• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What can be done to avoid civil war?

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by dad, Oct 7, 2018.

1. dad

dad On the winning side Supporter

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Too late to kiss and make up and think about one nation under God?

2. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    That would do it.

3. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Seems to me like most or at least many many many want no God.

4. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,154
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I hope not. But it seems less and less stable. More and more crazy. Polite people are not in my face about it. But neither do they seem anchored in the constitution any more.

5. section9+1

section9+1 Well-Known Member

+787
    Christian
    Married
    Maybe the UN will have to send in peace keepers. Like North Koreans.

6. chevyontheriver

+6,154
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Don't know. We seem to have to pick polarizing camps. I suppose we can just refuse to go to either one.

But I think 'one nation under God' is even a trigger point for many.

7. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    One big happy family....not any more. I wouldn't be surprised if God was acting against abortion.....

8. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,060
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (John Adams, October 11, 1798.)

We are becoming more inadequate every day, sadly.

Even so .... come Lord Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Akita Suggagaki

Akita Suggagaki Well-Known Member

+391
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    We have become a country of narcissists. We need a massive transformation through altruism.

10. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+3,509
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    But why be anchored in the Constitution? It's just a piece of paper. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then try to fix it. There are institutional mechanisms by which that can be done. The key is faith in the legitimacy of the very institutions, and that is something that is getting more and more shaken.

I mean, I've lost faith. That's why I ditched secular humanism and started nosing around in this neck of the woods instead. The checks and balances in this country were very cleverly set up, and they more or less worked for two centuries, but from a constitutional perspective, I think the system is at serious risk of failing, if it hasn't already. Whether it can be salvaged, I'm not sure, but the legitimacy of any government is tied to the trust that people have in it. That can be a fragile thing.

11. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    They better be well armed

12. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I guess the forces that want the US divided are those that want to destroy it.

13. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I don't find liberals or warmongers to be moral. Not sure a majority remains of others..

14. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,554
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I hope so. The shrill intolerance in our politics is something relatively recent.

15. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,705
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Sure. If the demonstration is not peaceable, send in the riot police.

Other than that censure Senators like Diane Feinstein for breaking the rules of decorum.

And remind people over and over and over how the MSM is pushing out fake news for the Democratic party over and over and over again, until journalists are shamed by their lack of professional integrity.

The answer to Fox news cannot be for the MSM to be the leftist version of Fox on steroids.

16. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,554
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    You were mentioning how the leftist can be just as shrill and intolerant but I think alot of that is a reaction to the frustration people feel with having a well-connected, powerful, anti-humanist, politically active religious-based movement in the US that makes having reasonable conversations very difficult. Because there's so much dogma and ideology in politics as a result. So some people have given in to despair and just opt for the more radical rhetoric and "punch a fascist" type stuff.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  17. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Seems to me that if most of the press were owned and operated by biased parties with an agenda, that there is no free speech.

That would be a national emergency.

18. dad

+1,183
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    The danger there is when both sides call each other Nazis and racists.

19. chevyontheriver

+6,154
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    My trust in the constitution has been based on the checks and balances it contained. And the liberties that were listed as coming not from that piece of paper but from God. Problem with the constitution is that it presumed a sort of Christian society that we no longer have. With the new secular and increasingly godless society that which was necessary to make that piece of paper work is less and less available to the society. As to trust, I think it's generally shaken and the institutions are more insecure than ever. The Senate? The Presidency? I could laugh. Sorry.

The 'Benedict Option' is something I think about as a way through this. Idea being at the fall of the Roman Empire a hermit named Benedict gathered some others and put together a framework that stabilized the next 1000 years in Europe as the other institutions fell apart.

Good of you to ditch secular humanism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  20. salt-n-light

salt-n-light Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,415
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    If God’s people would just humble theirselves and seek Gods face and turn from their wicked ways, God will heal their land.

In all seriously though, we have a more identity crisis than anything else.

But I more see that South Africa will face a civil war.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018