What Can Be Done With Zero Republican Votes?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
they considered more than just the bills so trying to limit the focus is not valid.
Silly me. In an article which is supposed to show how far left Harris is, I would have expected the bills they chooses to accompany the article to have something to do with showing how far left she was.

• Agree
Reactions: MIDutch
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Silly me. In an article which is supposed to show how far left Harris is, I would have expected the bills they chooses to accompany the article to have something to do with showing how far left she was.
I don't think Congress has really considered much that's truly leftist. So even if she's the most liberal person in Congress (which she surely isn't) that wouldn't make her leftist.

If you look at their methology. what the rating actually shows is that she's consistent in supporting slightly left positions on most issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why can't you leave folks to their own facts? For some, Harris is clearly further left that Sanders and Lahey.
And they're not even proposing anything that hasn't been working for years in most developed nations.

In the over all global spectrum of political ideology, Sanders is barely center left.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Congress has really considered much that's truly leftist. So even if she's the most liberal person in Congress (which she surely isn't) that wouldn't make her leftist.

If you look at their methology. what the rating actually shows is that she's consistent in supporting slightly left positions on most issues.
Unfortunately, that fact doesn't prevent the extremist right wing trump supporters from lying about her (and most every Democrat).

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟97,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Unfortunately, that fact doesn't prevent the extremist right wing trump supporters from lying about her (and most every Democrat).

It is their standard MO, isn't it? I guess, when you only have one crayon in the box, that's the one you use.

-- A2SG, politics by crayola.....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

But every conservative gets to be called "alt-right" or something similar, huh?

These days, the "politically correct" crowd determines what jargon is to be used...and then they are upset when the rest of society actually uses it.

:doh:

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But every conservative gets to be called "alt-right" or something similar, huh?

These days, the "politically correct" crowd determines what jargon is to be used...and then they are upset when the rest of society actually uses it.

:doh:
Nobody thinks all conservatives are "alt-right." That's why it's called the "alt" right.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nobody thinks all conservatives are "alt-right." That's why it's called the "alt" right.
Sounds like a sidestepping of my point. The fact is that what I referred to is often done. In fact it's become SOP lately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

There's even a term among those on the alt-Right for "normal" conservatives: "cuckservatives" (a pormanteau of cuckold and conservative).

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's even a term among those on the alt-Right for "normal" conservatives: "cuckservatives" (a pormanteau of cuckold and conservative).
There are pejorative terms for every group but using them here is considered goading or flaming and is a violation of the terms of use of this site.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
so in other words the republicans will hurt the country again, let biden take blame them pretend like they will fix things.
Exactly. If a Republican wins this will happen.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, the rating showed her to be THE most liberal of all members in the Senate, based on her voting record.

It wasn't just that she was "slightly left" on some things but not on others or anything of the sort.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
However, the rating showed her to be THE most liberal of all members in the Senate, based on her voting record.

It wasn't just that she was "slightly left" on some things but not on others or anything of the sort.
Actually, what the rating showed is that she was slightly left on everything. That is, it showed that she was more consistent in a set of votes that characterized a group that I'd call slightly left. It wasn't that she took more extreme positions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What can be done with zero Republican votes? I suspect that we could find that enough so that the changes by Trump will be dwarfed.

Zero Republican votes isn't likely. Joe Biden is a centrist. If he espouses centrist policies, he'll get some Republican support in the Senate. Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, and (somewhat surprisingly) Mitt Romney are proving to be centrist Republicans.

The only lasting effect of Trump will be the conservative judges, low tax rates for the rich, and the loss of credibility of the Republican Party (plus his own bankruptcy).

Unless renewed by Congress, the personal tax cuts will expire on Dec. 31, 2025. The corporate tax cuts are permanent. Though Congress can modify these at any time.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Zero Republican votes isn't likely. Joe Biden is a centrist. If he espouses centrist policies, he'll get some Republican support in the Senate. Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, and (somewhat surprisingly) Mitt Romney are proving to be centrist Republicans.
Most economists, even Chsmber of Commerce favor the relief package. I think it’s unlikely that enough Republicans will support it to bypass the virtual filibuster.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
There are pejorative terms for every group but using them here is considered goading or flaming and is a violation of the terms of use of this site.

But I wasn't using the term perjoratively, just demonstrating its usage to support @Speedwell and his point. The alt-Right has contempt for traditional Anglo-American conservativism and favors fascism instead.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,598.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Romney is no way a centrist. He opposes ANY stimulus. I suspect that you all presume that cetrists are defined just by their opposition to Trump.

I doubt that any major legislation will get 10 Republicans votes. Perhaps a minor health car bill or a minor immigration bill could be crafted by a bipartisan committee could get 10 Republican votes.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0