote 0