What branch of reformed theology would this be?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If a reformed protestant agrees with virtually all of the five points of Calvinism except for unconditional election but instead agrees with the Arminian point of conditional election. Would they be an Arminian or a Calvinist who doesn't believe in unconditional election?

I'm using myself as an example here. I do not agree that God just picks and chooses his favorites and those are the ones he chooses. God looked through the future and foresaw everyone who would come to him for salvation and then he chose to die for those people (see most of John 10:11, 15 & Matthew 25:32-33) but that his sacrifice was valid enough to save the whole world (1 John 2:2). I mean most of the bible kind of proves this point (Ephesians 1:4-5, Romans 8:29, John 15:16, 2 Timothy 1:9, 1 Peter 1:2, 20 ...etc)

But I agree with all four of the other points of calvinism what does that make me?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No need for labels. I am not sure what it makes you but I do know you're a Christian though. :)

It's still nice to know what branch it makes you or if you are a unique entity of only one person. Lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's still nice to know what branch it makes you or if you are a unique entity of only one person. Lol.

Fair enough. However, I tend to not like to use labels because we have the tendency to get invested in a particular system or theology. Which is okay, but the issue comes when we start learning more and we realize that the theology or system is incoherent and is false and we try to make the Bible fit our system.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No need for labels. I am not sure what it makes you but I do know you're a Christian though. :)

Labels do have the benefit of summarizing what we believe in a single word or phrase though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. However, I tend to not like to use labels because we have the tendency to get invested in a particular system or theology. Which is okay, but the issue comes when we start learning more and we realize that the theology or system is incoherent and is false and we try to make the Bible fit our system.

Maybe. One thing I do notice about unconditional election though is that I see that a lot of people don't accept it because it sounds unfair. I mean it's basically God saying "k, you're saved, you're not, you 10 are saved but those 50 are not ..etc. Just sounds unfair although John 6:44 does seem to teach it.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. One thing I do notice about unconditional election though is that I see that a lot of people don't accept it because it sounds unfair. I mean it's basically God saying "k, you're saved, you're not, you 10 are saved but those 50 are not ..etc. Just sounds unfair although John 6:44 does seem to teach it.

I believe in partial election with conditional election. And it does seem very unfair but I don't think any of us would really want God to be fair if we think about it.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In regards to John 6:44, viewing it in isolation, wouldn't you say God is drawing or wants to draw everyone to him? Because even though God is drawing us to him we can still choose not to come.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If a reformed protestant agrees with virtually all of the five points of Calvinism except for unconditional election but instead agrees with the Arminian point of conditional election. Would they be an Arminian or a Calvinist who doesn't believe in unconditional election?

I'm using myself as an example here. I do not agree that God just picks and chooses his favorites and those are the ones he chooses. God looked through the future and foresaw everyone who would come to him for salvation and then he chose to die for those people (see most of John 10:11, 15 & Matthew 25:32-33) but that his sacrifice was valid enough to save the whole world (1 John 2:2). I mean most of the bible kind of proves this point (Ephesians 1:4-5, Romans 8:29, John 15:16, 2 Timothy 1:9, 1 Peter 1:2, 20 ...etc)

But I agree with all four of the other points of calvinism what does that make me?
That’s two points you disagree with. U and L. I would think you’d have to disagree with the I, also.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...I don't think any of us would really want God to be fair if we think about it.
Isaiah 30:18 Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It would be your own branch. Some people hold a hardline on what a particular theology teaches, some combine theologies. Best to study Gods Word for yourself and believe according to what is revealed to you through your own personal study.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Chuck Swindoll is among those Calvinists that only hold to 3-point Calvinism as you seem to affirm for yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I never understood how some modern Evangelicals believe in OSAS yet they also believe in free will, Calvinism is more consistent with its 5 points.

True statement. Calvinism has a solid logical construct for OSAS -- Arminian view do not so what you find is that there are a number of Arminians holding out the idea that you lose free will once you get saved.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never understood how some modern Evangelicals believe in OSAS yet they also believe in free will, Calvinism is more consistent with its 5 points.

To be fair OSAS has its different flavors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That’s two points you disagree with. U and L. I would think you’d have to disagree with the I, also.

Actually, I do believe in limited atonement. I believe that Christ died for the elect alone but that his death was sufficient enough to save the entire world.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It would be your own branch. Some people hold a hardline on what a particular theology teaches, some combine theologies. Best to study Gods Word for yourself and believe according to what is revealed to you through your own personal study.

I just find it hard to accept that unconditional election could be true. I mean it sounds highly unlikely that God would just pick his favorites and GIVE them faith don't you think? But all of the other four points of Calvinism are taught throughout scripture you know? There's only very small proof for unconditional election.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I do believe in limited atonement. I believe that Christ died for the elect alone but that his death was sufficient enough to save the entire world.
How do you hold to the I in Tulip as well while at the same time denying the U?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just find it hard to accept that unconditional election could be true. I mean it sounds highly unlikely that God would just pick his favorites and GIVE them faith don't you think? But all of the other four points of Calvinism are taught throughout scripture you know? There's only very small proof for unconditional election.
Calvinists find all of them in Scriptures, I find none of them at Scripture.

Upvote 0