Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most if not all denominations disagree with one another about the way they understand scriptures. So many arguments, so much bitterness against one another. So what is it that we can all agree about as brothers and sisters in Christ? What are the things different denominations don't dissagree about when speaking of God/Jesus.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Most if not all denominations disagree with one another about the way they understand scriptures. So many arguments, so much bitterness against one another. So what is it that we can all agree about as brothers and sisters in Christ? What are the things different denominations don't dissagree about when speaking of God/Jesus.
Hopefully, that Jesus is the Christ, crucified for our sins and resurrected that we may have eternal life. Differences could be theological and doctrinal. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We should all be able to agree on God's attributes and all what Jesus said to us in the Gospels.

What is interesting is that denominations seem to have less doctrinal issues with each other about what Jesus said than the rest of the Bible.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should all be able to agree on God's attributes and all what Jesus said to us in the Gospels.

What is interesting is that denominations seem to have less doctrinal issues with each other about what Jesus said than the rest of the Bible.
We should, but it unfortunately doesn't seem this way. It makes me wonder how so many denominations were created when there should only be one belief and understanding of the word of God in accord with all Christians.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shared orthodoxy usually holds to the Nicene Creed.

Doctrines like Cessationism* vs. Continuationism will be an important point of contention until we see Jesus. Those who are tethered to Jesus will draw closer to each other as we converge on Him.**

*I got saved because of the outreach of Cessationists, so I do not discount their general orthodoxy.

**There are many other points of contention (like OSAS vs. Arminianism, Pre-Trib vs. Post-Trib Rapture, etc.) that will likely be resolved in the same way. In the interim, I believe that God uses these differences to make us "many members of one body" per 1 Corinthians 12:12-25.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We should, but it unfortunately doesn't seem this way. It makes me wonder how so many denominations were created when there should only be one belief and understanding of the word of God in accord with all Christians.
But do denominations disagree with the fact that God is:

Unchanging, Immortal, Loving, Righteous, Just, Holy, All powerful, All knowing, Omnipresent, He is merciful and gracious. He is mighty. Hates sin. Mighty. Spirit. Perfect, ♡

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess another way to say my point is that without doctrines, theology, interpreting the Bible... we all agree. Its where man disagrees with another man's view we get a deviation. Then of course because God is important to the person it matters (excepting willful deceivers). Hence a split in the Church and a new denomination.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess another way to say my point is that without doctrines, theology, interpreting the Bible... we all agree. Its where man disagrees with another man's view we get a deviation. Then of course because God is important to the person it matters (excepting willful deceivers). Hence a split in the Church and a new denomination.

Proverbs 3:5-6
What worries me is that many who believe are saved never will be saved because of certain beliefs they apply into their lives. Such as the belief: "once saved always saved". Backsliding into the world can unknowingly lead one back into darkness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What worries me is that many who believe are saved never will be saved because of certain beliefs they apply into their lives. Such as the belief: "once saved always saved". Backsliding into the world can unknowingly lead one back into darkness.
I can't see a scriptural basis for OSAS. But that is not what your thread is about.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That dilemma (and many others like it) is too important to ignore or minimize. But we can still love each other, in Jesus, while we disagree (and try to sort it out).

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can agree that we are all different
We can agree that we all are equal in the eyes of God
We can agree that we get the same inheritance
I'd like to think we can all say to ourselves that no-one understands it all

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus didn't tell us to worry about theology. He told us to act. To love, trust, forgive, walk, serve, bear fruit etc.

He showed us who are blessed, it seems to be those who need to rely on God in order to cope with life's challenges.

I don't think anyones theology or doctrine (or lack of) will get them into Heaven. It is whether they are truly in Christ Jesus or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't tell us to worry about theology. He told us to act. To love, trust, forgive, walk, serve, bear fruit etc.

He showed us who are blessed, it seems to be those who need to rely on God in order to cope with life's challenges.

I don't think anyones theology or doctrine (or lack of) will get them into Heaven. It is whether they are truly in Christ Jesus or not.
Yes, to make the word of God alive through our actions instead of our minds, and to study His word correctly in order to apply it correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, that isn't true.

If OSAS is true, once we sign on, we are in.
If it isn't true, we are expected to press in continuously.
The implications of this and other issues are very important to our eternal outcome.

Other issues like Cessationism vs. Continuationism will impact the efficacy of our collective ministries.

I don't expect to resolve these differences in this thread, but must show that they cannot be taken lightly as we seek the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, that isn't true.

If OSAS is true, once we sign on, we are in.
If it isn't true, we are expected to press in continuously.
The implications of this and other issues are very important to our eternal outcome.

Other issues like Cessationism vs. Continuationism will impact the efficacy of our collective ministries.

I don't expect to resolve these differences in this thread, but must show that they cannot be taken lightly as we seek the Kingdom of God.
I don't think you understood my point.

Jesus didn't preach OSAS, cessationism, continuationism.

He taught Faith, the kingdom of God and what we were meant to be and do. He pointed to the Father not to legalism.

The Pharisees in getting caught up in deciphering the law lost sight of God.

I see it even in myself that when I delve too deep I lose sight while worrying about who believes what etc. However, when looking towards our Father in Heaven we don't get lost.

We should read the scriptures more than we read books about scripture. Those influence the way we then read scripture.

I am grateful for when I get to hear background info to help me understand Biblical times or the scriptures but I'm not confusing my faith with issues such as whether I'm calvinist, arminian..

Again Proverbs 3:5-6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thomas1987

Feb 4, 2018
Ivano-Frankivsk
✟10,352.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The only thing all denominations agree on is that God exists . There are thousands of them but if you talk about mainstream ones then protestant denominations have in common that they base on scripture and not tradition , while others base on tradition and scriptures .

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus didn't preach OSAS, cessationism, continuationism.

He taught Faith, the kingdom of God and what we were meant to be and do. He pointed to the Father not to legalism.
Those things only constitute legalism when you try to impose them on others, not when you consider their weight on your own walk.

All these "-isms" are attempts at paradigms in the effort to honor Jesus' command, “If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

Upvote 0