Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!"
Galatians 5:13-15

the Bible calls us to submit to one another. other and not worry about "Our Rights" I know that almost sounds un-American. :sorry: If we are followers of Jesus there is a good chance we will suffer, it is all over the New Testament. Don't be surprised when it happens but embrace it when you get to suffer for your faith like so many of the apostles did. I know, that sounds silly. Do we really know about suffering for our faith here in the U.S.? Still don't be surprised when we are opposed and/or slandered for following the Lord. Be joyful when that happens.
"Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh. For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: "Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth"; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."
1Peter 2:18-25

We are called to share the gospel (good news) with the world and not worry about the personal cost for ourselves. I wish I could say I always to that but God is working on me.
How many of us "go to church" one or twice a week and that is the extent of our faith? Am I talking about Jesus to my neighbors, co-workers, people in the street? Am I taking care of widows and orphans? Am I feeding the hungry and/or visiting those in prison? If I am busy doing those things maybe I won't have time to worry about what other people are doing.
Have we traded politics and "our rights" for the great commission? Do we expect a secular government to do the things that WE are called to do?
How can we tell if we are filled with the Spirit? Like this:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-14

I agree that there is way too much division and polarization in our country. Are hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, envy of God or of our enemy?
Our enemy here on this earth and in the heavenliness is laughing at us. They want to sow discord and division against us. It is no longer a rumor that there are people from other countries trying to divide us by intentionally sowing discord with posts, tweets,etc. Sometimes I wonder if there are bots here on this website trying to stir up division.
You can see on this thread how we are pointing at each other instead of each of us taking a good look at ourselves. Am I making things better or creating more division?
Funny the you say 'we' are called to do all that. And well you may have a point. But of the millions involved on both sides in the US, I daresay a majority would claim Christian status.

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny the you say 'we' are called to do all that. And well you may have a point. But of the millions involved on both sides in the US, I daresay a majority would claim Christian status.
Good point. Still, this is a website for Christians and I am talking to us followers of Jesus. Should we choose to keep our eyes on Him or worry about what other people including those who don't follow Him are doing?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can you say what is fake news or fake rumors? You simply chose to believe certain things. A civil war, in my opinion, primarily needs agitators throwing gas on the little flames. Who organized and sip ported the recent migrant push to the US? You thought that was some natural event? I wonder at all the funds spent on both agitating and fighting these things, whether it all might be better spent actually helping the poor folks...rather than using them and their kids as pawns.

As I said, a civil war requires a substantial segment of the population being willing to fight and die on both sides and for an extended period of time.

I've been in places where there was civil war, where killing and being killed was going on right around me.

America is not one of those places, not by a long shot.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good point. Still, this is a website for Christians and I am talking to us followers of Jesus. Should we choose to keep our eyes on Him or worry about what other people including those who don't follow Him are doing?

Worry...no. be not ignorant of the devil's devices...

Reactions: slobake
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that's right. For one thing, we are not talking about a literal civil war, and for another, only one side is being urged by elected officials, etc. to engage in the kinds of actions that cause us to have this worry.
one sided ?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that's right. For one thing, we are not talking about a literal civil war, and for another, only one side is being urged by elected officials, etc. to engage in the kinds of actions that cause us to have this worry.

You contradicted yourself in just a single sentence.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you're right. My opinion is that it is more serious now, because the underlying hatreds and feelings are more universal, and involve more than one issue or two.
With all due respect, why don’t you study what was going on in the 60’s and 70’s, compare, and THEN draw conclusions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a teenager in the turbulent 60's and there were some similarities to today but there were also some differences. There was polarization between the boomers and their parents but there was a unity in younger folks like we don't see today.

This post is not intended to support of oppose any causes or governments. It is just the memories of how a teenager viewed the world back in that time.

1968 was a year that had a major impact on me. I was 15 years old when the year started. I was really, really interested in girls, dabbling in mind altering substances, playing sports and listening to rock and roll. I was living in North Long Beach at the time. It was a very conservative, blue collar town. Lot's of low riders and I was seeing junkies and other types of addicts for the first time.

Here are the events of the year as I remember and here is the actual time line that I used to confirm my memories: 1968: a timeline of events

These are the memories of a young adult trying to make sense of the world. I am not intentionally making any political statements here. Some of my views have changed and some are the same.

I am 15 years old as the year starts
My brother is in the Marines fighting on the ground in Vietnam. Another brother is in the Air Force flying missions over Vietnam

The Tet offensive starts with some of the bloodiest fighting during the war. My brother is in Hue when it is overrun by the Vietcong

I can hear my mom pacing all night in the hall outside of my bedroom.
Massive anti-war rallies are taking place. I hear my parents talk about hippie trash.
There are several photos from Vietnam released that still stick in my psyche

ut-vietnam-girl-jpg-jpg.2896666

1338050923_vietnam_photo_by_eddie_adams_430-jpg-jpg.2896667

Martin Luther King is assassinated in April and I see my mom cry. A conservative older women crying over the death of a black civil rights leader. Race riots break out all across the country

Robert F Kennedy is assassinated in June

In August there are riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. I can still see the images on TV with anti war demonstrators chanting “The whole world is watching” Police firing tear gas and wading into groups of demonstrators with clubs. My mom is incensed about the demonstrators and stays glued to the TV. She shouts things like “Look at that, look at that” and “They should all be arrested.” I’m not so sure but I keep quiet.

