• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What can I do to avert diabetes?

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, everyone,

I hope some of you here might be able to help me out. I am 32 years old and up till recently I ate quite healthy. 21 months ago I became pregnant and I am now mother of a cute 1 year old boy.
However, during my pregnancy I aparently became borderline pregnancy diabetic. (one doctor said I was, other doctor said I was borderline but wasn't). This came rather out of the blue because I am not overweight, which I always associated with diabetes, since I don't know much about it. (currently I weigh 130 pounds, and am working down to 125, for 5 foot 2) I was slender before the pregnancy, gigantic during the pregnancy and slimming down fast after the pregnancy. During the pregnancy the diabetes was controlled by a low carb diet, with no need for insuline.
The only diabetic in my family is my father who developed it later in life probably due to out of control alcoholism.

While pregnant, the doctors told me that, because of my pregnancy diabetes, statistically I have a very high chance of becoming a type 2 diabetic within the next 15 years. I want to beat that statistic if it is possible by making lifestyle changes now.

I eat a bit less healthy atm than I did before, because my wonderful son is an absolute handful. The first nine months he woke me up five times a night and I zombied through life. Regular dinners at the table were the first thing we re installed the moment I felt up to it. However, I know that what I am eating is probably not as healthy as what I ate before the pregnancy. (fast food once a week, but only a small portion, pizza once a week (sharing one medium pizza with my husband. I take probably about 4 small to medium slices.) , pasta once a week, but wholegrain pasta). My biggest weakness is fruit. I love fruit. I eat two or more pieces a day. (aside from a few other, less healthy snacks. a big cup of icecream once or twice a week, and my husband and I share one bag of crisps each week as well)

What do you think I should change? Should I try getting used to a diabetic diet and try and prevent it that way? Should I just make some changes? What can you advise me?

Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My mother and two of my sisters suffered diabetes and like yourself I am in a high risk area, not to do with having a baby of course! Mine is due to having two kidney transplants in 1977. The only advice I can give is to eat sensible and exercise. The exercise need not be too strenuous, regular walking, if have stairs use them for a little extra exercise. Doing this should help to keep you going. I would not start eating diabetic stuff unless you really have to, I have tried some and it tastes terrible. Like you I have been eating the wrong stuff, except I would eat a whole pizza and all the bad stuff I could find. I'm overweight (still) but it is coming down, over the past two years I have gotten rid of 40 pounds with another 40 to go. I hope that this has been of help.

Upvote 0

Tea

Sep 16, 2005
✟15,772.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Hi, and congratulations on your baby.
Type 2 diabetes is usually always genetically inherited, although with the amount of gross obesity now, we are pushing our bodies into the disease.
Type 2 occures when the body, for what ever reason, sets up a resistancy to absorbing insulin. The pancreas makes insulin, just that the receptors that acknowledge insulin in the blood system, recognise only some of it. This resistancy can be brought on by excess weight or hormones, or created by medications. In the case of gestational diabetes, it is usually brought on by the hormonal changes that occur in the body, and unfortunately is usually a precursor to T2 at a later stage in life.
Keeping you body as healthy as possible with regular excersise and ensuring that you eat a healthy diet, will keep the disease at a minimum, noting however that if you have the genetic disposition for the disease, you will only be keeping it at bay, and not ridding yourself of it.
Read, read, read, and equip yourself with as much knowledge and understanding of this disease as you can.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome and congratulations on your little one.

I'd suggest that you consider meeting with a nutritionist who is an expert in working with diabetics. They can teach you about eating well to help manage your eating and sugar levels. If you haven't already, you may want to see an endocrinologist to consult on what all your options are for best treatment.

I agree with Tea, educating yourself is one of the best things you can do to help yourself.

Upvote 0

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
http://diabetes.webmd.com/more-than-50-ways-prevent-diabetes

Important:
Slowly lower your intake of sugar.
Start replacing some of the butter & salt you use with other seasonings.
(not sure meantioned on above site)

Examples:
Start lessing the sugar you put in your tea to less than 2/3c. for 2 quarts.
We use HerBox sodium free chicken bullion granules, Garlic Powder, &
Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb in rice & corn instead of salt & butter.

Upvote 0

sherilou

Nov 18, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi - I am sherilou and have had T2 diabetes for 20+ years. There is no such thing as "diabetic food". Watch your simple carbs - cookies,cakes, custs of pizza (the good stuff is on the top anyway, just scrape that off and eat.) I would suggest to anyone who is at risk or new to diabetes to see a CDE. Many CDE's are also RD's - Registered Diatition. They can really help you fit in the foods you really like, like cakes, cookies, etc. without feeling guilty about eating them. Now, not all the time, but limiting them. As far as the South Beach diet is concerned, I recommend it. You may want to start with Phase II if Phase I is too restrictive for you. But both are fine. Phase II allows for a little more carbs right away.

