Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At this point, banning guns isn't an option. The two reasons being that people do not want guns to be banned, and recently it has become impossible for any government in the United States to ban them.

What can be done to end gun violence? A "rat out your neighbor" hotline to report people you think might be dangerous? Gun safety education? A general deflation of the high people get by holding a gun? What?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
At this point, banning guns isn't an option. The two reasons being that people do not want guns to be banned, and recently it has become impossible for any government in the United States to ban them.

Well, even if we did the numbers of stabbings will rise (as Britain has a high number of cases). The issue in the person, not the weapon.

What can be done to end gun violence? A "rat out your neighbor" hotline to report people you think might be dangerous? Gun safety education? A general deflation of the high people get by holding a gun? What?

Preach the gospel. Sure, it may not end gun-violence (or any terrorist acts) immediately, but our world will be in chaos until Christ returns. We have the message of hope and peace, and one that changes hearts. We should be reaching these people who are seriously depraved in sin.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It’s kind of nutty to remove everything that once gave society cohesion and then act mystified at society’s lack of cohesion.

Guns have pretty much always been legal to own in America. So what’s changed in the last several decades which might account for higher levels of violence?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Guns have pretty much always been legal to own in America. So what’s changed in the last several decades which might account for higher levels of violence?
Nothing, since levels of violence aren't higher. The murder rate in the US is currently right around where it was in 1950. It's substantially lower than it was 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To protect yourself and your loved ones from gun violence, learn how to responsibly own a gun and carry one.

There've been many incidents in the recent years where a shooting was stopped by a bystander with a gun.

If you dial 911 for help, you'll be dead before help arrives and become a statistic of gun violence. If all of the good guys/gals carried one, the violent guys/gals would be a lot less motivated to try to persuade us with theirs.

Sheriff David Clarke calls guns 'great equalizer' in ad

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nothing, since levels of violence aren't higher. The murder rate in the US is currently right around where it was in 1950. It's substantially lower than it was 20 years ago.
My bias in this discussion is toward the right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

That having been said (and without checking any official figures), I must ask how many school shootings occur each year now. And also how many school shootings occurred in 1950.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, to be clear.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You'll never completely end it. What you can do is reduce it. I'd like to see how much it would go down if we would:

- Seriously confront and deal with bullying in schools. We still don't.
- Seriously confront and deal with the brokenness in inner cities.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I grew up with firearms, I don't have the fear of them that many people have.

Citizens should be able to use firearms for lawful purposes, such as hunting, shooting sports, collecting, and lawful self defense. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible with there firearms.

The Supreme Court (SCOTUS) in Heller vs DC 2008, affirmed that the 2nd Amendment confirmed an individual right to keep and bear firearms for lawful purposes. However, the second amendment can have reasonable restrictions placed on it, just like every other right in the constitution.

In 2010, The SCOTUS incorporated the 2nd Amendment To the states under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment.

Clearly, some people should not have firearms, the challenge has been to identify those individuals.

People who commit crimes, and are barred from firearm ownership, will not buy there firearms from a dealer that requires a background check. They get them from other criminals, or they are stolen.

Most shooting in this country are suicides.

What can be done, I don't know really, the issue is complex, and no course of action will make everyone happy.

The good O'l days, of having any gun you want, anywhere you want are over.

After the shooting in Parkland, I made the choice to get rid of my AR15, and M9, along with the rest of my semi automatic firearms.

I still possess 5 pump action shotguns, and a few others.

I could get behind a semi automatic weapons ban, except it will not end the problem, and would not end the attempts to further regulate firearms. Soon after a ban on semi automatic firearms, our hunting rifles would become sniper rifles, and our shotguns would become riot guns and "why do people need riot guns, and sniper rifles" would ECHO Through the halls of congress.

I have thought about buyback programs, however, to compensate gun owners justly would be to expensive since there are more guns on the street than the population of the country.

People can't seem to wrap there head around the fact that the criminal element, and others, will not but guns legally, nor will they store them legally, or, let the government but then back.

So, where do we stand, for me, to let only the military, police, and criminals have guns is worse than the situation we find ourselves in today.

I don't have the answer

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nothing can be done.

The hardcore types won't even accept licensing and insurance to the same degree as cars.

We just have to deal with insane mass shooting after insane mass shooting for as long as this country exists.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nothing can be done.

The hardcore types won't even accept licensing and insurance to the same degree as cars.

We just have to deal with insane mass shooting after insane mass shooting for as long as this country exists.
To be honest, I don't know why we even talk about it anymore. The NRA succeeded in perverting the intent of the Constitution that conservatives were well aware of as recently as 30 years ago.

So that's that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I don't know why we even talk about it anymore. The NRA succeeded in perverting the intent of the Constitution that conservatives were well aware of as recently as 30 years ago. so that's that.

Most firearm deaths are suicides, and are committed with handguns. Weapons like the AR15 account for about 10%, or less of firearm deaths annually in the US.

They are popular choices for mass killings, but there have been mass shootings with shotguns, and handguns. As well as automobiles, knives, and hands and feet.

Handguns are the real problem.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Actually, the last several decades have experienced declining levels of violence.

reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990.jpg

The trend has been for fewer people owning guns:
Gun-Ownership-Chart.png

There are, however, a lot more guns out there. Fewer people are owning guns, but those who do, own a lot more of them than they used to.

20150808_woc357_1.png

Upvote 0

Justasurvivor

Mar 5, 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟12,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

the only way to take away guns is to use deadly force which will start a war and personally I think it's ridiculous to do because there will be more dead bodies than all of the mass shootings put together

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We should make an effort to keep criminals and the mentally ill from having guns. Criminals are very likely to use violence in the future, if they've broken the law in the past. Most mentally ill people aren't of any danger to anyone, but we still can't identify the small percentage of them who are likely to become violent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
What can be done to end gun violence?

Move to Windsor Ontario - although its located just across the river from Detroit, Windsor went 27 months without a homicide!

Canadian border officials would prefer that Americans leave their handguns and assault rifles back home, because the only way to stop gun violence is to eliminate the kinds of weapons associated with gun violence!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Universal background checks. That means every transfer/sale of every gun will have a background check of the buyer.
I believe this should be the federal law.

Criminals do not follow the law, that's why they are criminals. Criminals are not going to submit to a background check.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Criminals do not follow the law, that's why they are criminals. Criminals are not going to submit to a background check.
Then they won't be buying guns from legal owner's or be able to buy guns online. Thus tightening up the loopholes that exist now.

Legal gun owner's will know that they are selling their gun to someone who can legally own a gun. The legal owner/seller will no longer be connected to that gun. When the background check is run by a licensed dealer the weapon is identified as being transffered to the new owner. This protects the old owner if the gun is used in a crime in the future.

If the gun is used in a crime and recovered, law enforcement can trace the gun to the last legal owner, which would be helpful in solving crimes.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0