In August the Soviet Union invades Czechoslovakia with troops and tanks to put an end what some people called the “Prague Spring."

My brother the marine returns from Vietnam there are tears and celebration. He takes me aside and tells me not to go to Vietnam no matter what. He offers to pay my way to Canada if need be.

A priest at our church gives a sermon and refers to our troops in Vietnam as murderers. My brother stands up, gives him the finger and storms out the door.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience releases "Electric Ladyland" in October. The music takes me to another place. I have never heard anything like this before.

In October several black American athletes raise their fists when the American National anthem is played during the medal ceremony at the Olympics. My mom is not happy, I think it’s cool, I am sent to my room.

The movie "Yellow Submarine" is released in November

beatles_yellow_submarine_move_poster-jpg.2896658

Richard Nixon is elected President in 1968, my parents are happy about it I am not.

In December the U.S. launches the first manned spacecraft to orbit the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why assume others are clueless?
If you have already done so, I stand corrected. I assumed that you were not looking at the current situation in the context of history because, as another poster stated, we have had far more civil unrest in other times in our history than we do now, without it leading to civil war. Also, history shows that people will not upend their comfortable lives to kill and put their lives at risk fighting their own neighbors and family. So if you were familiar with those things, I can’t imagine why you would think there was a chance of civil war here anytime soon.

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where does a civil war start? Does it start in our hearts and then come out of our mouths. We can disagree and discuss things but when we express contempt for each other it only serves to end communication and causes others to get defensive. If we want to avoid civil war even if it is a non violent cultural war what good does it do if we are all shouting our opinion and not listening to each other? Unity can start right here on this site and it can start with us listening to each other and treating each other with respect.

"But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."
Matthew 15: 18-20

Do we judge each other based on worldly things like what political party a person belongs to, their denomination, their church or their level of education? Or, do we listen, pray and try and understand who we are talking too. Sometimes for a brief moment I can shut off the junk in my mind and really listen to someone. I get to stop thinking about what I will say in response or reaction and just listen. I like the things I learn when I get to do that. I find that amazing and I know it is our Loving Father working in me and nothing I have done.

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
James 1: 19-20

"My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 1 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."
James 3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you have already done so, I stand corrected. I assumed that you were not looking at the current situation in the context of history because, as another poster stated, we have had far more civil unrest in other times in our history than we do now, without it leading to civil war. Also, history shows that people will not upend their comfortable lives to kill and put their lives at risk fighting their own neighbors and family. So if you were familiar with those things, I can’t imagine why you would think there was a chance of civil war here anytime soon.
You know, when there is distrust, things change. When I see an article about explosives planted in Soros and Clinton's homes there is the immediate suspicion of a false flag near election time. There seems to be a chasm between sides.

I am not from the US so I am not on a side although I basically think God will lower the boom if the baby killing dems get in again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does a civil war start? Does it start in our hearts and then come out of our mouths. We can disagree and discuss things but when we express contempt for each other it only serves to end communication and causes others to get defensive. If we want to avoid civil war even if it is a non violent cultural war what good does it do if we are all shouting our opinion and not listening to each other? Unity can start right here on this site and it can start with us listening to each other and treating each other with respect.

"But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."
Matthew 15: 18-20

Do we judge each other based on worldly things like what political party a person belongs to, their denomination, their church or their level of education? Or, do we listen, pray and try and understand who we are talking too. Sometimes for a brief moment I can shut off the junk in my mind and really listen to someone. I get to stop thinking about what I will say in response or reaction and just listen. I like the things I learn when I get to do that. I find that amazing and I know it is our Loving Father working in me and nothing I have done.

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
James 1: 19-20

"My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 1 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."
James 3
if I have contempt for evil doers that is not having contempt for each other.

Upvote 0

slobake

Oct 2, 2018
San Francisco
✟12,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if I have contempt for evil doers that is not having contempt for each other.
May have missed it but I haven't seen you showing contempt or questioning the intelligence of other posters here. Wasn't thinking about you when I wrote that, among I was thinking about myself after seeing some of the posts that veer off into personal comments. it never hurts of me to ask myself why I am about to post something.
If it is about me being right, looking good, or just about anything else based on ME it is better that I keep quiet.
I apologize if my comments seemed to single you out.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why hasn't God lowered the boom on Canada?
They sure have gone against Him. What you think nations can get away with it forever?

I would say canada has a lot to answer for. Probably a lot less war murder pillage and mayhem than the US.

Upvote 0