You can also use the platemethod, which is how to space your foods on your plate - well, basically by dividing you 9" dinner plate in half. Put you veggies on one half, then divide the other half by half again for your protein and starches (carbs) If you don't have to count carbs don't. That can be very complicated. Many diabetics I know don't necessarily count carbs unless on insulin/pump.

Sorry this is so long, but as I was reading, many posts were very good, others are really afraid of diabetes. Yes, it is a very serious disease if you don't take care of yourself. But it doesn't mean you can't have the foods you really love. You can live a long and healthy life by taking care of yourself. Educate yourself as much as you can. I also get 3 magazines - Diabetes Forecast (from ADA), Diabetes Living and Diabetes Health. All very good.

God's blessings to you all.
Sherilou

Upvote 0

sherilou

Nov 18, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
:sorry:I am sorry if I offended with my post below. Having said what I said, it seems like I know many answers to things. I do, BUT I need to listen to myself most of the time. I have a very hard time staying within the eating I know I should do. Like I said before, I can eat my cookied, cakes, etc., but have them limited. I also get very depressed over this, like many people with diabetes get. I keep telling myself that God is in charge and then I go off on my own. I know He will help me if I would just ask Him more.

I agree somewhat with hermanchauw. If that works for you that is fine and more power to you. But everyone has to learn their own body and what helps/hurts them. In other words, work everything on their own terms.

OK, this one isn't nearly as long, but I was looking for a Christian forum where I could discuss this from a Christian point of view.
Sherilou:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Diabetes is a sneakey disease - you can have it sometimes for years before it shows up with symptoms. Don't get stressed over it and worry all the time. When I was diagnosed my doctor said 'don't eat any more sweets' - that was all the advice he had for me - needless to say I changed doctors.

Everything you eat turns to sugar sooner or later - we just don't need to help it along. You don't have to give up everything. If you want a piece of cake or something sweet, just average it out for the day - don't eat something that will raise your sugar along with the cake. Think white - white bread, white pasta, white potatoes - that will help - go easy on those.

You can get a testing kit at Wal-mart - start testing once or twice a week and watch the numbers - anything from 70 - 112 and some say 120 are normal - if it tests on the high side - cut back on the white stuff, sugars and high carb food. You can keep control better with it.

If your numbers are high before you go to bed - walk it off - you can walk it down 20 - 30 points in a 20 minute walk - in the winter, I use to walk through my house quickly for 20 minutes - that is equal to about a mile walk.

Don't be obsessed with it - enjoy your life. The testing kit will cut down on your stress and worry.

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Eva :wave:

Long time, no see. I just saw this thread, and thought I would see how you're doing and let you know what my doctor recommended since I'm not yet diabetic but headed that way if I don't change my ways. It's called the Idaho Plate Method, which goes hand in hand with the Glycemic Index.

Here's breakfast:
plmtbkf75.JPG

and here's lunch / dinner:
plmtld75.JPG

Upvote 0

ranyhyn

Put on the whole armour of God...
Jun 3, 2006
Georgia
✟10,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, everyone,

I hope some of you here might be able to help me out. I am 32 years old and up till recently I ate quite healthy. 21 months ago I became pregnant and I am now mother of a cute 1 year old boy.
However, during my pregnancy I aparently became borderline pregnancy diabetic. (one doctor said I was, other doctor said I was borderline but wasn't). This came rather out of the blue because I am not overweight, which I always associated with diabetes, since I don't know much about it. (currently I weigh 130 pounds, and am working down to 125, for 5 foot 2) I was slender before the pregnancy, gigantic during the pregnancy and slimming down fast after the pregnancy. During the pregnancy the diabetes was controlled by a low carb diet, with no need for insuline.
The only diabetic in my family is my father who developed it later in life probably due to out of control alcoholism.

While pregnant, the doctors told me that, because of my pregnancy diabetes, statistically I have a very high chance of becoming a type 2 diabetic within the next 15 years. I want to beat that statistic if it is possible by making lifestyle changes now.

