What book of the Bible should I read for someone coming back to God?

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And someone,who struggled with faith?
Well, of course any of the gospels but if it were me personally, I would read Genesis 35 through 50... the Joseph story. The reason is that we see great "grace" shown by God throughout the life of Joseph. At times when it seems God couldn't be in His life, He was still there, step by step. This is an inspiring story about a "God that does not change." He always has been a God of mercy and always will be.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Somewhat of a difficult question not knowing how you read; but if you can go deeper than the surface; Ruth is a good one.
Interesting choice...a good one, but one I didn't expect.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I recommend John.
Good choice. I especially like John Chapts 14-17, of which I have a thread on for those interested:

John Chapts 14 thru 17 verse by verse

I also favor the NT book of Acts where we are introduced to Stephen and Saul/Paul.
Saul/Paul is one of the greatest conversion stories in the NT, IMHO..
When I came to Christ, I actually read the Christian NT first, then the Hebrew OT.

Acts 7:
58 and having cast him forth outside of the city, they were stoning [him] --
and the witnesses did put down their garments at the feet of a young man called Saul
--

Acts:8
1 And Saul was assenting to his death, and there came in that day a great persecution upon the assembly in Jerusalem, all also were scattered abroad in the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles;...

3 and Saul was making havoc of the assembly, into every house entering, and haling men and women, was giving them up to prison;

Acts 9:
13 And Ananias answered, `Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many evils he did to Thy saints in Jerusalem,
14 and here he hath authority from the chief priests, to bind all those calling on Thy name.'

15 And the Lord said unto him, `Be going on, because a choice vessel to Me is this one, to bear My name before nations and kings -- the sons also of Israel;
16 for I will shew him how many things it behoveth him for My name to suffer.'

618fa595d96014f0258c8b619dc610e2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Good choice. I especially like John Chapts 14-17, of which I have a thread on for those interested:

John Chapts 14 thru 17 verse by verse

I also favor the NT book of Acts where we are introduced to Stephen and Saul/Paul.
Saul/Paul is one of the greatest conversion stories in the NT, IMHO..
When I came to Christ, I actually read the Christian NT first, then the Hebrew OT.

Acts 7:
58 and having cast him forth outside of the city, they were stoning [him] --
and the witnesses did put down their garments at the feet of a young man called Saul
--

Acts:8
1 And Saul was assenting to his death, and there came in that day a great persecution upon the assembly in Jerusalem, all also were scattered abroad in the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles;...

3 and Saul was making havoc of the assembly, into every house entering, and haling men and women, was giving them up to prison;

Acts 9:
13 And Ananias answered, `Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many evils he did to Thy saints in Jerusalem,

14 and here he hath authority from the chief priests, to bind all those calling on Thy name.'

15 And the Lord said unto him, `Be going on, because a choice vessel to Me is this one, to bear My name before nations and kings -- the sons also of Israel;

16 for I will shew him how many things it behoveth him for My name to suffer.'

618fa595d96014f0258c8b619dc610e2.jpg

LOL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmm trying to remember, gospel according to John is always recommended for new Christians known as 'the Love gospel'

for those struggling...Genesis - I recall the story of Jacob who became Israel how he wrestled with the angel and said 'I won't let you go until you bless me' -shows he was determined to receive the blessing, even going so far as to trick Esau out of his birthright.

Isaiah, certain chapters emphasise and point to the Messiah which can really encourage those who might have heard of Jesus but not really put their faith in Him to renew their faith...and will rise like eagles, won't grow weary or faint (something I needed to learn as well)

Ruth's story how she left her homeland and her idol gods, turned to Naomi, vowed she would follow her God and went with her and was so blessed after following Naomi and her instructions is an inspiration for all of us.

There's plenty of stories in the Bible that show ordinary people doing the extradordinary because they simply had faith in God who does the impossible. Hebrews chapter 11 lists many of them.

Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

PSALM - as much as possible (but not rushed,) in as much of a chunk of time as you are comfortable.

Then Isaiah 1.

Back to Psalms.

And then a Gospel.

And so on.

Read the Psalms as a base. And, when you read a set of them and get inspired, try to move to another book - chapter or so at a time.

Pray for guidance on that; there are some things our Father won't give us in prayer, but I am certain He will give you wisdom if you want it in order to get back to Him, have a close relationship, and understand His word.

I was going through serious faith issues (still sort of am,) but, the PSALMS really helped me. Sometimes I would just pick random ones, and once I start reading I get so into it.

The problems, issues, doubts, etc. in the PSALMS are REAL - and so is the faith, reconciliation, restoration and comfort.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,072,977.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Read whatever interests you. And btw you can watch literal word for word Bible movies on You Tube like The Gospel Of John,
The Book of Acts and Revelations. The first one is as well done as any Hollywood movie, but they are all good.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
PSALM - as much as possible (but not rushed,) in as much of a chunk of time as you are comfortable.

Then Isaiah 1.

Back to Psalms.

And then a Gospel.

And so on.

Read the Psalms as a base. And, when you read a set of them and get inspired, try to move to another book - chapter or so at a time.

Pray for guidance on that; there are some things our Father won't give us in prayer, but I am certain He will give you wisdom if you want it in order to get back to Him, have a close relationship, and understand His word.

I was going through serious faith issues (still sort of am,) but, the PSALMS really helped me. Sometimes I would just pick random ones, and once I start reading I get so into it.

The problems, issues, doubts, etc. in the PSALMS are REAL - and so is the faith, reconciliation, restoration and comfort.

Thank you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You said, "Coming back to God".......read the same books that got you there in the first place.
I forgot which ones I read it was a while ago.

• Friendly
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian

Read the book Psalms and the new Testament. There's a book in the New Testament that the sheep is highly favored when the sheep comes back home. Jesus is the shepard and the we are the sheep. And His sheep knows His voice. So, Jesus is happy that you returned.

The faith is better once you surrender to Him, and your salvation begins. But the start of it is scary. When the bible becomes real. It scared me.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Read the book Psalms and the new Testament. There's a book in the New Testament that the sheep is highly favored when the sheep comes back home. Jesus is the shepard and the we are the sheep. And His sheep knows His voice. So, Jesus is happy that you returned.

The faith is better once you surrender to Him, and your salvation begins. But the start of it is scary. When the bible becomes real. It scared me.
Why did it scare you?

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟694,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did it scare you?
I'm not the one you were asking, but it scares me to see the Lords hand. Not in a bad way, but in a goose bumpy way. Seeing Him at work makes everything more real, and it doesn't fit in a nice pretty box. It means that we really do have to surrender, and it's the surrender that is scary.

Upvote 0