I eat a bit less healthy atm than I did before, because my wonderful son is an absolute handful. The first nine months he woke me up five times a night and I zombied through life. Regular dinners at the table were the first thing we re installed the moment I felt up to it. However, I know that what I am eating is probably not as healthy as what I ate before the pregnancy. (fast food once a week, but only a small portion, pizza once a week (sharing one medium pizza with my husband. I take probably about 4 small to medium slices.) , pasta once a week, but wholegrain pasta). My biggest weakness is fruit. I love fruit. I eat two or more pieces a day. (aside from a few other, less healthy snacks. a big cup of icecream once or twice a week, and my husband and I share one bag of crisps each week as well)

What do you think I should change? Should I try getting used to a diabetic diet and try and prevent it that way? Should I just make some changes? What can you advise me?

There are some very good replies in this thread already, but I think there are a few other things to possibly add as well here.

What you had is called gestational diabetes. Since you had gestational diabetes you are at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes later in life. You have already been told this. I am assuming you were diagnosed with gestational diabetes based on the results of a Glucose Tolerance Test (sometimes referred to as an OGTT). You are fasting and a base-line glucose reading is taken. Then you drink a very sweet solution of glucose (it's usually a flavored dextrose solution actually) and then they take your blood at regular intervals to see how your body handles the sugar intake.

I am not a physician but if you weren't diagnosed in some fashion like above then you may wish to discuss it further with your primary care physician.

One thing you can do is see a registered dietician. They will help you develop a meal plan (not a DIET) to help you with keeping your sugar under control. If you get a good jump on it you can prolong your not developing diabetes and if you do later in life it will help keep it under control that much better. One thing that a dietician taught me that stuck out is to remember that dietetic does not mean diabetic. Eating something that may be good for someone trying to lose weight on a "diet" may not be good for someone eating on a meal "plan" who is diabetic.

Having diabetes does not mean you cannot ever eat sugar or that you can never drink a regular soda ever again. There are changes that will have to take place that's for sure. You will have to monitor your intake of "refined sugar" products (cakes, cookies, candy, etc.) as well as other kinds of foods and liquids that can increase your blood sugar rapidly.

One thing to keep in mind... CHOCOLATE does not increase your blood sugar rapidly. It has fat in it and as such it is a delayed dose so to speak. A life saver will raise your sugar faster than a candy bar will. A glass of orange juice or a tablespoon of honey will as well.

Diabetes is a disease you can live with. There are many different treatment options. Just because you are told you have diabetes doesn't mean you'll be injecting insulin three times a day right away. You could keep it under control for years with diet alone. Then an oral medication could be used and insulin as a final resort when you're well on into later life. Do some research as well from reputable sources.

The American Diabetes Association is one good source
The Joslin Diabetes Center is another

Diabetes can be frightening but it doesn't have to be. Try to find out if there are other family members who have had diabetes. If you don't have a family history with it then I'd say that's a good sign. You have plenty of time to get things in order to begin dealing with this if you eventually develop it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Many packets of food, in Britain at least have the GI (glycemic index) rating of the food in it. This can help you to decide if you are going to eat it. I cant remember whether you are aiming for high GI or low GI, sorry. You can buy GI cookbooks which can provide you with recipes full of nutriecious food.

My mum has type 1 diabetes, she eats seeds and nuts a lot and says this has helped to improved her diet. She has never tried to avoid eating carbs because they provide the long term sugars you need to keep your blood sugar steady - which is the purpose of a GI diet. The problem as someone has already said is the refined foods - things made from white flour etc that are the problem because they have lost all their goodness.

You mentioned you eat two portions of fruit a day. Again, in Britain we are all encouraged to eat at least five portions of fruit and veg a day to maintain a healthy diet.

Hope some of this helps.

Upvote 0

jehovahway

Jul 18, 2004
Birmingham .alabama
Visit site
✟335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello, everyone,

check this link love pH Miracle Living

Upvote 0
You ve been hearing a lot about ways to prevent such conditions as heart disease and cancer. But diabetes? Most of us assume it just happens. But actually, it too is preventable. Drawing on their extensive experience counseling people on nutrition and diabetes, authors Annette Maggi and Jackie Boucher outline the three key steps to preventing diabetes managing your weight, getting active, and building healthier eating habits. And they show you how to successfully add positive new habits to every part of your daily routine and find balance in every aspect of your life.

Upvote 0

jehovahway

Jul 18, 2004
Birmingham .alabama
Visit site
✟335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello, everyone,

A healthy way of eating will fix that,but
you haft to understand it has to be on going
Jesus says the truth will set you free
Look at the two boys that were type one and type two cured
Watch the video down the center about the two boys
pH Miracle Living

Upvote 0